Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Dabo were to ever leave, IMO I think it may be partly because we
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

If Dabo were to ever leave, IMO I think it may be partly because we

Nov 26, 2018, 8:42 AM

have become such spoiled fan base. We are use to being in the top 5 and in the CFP as well as beating the coots like a drum most every year. We are use to undefeated seasons or a season with 1 to 2 loss seasons after appearing in the CFP.

But I can also understand why some fans were disappointed with the score and the D’s effort Saturday night. It was because it’s SC. I think most fans expected the coots to score 10 to 17 points on our backups not 35 points our starters. If it’s any other team do we as fans look at the 35 points the coots scored in such a negative way? I mean 56-21 is a nice WIN against anybody.

I think Saturday night we expected our Defense to lay it to Jake and the coots. We expected JB to be on the ground all night long. Instead of the fact JB had a career night against CW, Ferrell, Big Dex, Austin Bryant and the rest of our D. Unfortunately, I feel our D had an off night. It happens. IMO I don’t think our D was totally focused or totally up for this game. Maybe it was the point spread which I believe the 26.5 point spread was the largest in the history of the series and the D could have felt like it would be a cake walk. The fact is we scored almost every time we had the ball. We ran it a little more than normal, rarely through the ball deep but still hung 56 points on the coot D! The coots made some big plays and scored 35. But our D stopped 2 Red Zone TD’s.

I think some felt like we let SC play better than they really are and we did not play as the #2 team in the country. Our D did not play like one of the top D’s in CF.

I would be willing to bet that if we played the coots again this Saturday the outcome would be much different. Our D plays like pit bulls, TL lights up the coot D and our RB’s break a few runs of 50 plus yards TD’s. We may have put 70+ on the coots while holding them the 14 to 17 points. Either way we win while putting up over 700 plus yards. I believe the most the coots have ever given up.

The fact is we won by 21 points. The officials could not seem to find their little yellow flags so the could call those coots for holding
,for PI or defensive off sides. But they sure found those flags for calls against Clemson. It’s almost as if Ron Cherry had been part of the officiating crew! And there was one defensive call for delay of game that I have never seen called in a game in my 40+ years of watching or playing football.

I think fans were a little to quick to throw David Hood under the bus after all he and Nikki have done for Tigernet and for Clemson University. I think maybe Dabo took some fan reactions a little to personal and maybe would like to rephrase he closing remarks. He needs to remember it’s SC and fans are very passionate about this game.If we had beaten the coots by 100 points some fans would still find something to complain about.

I wonder how fans react if next year, the year after or somewhere down the road, loosing so many seniors, we end up out of the top 5 and miss the CFP. Will fans stay “All In “ or start throwing coaches or players under the bus. IMO, if we do, it’s one sure way to get anyone of our coaches to give other opportunities a second look. Right now we are at the top of CF with Bama. What happens if we have one or two 10-3 or 9-4 seasons. Will Clemson fans continue to be “ All In”

Before you answer that question be honest with yourself. Some fans are always going to complain, but the core fan base has been “All In” for a number of years because of Dabo’s success. Will we still be “All In” if we have a couple years where we are not top 5 or CFP worthy. I sure hope so because it’s just possible that we may have an 11-2 or 10-3 season coming up since we are losing some very talented seniors. I hope we just reload but maybe we find ourselves in a slight rebuild.

Dabo and his staff have worked really hard to get us to the top. He needs all fans “All In” to help continue to bring in 4 and 5 star talent.

I am “All In” and I hope Dabo , BV’s and most of not all of our coaches are hear 20 years from now. We are very fortunate to have a staff and a group of players who represent Clemson. Rarely if ever do you see controversy about Clemson Athletics or OSU type drama in the news media.

After Saturday nights game I hope we can all step back, take a deep breath and realize we are 12-0, we have won ?straight over the coots no matter how they spin it, It’s an L for them once again. I hope Dabo and his coaches can do the same so we can all move forward. And I hope the fans or the coaches don’t let the media bait us into controversy so they can create a big drama scene. This may distract the Tigers goals next Saturday or in the CFP.

“All In” and Go Tigers! 12-0 and Five times straight over those silly chickens in coot land. Let them celebrate their moral victories while celebrate the ones that really matter!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has there ever been a coach in any sport (college or pro) that

Nov 26, 2018, 8:45 AM

has voluntarily left because the fan expectations are “too high”?

That would make an excellent Hallmark movie special.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Has there ever been a coach in any sport (college or pro) that

Nov 26, 2018, 9:47 AM

Steve Spurrier left Florida mostly for that reason, at least that what he says.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And look how that turned out

Nov 26, 2018, 12:25 PM

lol somebody actually took the time to td that

Nov 26, 2018, 4:12 PM

Re: Has there ever been a coach in any sport (college or pro) that

Nov 26, 2018, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Has there ever been a coach in any sport (college or pro) that ]

Spurrier left Florida for the money. Redskins signed him to a multi-million dollar contract. Total bs that he left because the fans were spoiled.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

If you were right Alabama fans would cause him to go into the fetal position

Nov 26, 2018, 8:47 AM

Winning breeds high expectations.

Re: If you were right Alabama fans would cause him to go into the fetal position

Nov 26, 2018, 9:20 AM

We should have high expectations always. No where in my post did I say we should not expect to be top 5 every year and CFP eligible. I just wonder what would happen if we lose 2 to 4 games one season. Will you still be “All In”??

And I doubt Dabo would back down from a challenge or go into a fetal position over fan reaction.

But fan support and the family atmosphere at Clemson has helped us get to where we are as well as helped Dabo land some quality players who happen to have really good character.

I have seen Clemson’s fan base unravel before and it is possible it could happen again. Losing tends to change people. Usually not in a good way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Dabo were to ever leave, IMO I think it may be partly because we

Nov 26, 2018, 11:34 AM

Nice post. It's spot on, and you've made many good points. As for Dabo leaving, it seems that is exactly the point he was making. That is, if things ever got to a point where style points expectations become a real issue, then it would be better for him to move on. I wouldn't blame him.

As for fans being all in, many of us are. On the other hand, as with any fan base, there are factions of fair weather fans, fans who will always find reasons to complain, etc. It seems that some fans don't believe Dabo when he says it's not easy to win a game, and they haven't stepped back to think about all of the things that actually go into producing the product we see on the field each week.

When you think about it, there's evidence every week that shows winning isn't easy. Just ask Michigan, or Ohio State who narrowly defeated a banged up Maryland team just last week, and got blown out several weeks ago by Purdue. Sometimes Clemson makes it look easy, but it's definitely not.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Deketed

Nov 26, 2018, 11:53 AM

Nm

Message was edited by: jeancooper®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Nov 26, 2018, 12:27 PM

Anyone have any insight into the expectations of Bama fans? Just wondering.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2018, 1:42 PM

We are not Bama and never will be. We will make our own legacy but it will be Clemson

If that is the criteria, he certainly will never go to Bama.

Nov 26, 2018, 12:32 PM

NO fanbase thinks they are more entitled to winning all the time than them.

Nov 26, 2018, 12:41 PM

premise outright. The idea that IF Dabo left, it would partly be because of high fan expectations is just a non-starter. Our D played poorly Saturday. No one is calling for anyone’s head. No one is calling for anyone to get kicked off the team. No one is demanding ANYTHING. Many have said the defense needs to get it together. And that is as close to a “fact” as you can get in this discussion.

If Dabo ever left (and I firmly believe he will retire from coaching at Clemson) it will be an injustice to our great fans to place some of the blame on their knowledge of football.

null

Nov 26, 2018, 1:12 PM

Your point about retirement is also a thought that I had. Due to his success at Clemson, expectations would be high most anywhere he might go. It wouldn't make sense for him to go elsewhere unless leadership at that program was completely supportive of him, to include setting reasonable expectations.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Nov 26, 2018, 1:39 PM

I think you are so right. Would every Clemson fan and most fans of schools that face the yardbirds & their rude, nasty & contemptuous fans wish we had dragged Bentley up and down the field Saturday night, he’ll yes. First these last few teams we played were having record setting bad years and we have scored ridiculous numbers on them. Second scar is having their average year and Bentley is finally finding out how to be a qb about 3 years in.
I personally enjoyed the game.. not the bad officiating, terrible missed assignments etc but the back and forth that made this game at least interesting, who left watching the game wherever they were. It’s Scar and of course we would like to score every time we got the ball and end up 86-6, but this was a good game to watch. For us Clemson faithful the game was never in doubt. As usual we have 2/3 string subs in the first quarter and when needed the starters were out back out. If need be we could have put all of our first team in and scored. We need as much depth as possible to get real game experience, we lose too many players not to play as many as possible. Why isn’t a 3 touchdown win good enough. We have 33 seniors and that doesn’t count juniors like Big Dex that played their last game at Memorial Stadium. Does anyone doubt those young men left everything including part of their heart on that field Saturday night. For anyone to suggest that their effort wasn’t enough isn’t a Clemson fan that is all in. All in is just that, it’s when things are perfect and your proudly fly your flags and run your mouth. All in is also those hot summer days when those young men are practicing in ridiculous heat and injuries start piling up, where some players dreams end with an injury, but it is next man up and that injured player is quickly put in rehab and virtually forgotten by most fans. All in is when things just don’t click on a given Saturday ie Syracuse, but they still pull together as a team to get that coveted win. All in is always appreciating the enduring pain, injures, problems these young men encounter as maturing young men going through all phases of life academic, girl friends, family drama and still giving their all to their fellow brothers (because that is what they have become to each other).
When Dabo Swinney took over this program we were a very fractured fan base. There were some that were never going to be satisfied that we would get a coach as good as Ford, those still bitter all those years later and those willing to settle for the West or Bowden years. Coach Swinney came in and one of his priorities was to bring the Clemson family back together as one. I don’t know the details but coach ford started coming around more and to more games. COACH DABO SWINNEY has kept every promise his made that day he accepted this job. He has hired the best coordinators and all football assistants allowed by the NCAA. If a coach or assistant didn’t work they were replaced. So there is no problem with our coaches or our players. If we have a problem it’s a problem with band wagon fans or entitled fans who expect perfection. These new fans have forgotten the years of supporting our Tigers when we were hoping and praying for a win against NC, NC State, Ga Tech stomping our behinds every year, Duke or wake bearing us at Homecoming. We didn’t have national championship teams but some of the best athletes came through Clemson football at that time. We went to some great bowl games beating Major Harris & W Va, Ok, Penn State etc. Today these fans would find those bowl games as losers.
All In is not just a phrase, it’s a belief. No the coaches aren’t perfect and yes sometimes the guys get a little to hyped, but they played their hearts out, win the state championship by three scores and these seniors who I am going to miss greatly gave their all on their final night in Death Valley.
We won’t always be 12-0 this time of the year enjoy it instead of finding stuff to complain about a win

Nov 26, 2018, 2:39 PM

White space is your friend

Nov 26, 2018, 6:00 PM [ in reply to Re: If Dabo were to ever leave, IMO I think it may be partly because we ]

Really Good Post JeanCooper!

If I hear or read "spot on" one more time

Nov 26, 2018, 2:53 PM

something's getting smashed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If I hear or read "spot on" one more time

Nov 26, 2018, 4:20 PM

something's getting smashed.

Spot on ?

Don't Be So Gulliable

Nov 26, 2018, 4:22 PM

You fell for that straw man hook, line and sinker.

oh Good Lord***

Nov 26, 2018, 6:01 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic