Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Quozzel
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Quozzel

Jan 26, 2017, 3:42 PM

When's the write-up of current state of affairs for Clemson football?

Found this gem when things were crap.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=9874491

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

It's like they listened to him!***

Jan 26, 2017, 3:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: It's like they listened to him!***

Jan 26, 2017, 3:50 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Are you mocking or applauding? Do you think he was wrong?***

Jan 26, 2017, 3:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Are you mocking or applauding? Do you think he was wrong?***

Jan 26, 2017, 3:53 PM

Do you think I'm dumb?

Do you always answer with a question?***

Jan 26, 2017, 4:53 PM

I don't know the meaning behind anything you're saying. What I know

Jan 26, 2017, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Are you mocking or applauding? Do you think he was wrong?*** ]

is TDP just came off of a large contract ext for Bowden who we subsequently canned. Leadership was rightfully in question.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Quozzel

Jan 26, 2017, 3:54 PM

Wow!! Sometimes we forget the mood and situation of Yesteryear. TDP made quite a Hire in DABO. DABO made quite a change to the Program after giving him time to put his plan in place! Thank you for making me appreciate our NATTY even more! TU to you TigerWoods!!

Jan 26, 2017, 3:57 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Hard times.

Jan 26, 2017, 4:01 PM

Hard time to go through as a clemson fan. My pulse has never recovered. Patience truly was a rare virtue during that time, thankful the board of trustees and AD back Coach Swinney.

The sea was angry that day my friends***

Jan 26, 2017, 4:04 PM

Jan 26, 2017, 4:11 PM

He wasn't wrong , certainly .
Everyone who bleeds orange were feeling those same sentiments , and we all hate losing to the Coots .
I am so glad we stuck it out , even through another 3 losses to the chickens . Dabo had a plan and obviously it worked out .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 26, 2017, 4:12 PM

Hard to believe Dabo survived the 5 straight losses to the chickens. Those bowl wins vs LSU and Ohio State saved his career.

please tell me that you are joking....

Jan 26, 2017, 6:15 PM

"saved his career" ?

are we serious or are we maxing out the sarcasm meter today?

Jan 26, 2017, 4:16 PM

Things were bad back then.
Dabo has brought Clemson back from the dead. Yes we were almost dead back then.

I'd say he hit a solid double or a hustle triple there

Jan 26, 2017, 4:23 PM

Little overreactive to a bad season that even Dabo admitted was bad. But I'd like to hear what his summation would be now.

There does seem to be a bit of revisionist history on TDP and his tenure at Clemson. Lets face it, he caught lightning in a bottle with Dabo. It was the ideal TDP situation...comfort and cheap. TDP took the risk and knew that his legacy was going to be 100% tied to that.

But there is a dramatic turn from how folks remember to how things really were under TDP based on 1 game. The knock on TDP was no energy and no vision. (Shoot TDP even admitted he couldn't stay up to watch the Natty) Dabo had the vision for the football program, not TDP. Radakovich, Clements and Wilkins have done more to support and implement Dabo's vision than TDP ever did. Do you think we would have this ridiculous amount of administrative support under TDP? Do you think we would have the operations center under TDP? We pretty much went from the worst combination for vision and support in TDP/Barker to the best combination in DRad/Clements.

The rest of the Clemson athletic department was on a pretty steady decline under TDP, especially the last 2 years. Basketball was mediocre. Baseball was slipping and facilities and financial support was down. Soccer was stuck in the mud on both the mens and womens side.

Re: I'd say he hit a solid double or a hustle triple there

Jan 26, 2017, 4:30 PM

I would call him a soothsayer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2017, 4:45 PM

Yeah, I had the mads that day.

I was tired of the good ole boy network running Clemson into the ground, the lethargy, the lack of ideas. At that point Dabo was distinctly not looking good; he had Billy Napier running his offense with his five-different-colors-in-five-different-fonts offense (I saw the thing, it was like a gradeschool kid wrote it, largely because a gradeschool kid had written it...Napier was a good recruiter, but I don't think he shaved yet and certainly wasn't ready for the OC gig.)

Mostly, though, I thought the whole mess started at the top. There just wasn't any kind of vision for what we were, and what we could achieve. There wasn't any kind of accountability. The administration seemed almost hostile to athletics and were always coming up with ten different ways to seemingly tie athletics' shoelaces together...and sorry, that had a whole lot to do with Barker and his cronies. And we'd had two decades of guys like Tommy freaking Bowden telling us we shouldn't expect more, and were basically trying to program us into mediocrity.

Then Chad Morris came along the very next year. In retrospect, as much as we love Venables, this will probably stand as Dabo's greatest hire. And Dabo was ruthless enough to jettison Napier - who just wasn't ready - and he reached clear out to Tulsa to grab a high-school coach with an exotic offense because it squared with the vision Dabo had in his head for what he wanted Clemson's offense to be. An elite QB called Tajh Boyd who Dabo had stolen late in 2009 was waiting for Morris...and hey, the rest, as they say, is history.

Dabo got a head of steam, and never really looked back.

Who'd have seen it coming? Certainly not me, back in 2010. We were in some rough shape as a fan base and as a program then.

Jan 26, 2017, 4:50 PM

Everyone was in the same boat. You could tell by how many people bumped that thread. Lol.

Fun to look back on it now.

At the time...

Jan 26, 2017, 5:15 PM

an awful lot of people though that TDP's decision to remove "interim" from Dabo's job title was a HUGE gamble and a terrible mistake.

How many of those people would admit that now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

NO... not everyone was in the same boat...

Jan 26, 2017, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Quozzel ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=9587874#9587874

Christians generally say that the story of Adam & Eve was about original sin.

I personally think it was instead about

mankind's unerring failure to understand just how leadership works.

and while TNET will never be mistaken for the Garden of Eden

there sure are a lot of "Eve's" here...

The hissy fit though...

Jan 26, 2017, 6:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Quozzel ]

Come on, maaan!

Jan 26, 2017, 5:01 PM

He was radical back in those days..he is more at peace with himself now...lol

that was a rough season

Jan 26, 2017, 5:21 PM

def. should have played out differently.

We should have beaten Auburn the eventual Champs
we should have beaten UNC even though our offense was run up the middle, run up the middle, throw

and if Tajh started the game against USF we would have beaten them too.

imagine what our season would have looked like if we hadn't botched the snap on the FG against Auburn.

I think we would have seen a much better product the rest of the season. However it may have given Dabo pause to fire Napier and hire Morris.

That really was a rough season to watch but we have come a lonnnnnnnnng way from that season.

Stop This Neo-McCarthyism***

Jan 26, 2017, 7:11 PM

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic