Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Has being in the SEC condemned Scar to irrelevance?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 982

Has being in the SEC condemned Scar to irrelevance?

Nov 16, 2020, 11:38 AM

Being admitted to the SEC certainly raised their profile. But, after all these years, has it really helped their program in any meaningful way?

SEC money, and SEC competition has done exactly what for them?

-Attract a great coach?

-Attract great players?

-Championships?

Where can they go from here??

Reminds me of a quote from somebody ... “Been down so long it looks like up to me.”

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, being Scar condemned them to irrelevance?

Nov 16, 2020, 11:40 AM

YWai

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

It has nothing to do with being in the SEC

Nov 16, 2020, 11:41 AM

They were irrelevant long before they joined that conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Has being in the SEC condemned Scar to irrelevance?

Nov 16, 2020, 11:44 AM

What was that SEC AD at the time thinking watering the league down by bringing in SCAR and Arkansas in the early 90's. Clearly they needed a couple of Welcome doormats.

uof6c was already irrelevant...

Nov 16, 2020, 11:46 AM

joining the $EC just further solidified the distinction.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Has being in the SEC condemned Scar to irrelevance?

Nov 16, 2020, 11:55 AM

I have been around Clemson v South Carolina for 60 years and one thing that is certain is the pendulum always swings. I remember saying back in the 80's that we may never lose to the chicks again but that did not last. We have very short memories because in the Holtz era, the games in their 5 game win streak were really not even close. No, they cannot compete now but is there another Lou Holtz out there that can turn things around? Time and huge checks will tell.

Re: very short memories, indeed

Nov 16, 2020, 12:37 PM

You need to check your memories.

Lou Holtz went 1-5 vs Clemson between 1999-2004. His only victory was a reasonably close game, 20-15. His tenure at SKar U does not qualify as a 'swing of the pendulum' as much as a 'step up from ignominy' since he suffered through 0-11 before taking them to 2 Outback Bowl victories over Ohio St. He finished with a 33-37 record as coach of the Chicken Fighters.

You are probably getting Holtz, the Slurrer, mixed up with Steve Spurrier, who WAS a swing of the pendulum before Dabo and our program matured and swung the pendulum back--and plan on keeping it.

I agree that many trends in history can be looked at as a swinging pendulum. Our rivalry with SC is not one of them. In the 50's and 60's the rivalry was fairly even. But since 1970, SC has never even won 5 games vs us in any decade. Even in the Spurrier era. 7-3. 7-2-1. 7-3. 6-4. 6-3. Total of 33-15-1, Clemson. If a pendulum is that one-sided, is it really a pendulum?

And no, the Spurrier games weren't close, but the last 6 Swinney games have been pure blowouts far beyond anything Spurrier accomplished.

Replies: 6
| visibility 982
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic