Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Has anyone on here ever Boiled Peanuts themselves?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Has anyone on here ever Boiled Peanuts themselves?

May 28, 2019, 8:42 PM

If so, do you have a quick recipe ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has anyone on here ever Boiled Peanuts themselves?

May 28, 2019, 8:46 PM

Water

Salt

Fire

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

May 28, 2019, 12:03 PM

He’s not lying. Pressure is a key ingredient for good ones. Oh and peanuts.

Crock pot on low for 24 hours, add 2 TBSP of coarse salt

May 28, 2019, 8:49 PM

Just as good as anything else.

If you want them super cajun style try putting a few

May 28, 2019, 8:53 PM

Tablespoons of this stuff

Mad Dog 357 Gold Edition Hot Sauce, 5oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016L0VRMM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GDD7Cb1M5JJQX

Or if you're insane half a bottle. keep the crockpot outside or it will burn your eyes in the house.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That reminds me of a story a friend told me.

May 30, 2019, 11:01 AM

He thought he liked spicy hot foods. He had never heard of a ghost pepper before someone gave on to him. He had the idea of boiling a couple of pieces of pepper in some hot water for "tea." He said he couldn't go back in the house for hours.

A man's gotta know his limitations.

Re: Crock pot on low for 24 hours, add 2 TBSP of coarse salt

May 28, 2019, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Crock pot on low for 24 hours, add 2 TBSP of coarse salt ]

I like them on the stove top rather than the crockpot, they seem to come out of the shell better with the stovetop version

Re: Boiled Peanuts at home

May 28, 2019, 8:55 PM

Use green peanuts, of course. I prefer a large pressure cooker. Usually do 4 to 5 pounds. Rinse to clean(some say to soak them but I never do); I start with 2qts of water. Heat and add salt to taste (I use a generous 1/3 cup for 4 to 5lbs). “They” say it should taste like ocean water. Add peanuts and enough water to just float the peanuts. I set cooker for 55 minutes. Let sit for 30 min after cooking and release any residual steam before opening pressure cooker. Enjoy!

You can freeze any excess peanuts for about 4 or 5 months.

May 28, 2019, 8:59 PM

Ok thanks man, where can you buy "green peanuts."

May 28, 2019, 9:35 PM

Farmers’ Market on Rutherford Rd in Greenville near intersection of 290 (N Pleasantburg). $1.00/lb

Most grocery stores wil have green peanuts.

May 30, 2019, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Boiled Peanuts at home ]

They are out with all the other fruits and vegies that you buy the pound.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

May 28, 2019, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Boiled Peanuts at home ]

Ok thanks man, where can you buy "green peanuts."

Re: Boiled Peanuts at home***

May 28, 2019, 9:01 PM

Most grocery stores will carry green peanuts this time of the year. Usually run

May 28, 2019, 9:05 PM

Close to $2 a pound - Piggly Wiggly had em on sale last week $1.28
pound!

Local Grocery Stores in NC DO NOT carry them . . .

May 28, 2019, 9:19 PM

I have to go home to the Sumter area, or go to a local produce stand that keeps a sack in his commercial refrigerator and beg him to sell me 8-10#s!!! Bi-Lo would seasonally carry them when I use to visit my Sis in Charleston.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2019, 9:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Boiled Peanuts at home ]

What he said, with a little known secret my Daddy taught me that I'll share. Add equal amounts of salt and sugar. Then you have two of the three essential ingredients in a traditional southern diet covered. If you figure a way to add fat, you'd have all three essential ingredients covered.

May 28, 2019, 9:09 PM

Oh, and if the bald peanuts aren't salty enough for you, let them continue to sit in the water until they absorb the right amount. If you don't have a pressure cooker, cook on stovetop for 4-5 hours. Continue boiling until they're soft when chewed.

May 29, 2019, 5:23 AM

Angela's Market on Atlantic Ave. in Garden City Beach has delicious boiled peanuts!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Add some fatback***

May 30, 2019, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Boiled Peanuts at home ]

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

May 28, 2019, 9:00 PM

Couple 3 or 4 pounds of green peanuts, 1/2 box salt, 2 crab boil seasoning bags, 12oz Texas Pete, 2 cans of beer. Boil em til they’re tender then let em soak until you’re happy with the flavor.

Note: the flavor will be stronger the next day after they’ve been chilled.

There’s also nothing wrong with just salt and water, the other is just for when you want something a little different.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I followed this recipe but the two cans of beer never got tender.

May 28, 2019, 9:54 PM

Any idea what I did wrong?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I followed this recipe but the two cans of beer never got tender.

May 28, 2019, 10:02 PM

Try microwaving them for 3-4 minutes before you put em in the pot.

Re: I followed this recipe but the two cans of beer never got tender.

May 29, 2019, 6:37 AM [ in reply to I followed this recipe but the two cans of beer never got tender. ]

The can is just like the peanut shell. Even if the shell/can is hard, the stuff on the inside should be tender once you crack it open, if cooked right.

Another option is just to enjoy the rest of the case while you wait for those cans to cook. Then you won’t care as much how those two cans turn out!

May 28, 2019, 9:02 PM

boil the nuts until desired tenderness with plenty of salt. Allow to cool until the desired saltiness and then remove them for eating. Allowing them to cool will let the nuts absorb the salt until you like them. As the nuts cool they will absorb more and more salt. Keep tasting until you like "em.

May 28, 2019, 9:04 PM

You will not find local green peanuts until the end of July. Others will need to soak overnight.

May 28, 2019, 9:20 PM

Key is to use Kosher salt instead of regular salt. 1/4 of a cup per pound of peanuts. I usually do 4-5 pounds in a turkey frier size pot. Fill till a little more than 3/4 full and cook approximately 4 hours until your desired doneness. Next let the peanuts sit in the water for 30 minutes to an hour to soak up the juices.

May 28, 2019, 9:24 PM

I grow and boil/roast my own peanuts. It is an experimental process for each person has their own desired favor and saltiness.

your handle checks out***

May 29, 2019, 10:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

May 28, 2019, 9:39 PM

green peanuts, water, salt and heat

May 28, 2019, 9:50 PM

Use raw peanuts. The larger "white" skin ones are the best but usually aren't in season until later in the summer--Usually around July. Right now you mostly find the smaller "red" skin ones. Local grown are always the best. A pressure pot is the quickest and best method. I have an 8 quart pot. Fill the pot about 1/2 to 2/3 full with peanuts (about 1/2 a peck). Add about 3/4 cup of regular salt (a little less if it's iodized) and 3/4 cup sugar. Add enough water to make the peanuts float. Lock down the top and put on the stove at high temp. When the top weight on the pot starts to jiggle lower the temp about 1/2 way and cook for about 30 minutes more minutes. Turn the stove off, put the pot in the sink and run cold water over the top for about a minute to cool the pot down and relieve the pressure. Remove the top and dip a couple peanuts out to taste test. If they're not salty enough let them sit in the hot water a few minutes more. If they're good, strain the water off, let them cool a bit and enjoy.

May 28, 2019, 9:50 PM

Use raw peanuts. The larger "white" skin ones are the best but usually aren't in season until later in the summer--Usually around July. Right now you mostly find the smaller "red" skin ones. Local grown are always the best. A pressure pot is the quickest and best method. I have an 8 quart pot. Fill the pot about 1/2 to 2/3 full with peanuts (about 1/2 a peck). Add about 3/4 cup of regular salt (a little less if it's iodized) and 3/4 cup sugar. Add enough water to make the peanuts float. Lock down the top and put on the stove at high temp. When the top weight on the pot starts to jiggle lower the temp about 1/2 way and cook for about 30 minutes more minutes. Turn the stove off, put the pot in the sink and run cold water over the top for about a minute to cool the pot down and relieve the pressure. Remove the top and dip a couple peanuts out to taste test. If they're not salty enough let them sit in the hot water a few minutes more. If they're good, strain the water off, let them cool a bit and enjoy.

Raw Peanuts, brine, and a pressure cooker....done***

May 28, 2019, 9:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

great peanuts at Sam's club already boiled hot or plan***

May 28, 2019, 10:13 PM

Re: great peanuts at Sam's club already boiled hot or plan***

May 28, 2019, 10:18 PM

If you cook them on the stove top, let them cool down in the water you cooked them in. As they cool, they will absorb all that salty goodness. Try it, you will love them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes

May 28, 2019, 10:19 PM

Lots of water. Lots of salt. Boil for 30 minutes

Re: Yes

May 28, 2019, 10:47 PM

We used to boil them all the time years ago. I found the effort and expense wasn’t worth it once I found the little corner mart across the street from Mauldin high school. Joel Ann’s I think is the name. She has them boiling all the time and if you get lucky she’ll have the big VA peanuts. I can buy them from her cheaper than I can make them myself and they are perfect

May 29, 2019, 7:01 AM

I usually boil 1/2 bushel green peanuts in large fish cooker pot. Pour in nuts cover with water and cook until crunch is gone in nuts or until your preference , usually 2-3 hrs. Turn off heat pour in one pound box of salt,stir cover and let stand 3-4 hours. Never fails. Perfect peanuts.

May 29, 2019, 7:48 AM

Add a splash of apple cider vinegar while cooking, secret ingredient

Dood, where the hail are you from,

May 29, 2019, 10:13 AM

Ohio?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

May 29, 2019, 11:17 AM

Who in here has NOT boiled peanuts themselves would be a better question

I Was Ignorant of Boiled Peanuts

May 29, 2019, 11:25 AM

until I moved to South Carolina.

May 29, 2019, 11:46 AM

cooking bald peanuts is kinda like scalding the hair off a hawg, just drop em down in boiling salty water

May 30, 2019, 7:36 AM

we heat ours up right out of the can

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2019, 8:10 AM

Biggest mistake is tasting them after they have cooked and thinking there is not enough salt. Find a recipe you trust and use that amount of salt. They soak up a lot of salt after they are done cooking and sit for a while. Don't ask me how I know!

All the time

May 30, 2019, 8:37 AM

I usually do 5 pounds in a large pot on the stove. About a half cup of salt and a tablespoon of sugar (yes, sugar).

About 3 hours at a full rolling boil, and once they are fully cooked, cover them and take them off the heat for about an hour. The fun is in the experimenting (and taste testing). Some people lie spices in theirs, but that is not for me.

There is only one place I will buy cooked peanuts, and that is Benton’s Peanut Farm in Sniders, SC. If they don’t come from there, I cook them myself.

May 30, 2019, 10:01 AM

4 lbs peanut, cover with water, 1/2 salt, 6 pack of beer.
Boil peanuts in water and salt, afterwards enjoy with the 6 pack of beer

May 30, 2019, 10:20 AM

Best quick way to cook boiled peanuts -

Start with "green" peanuts - they are not usually available until late July to early August.

Get a pressure cooker.

Put peanuts in the cooker, add water to about 3/4 full, add salt until water is extremely
briny tasting.

Cook on 15 lbs pressure for about 25-30 minutes.

Take off heat and let sit until pressure has dropped to zero.

Open, drain off water, and enjoy hot boiled peanuts!

tigercee

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic