Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Has there ever been 2 top 10 teams matchup at Death Valley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1,925

Has there ever been 2 top 10 teams matchup at Death Valley

Jul 30, 2013, 10:32 AM

Clemson hasn't been in the top 10 in years. Fla St is the only other ACC team to ever consistently be ranked in the top 10 and that hasn't happened in years either. They have recently started off highly ranked and then falter down the stretch.

USC has never been in the top 10 until lately and I just can't remember a game when Clemson has been top 10 and matched against another top 10 team at Death Valley?

This UGA Clemson game will be the biggest game ever in Death Valley. Keep in mind rarely do 2 top 10 teams play in the regular season and rarely are they from neighboring states. If any of you were fortunate enough to see the UGA USC game last year it was quite a spectacle. I expect to see the same in DV in a few weeks.

I was there as a teenager for the 1980 season ending with a championship in Jan of 81. The ACC is better today than it was then. Think it was a sellout when Clemson beat Wake 82-24 not hardly. Mark it down, the stadium will be packed and the atmosphere will bring tears to some as even old timers will have never experienced something like this.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has there ever been 2 top 10 teams matchup at Death Valley

Jul 30, 2013, 10:38 AM

2006 GT game was close but not top 10

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1988 Clemson - FSU (puntrooskie) game

Jul 30, 2013, 10:47 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/football/history/all-time-results.jsp

One of the best college football games I've ever witnessed. Was also sick to my stomach (and soaking wet) at the end.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Don't know about you, Bob, but I went from celebratory

Jul 30, 2013, 11:12 AM

cussing to outright cussing cussing after that game. I was soaking wet, also, but that was from p!ssing while barfing at the same time. lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too! You could have heard a pin drop in our section

Jul 30, 2013, 12:21 PM [ in reply to 1988 Clemson - FSU (puntrooskie) game ]

Heck I was high fiving because I thought the snap went over the punters head. Hell of a game. One of the best

Yeah I thought it was a bad snap too. If I remember

Jul 30, 2013, 12:36 PM

correctly, on the third down play before that, Chip Ferguson attepted to throw a pass but the ball slipped out of his hands and went straight up in the air. One of our guys almost caught it but didn't. If he had caught it, we would not have seen one of the most infamous plays in college football history. Which would have been fine with me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but, as they lined up, there were thousands chanting

Jul 30, 2013, 3:10 PM

"it's a fake!.it's a fake!"..the fake was not a bit surprising..because old bobby was a gunslinger back then, would not settle for a tie and would never go down "with his bat on his shoulder".

then, as memorable as the puntrooski was, deion taunted the crowd, pointing at the end zone as he waited to field the punt..he then ran it right up the gut 70-something yards, to score.. remains another awfully indelible memory of that game..and i became a deion believer that day.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Yes. Number 3 Clemson vs Number 10 FSU in 1988.

Jul 30, 2013, 10:50 AM

Not sure about others but that was one--Puntrooski Game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Germans

Jul 30, 2013, 10:55 AM

;)

maybe he misspelled unc in 1981?***

Jul 30, 2013, 10:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are talking about games at Death Valley

Jul 30, 2013, 11:00 AM

you moran

hth...

Jul 30, 2013, 11:04 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14120991

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then why didn't you reply to THAT post?

Jul 30, 2013, 11:10 AM

smh

bob, the deer lawd gave you a brain...

Jul 30, 2013, 11:12 AM

he'd appreciate it if you'd dust it off sometime.

smh

Jul 30, 2013, 10:50 AM

I want to say in '88 that FSU game had both teams ranked in top ten. But it was a long time ago and I maybe mistaken.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are not missteakin

Jul 30, 2013, 10:58 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/football/history/all-time-results.jsp

Jul 30, 2013, 10:54 AM

You guys found one I overlooked but it helps my point because it was such a good one.

Point was simply 2 top 10 teams playing against each other in the regular season doesn't happen often in any stadium so it will be quite a treat for both UGA fans and home team fans!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1977 ND @ CU matched two top 15 teams

Jul 30, 2013, 1:12 PM

ND was ranked # 5 and Clemson was ranked # 15.

Jul 30, 2013, 2:23 PM

This has nothing to do with your question, but Clemson was in the Top 10 for 2 weeks in 2011 prior to the Ga.Tech loss in Game 9.

Jul 30, 2013, 2:46 PM

There might be two such games this year; CU vs UGA and CU vs FSU.
Bet THAT has not happened before.

Jul 30, 2013, 2:46 PM

There might be two such games this year; CU vs UGA and CU vs FSU.
Bet THAT has not happened before.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1,925
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic