Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas

Nov 5, 2013, 11:04 AM

Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmm, didn't know MSU facilities were that good...***

Nov 5, 2013, 11:11 AM

Is that on top of where Sherrill buried all the bodies?

Nov 5, 2013, 11:13 AM

That has to be the only reason he kept getting jobs. He knew the dumb site for violations.

That's a great looking facility MSU has

Nov 5, 2013, 11:17 AM

When I opened the article, I sure wasn't expecting MSU to be the school in question.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they should visit Oregon

Nov 5, 2013, 11:18 AM

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Bama's much better

Nov 5, 2013, 11:25 AM

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/1/4578810/alabama-football-building-pictures

Re: I like Bama's much better

Nov 5, 2013, 11:34 AM

I to was under the impression that Bama had the ultimate facilities. I did watch a series with Satan himself when he was talking about the pluses that their facilities gave them in recruiting. From what I saw of what they showed, it was awesome, but not much more than what we have at Clemson. GOOOOOOO TIGERSSSSSSS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have a 2-story weight room and an antigravity treadmill

Nov 5, 2013, 11:59 AM

I'd say what they have is significantly better than what we have. It's better than what NFL teams have.

Re: they should visit Oregon- we want to blow through $

Nov 5, 2013, 11:30 AM [ in reply to they should visit Oregon ]

like Oregon anyway. we are certainly trying to do that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haha not quite

Nov 5, 2013, 11:53 AM

Clemson's proposed Football Operations Center: ~$30 Million, 60-80k sq ft

Oregon's Football Operations Center: $68 Million, 145k sq ft

Alabama's Football Center: Renovated twice since 2005, and the weight room cost like $9 Million by itself. (couldn't find overall cost that included their meeting rooms, training room, hydrotherapy waterfall, etc)

Re: Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas

Nov 5, 2013, 11:20 AM

would never think Clemson would visit MSU for anything

their stadium holds what 50K

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2013, 5:37 PM

The money isn't coming to MSU from ticket sales, it's coming from TV. Sad that bottom dwellers from the SEC are out doing top notch programs in the ACC. If TV/ fan interest does not get generated from our conference's product the gap will widen.

The SEC used to say their conference was the best because they had the most fans. We used to laugh, but that statement could very well prove to be true. The ACC desperately needs some teams that the rest of the country loves to watch. This happens when there are great teams playing, but also requires great atmospheres, because the atmosphere at the game plays into the product on the field. If Ricky the dragon steamboat is wrestling Rick Flair at the National Guard Armory in front of 25 people, and 2 "no name" wrestlers are hyped up and fight on Monday Night Raw in front of a bunch of people, screaming announcers and overall hysteria, people tend to believe that the "no name" wrestlers are better, it's human nature to let the atmosphere affect your perception.

This is the myth that the SEC has perpetuated into dollars to build their reality. In summary: hype, conference fan support (including t-shirt fans) and craziness of each atmosphere is important for TV watchers which will equal more money which will improve recruiting which will improve the onfield product which will draw more fans, etc...

Nov 5, 2013, 11:22 AM

Spend the $ like you want Clemson but just a few years into your "be all and end all" football facility you now want to move over to the practice fields and use the westzone for something entirely different.

I'm not positioned to contribute like I once did but I would sit this round out anyway. This is because CU just can't develop a plan and stick with it. THe LJ second rebuild and this westzone / new operations building makes me wonder if you are trying to outdo the feds in squandering money.

I'm happy to support the team and Clemson but I'm not funding this

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally wasting money......

Nov 5, 2013, 11:22 AM

You have all this crap in the West Zone. Offices, cold and hot tubs, dining all and you want more. Ridiculous. You get blown out at home to FSU and now you ask form more. Why did you build the West End Zone? This AD is going to dig Clemson into so much debt we will never get out.

Re: Totally wasting money......amen

no long term plan or vision just one knee jerk fund raising and debt generating thing after another

I don't see how this is a problem...

Nov 5, 2013, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Totally wasting money...... ]

Focus on recruits #1

Bring in the talent, you'll bring in the fans. You bring in the fans, you'll bring in the donors. Everything should be aimed for the recruits. Coaches know that. Danny Ford used a self serve ice cream machine to haul in recruits...true story. Anything to get the best players...

Re: Totally wasting money......

Nov 5, 2013, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Totally wasting money...... ]

Well Dabo won't pay any of the 5***** like all the rest are doing. But knowing Dabo's honesty, he would get caught after spending his first dollar on a recruit b/c he would end up telling on his self:). Give me the money to get those 5*****. I'm pleading not guilty even on my death bed. Allorangeallthetime will N E V E R tell on himself, not in this life time. Only the strong survives in this world.;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Umm . . . yeah if you are going to compete at the highest

Nov 5, 2013, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Totally wasting money...... ]

level with teams like FSU (who I bet you think wastes lots of money for all the things they pay for their football operations) then this is not a waste of money for Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em coot***

Nov 5, 2013, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Totally wasting money...... ]

Re: Totally wasting money......

Nov 5, 2013, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Totally wasting money...... ]

If you build it, they will come.

Says the goob who pays nothing to TigerNet***

Nov 5, 2013, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Totally wasting money...... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Exactly***

Nov 5, 2013, 12:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Um, he can't spend Clemson's money on these projects

Nov 5, 2013, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Totally wasting money...... ]

Without the BOT approval. All D. Rad can do is come up with the plan and make the suggestion. If Clemson over spends, then it's on the BOT.

we're a top 5 program? what are they, pumpers or something?

Nov 5, 2013, 11:23 AM

what polls do they follow?

#dumpersarepissed

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed.

No more money for this mindless wasteful spending. He ruined GA Tech financially and he is starting it here.

LSU and Sakerlina seem to be doing OK

Nov 5, 2013, 11:28 AM

those were his stops before GT

Nov 5, 2013, 11:26 AM

Clemson has the indoor facility like most good teams have

Clemson has one of the best Stadiums in the country

Clemson has one of the most beautiful campuses in the country

Clemson has tradition

The thing I would add is the Student educational building like USC added a few years ago. The Dodie Athletic Center was a multi million $ building that is used heavily in recruiting. Spurrier even got them to the top in the SEC GPA and grad rates.

Clemson already has the other things they just need an Athlete only Academic building that is 1st rate. This is one area that USC actually beat the rest of the country to. Sure everyone has one but to put that much in an Academic facility for Athletes was a first and I think the reason they have gotten lots of kids who favor Clemson and USC what else could possibly sway them

Clemson built one of those in like 1992

Nov 5, 2013, 11:30 AM

Vickery Hall. And there are plans to replace it as well http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/30/3066917/clemson-athletics-director-outlines.html (see last few paragraphs)

2 Paws In The Sky ----

Nov 5, 2013, 12:46 PM

While we are doing all this building....
go ahead and give us the Oculus at Death Valley
with The Paw spotlight lit up in the sky during
footbll season. Then put another Oculus up at
Littlejohn and put that Paw spotlight up in the sky
during basketball season. Lord knows that may land
some great very well needed recruits for basketball.

When we build something like that, name it Vickery Hall

Nov 5, 2013, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas ]

This would be a great idea. Athletes have no place to go to get academic help at Clemson. I just can't imagine how we have gotten by so long without it.

Student Educational building? What are you talking about?

Nov 5, 2013, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas ]

Those are in house lawyers and an onsight jail facility so that USuC players can get accustomed to it once they gradua...I mean, leave campus...

"Athlete only Academic building" - done 20 years ago

Nov 5, 2013, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas ]

Vickery Hall was built in the 90's.

I do believe we were the first to do that.***

Nov 5, 2013, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2013, 11:38 AM

You can to see USC's indoor facility built in 1992 and compare it to the fancy one Clemson just built.

No comparison. you obviously didn't read the entire post. Sure Clemson has one built in 1992, you think it can hold a candle to a multi million $ facility built in 2011.

the recruits see 80K stadiums everywhere in the SEC and FSU, Clemson, BIG 10 etc, they see beautiful campuses at Clemson, Athens, Ole Miss, etc, they see indoor facilities at Clemson, the Big 10, most big schools.

What few see that really gets the parents on the coaches side is the Academic center. Sure a 1992 building will look good with the rest that Clemson has to offer but it can't be anything like The Dodie simply due to it being the top of the line and new.

Just a simple statement that gets the parents excited. If they are planning a renovation then that's a good thing. I guarantee it pulls more recruits to Clemson over FSU, Fla, UGA etc than an indoor facility that every school has. The reason is the parents get excited over the academic building

Re: Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas***

Nov 5, 2013, 11:39 AM

Nov 5, 2013, 11:44 AM

It seems to me a lot of you people could only complain about what we didn't have and how we were getting left behind and now you are complaining because we are doing things to keep up and you are complain ing about that also

To stay at the top Clemson will have to spend. And here's

Nov 5, 2013, 11:47 AM

the kicker-because the ACC does not have the same TV contract as the SEC--it will impact our budget more than teams around us in the SEC.

Re: To stay at the top Clemson will have to spend. And here's

Nov 5, 2013, 12:38 PM

That is the very reason I've said over and over until blue in the face that Clemson President and B O T's should have made it clear before agreeing to that insane buy out. That ACC should have made it clear that the ACC would also be just as aggressive in being a FB conference as it was in Basketball. And that all schools that wasn't going to strive to be all they can be in FB, wouldn't be getting a full share of the profits coming from FB. Until that happens, the acc will continue to be left behind. And it is going to make schools like Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT have less and less money to keep up with the sec. There is no way we can keep up with the BB schools building their BB programs off of even shares of our FB earnings, and our bowl pay outs. If I'm ESECPN, ABC, FOX or any other sports televising company. I'm not throwing a pile of money towards a conference that only has Four competitive FB schools. I could be wrong, but what other reason is there that the ACC can't get a money contract that compares close to the SEC, Pac12, or the Big10.

Yep, there is no satisfying everyone. Clemson Admin should

Nov 5, 2013, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas ]

do what they think will help and tell the armchair ADs and coaches who probably don't know anything of Clemson's financial situations to bug off...

Nov 5, 2013, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas ]

you're just wrong. all we are doing is redoing what we've already done. it borders on the ole bait and switch.

when the indoor track was built they said football could also use it if necessary. once it got built then it wasnt suitable for football we needed something else. the Westzone was the answer for moving football forward along with the new indoor practice facility. now suddenly we are needing to build something else to do the same job as the Westzone.

No this is a money and power grab pure and simple. The LJ thing is bad enough after 10 years but this is totally absurd. We cant even finish the Westzone before we must change it

I understand where you're coming from, but what if these

Nov 5, 2013, 11:59 AM

facilities were half###ed to begin with and aren't really comparable to larger programs. I can't say how Clemson facilities compare to other big programs...I've heard good things so maybe this is a waist of money. If they aren't up to par though, then it really isn't our current AD's fault, but previous ones for neglecting the FB program.

Does anyone know if Clemson has a player lounge? Maybe the WEZ will be turned into one along with the Oculus after the other facility is built.

Nov 5, 2013, 11:47 AM

Yes, I toured The Roost in Columbia in the late 80s. Great place like Vickery hall from the early 90s and Vickery was better

I have seen UGAs and Bamas newer versions, nothing compares to what I saw on a summer trip touring the new facilities at USC.

I am telling you if any of you work for a fortune 100 company and have been to the company headquarters this would beat it. I have given presentations on Wall Street at an international company head quarters board room and that is about as close to it as I could imagine. bathrooms like a Nordstrom's in a fancy mall, you think you need to leave a tip, cafeteria with the best food on campus, just meant to set a tone of academics first. Not saying they are at USC but they can at least make the people think that

That kind of wow is what gets parents attention. Please don't put Vickery Hall in that category. Nobody can compare with Clemson's indoor facility because it is the newest one. Similarly nobody compare to what they have done the road in Columbia and I actually thought they beat people to the punch by improving on what everyone else had and taking it to another level. they can never compete with campus environment, location in the upstate with the lake and mountains, etc so they tried something different and I think it works on some of the kids that is all

Tell 'em coot

Nov 5, 2013, 11:49 AM

Quit digging your hole

Nov 5, 2013, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas ]

were you able to walk through the room containing your trophy case? Is there still an echo?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They also toured 2 other SEC schools yesterday...

Nov 5, 2013, 11:52 AM

UT and Bama.

UT has a primo stadium lounge area. I got to visit it when

Nov 5, 2013, 12:48 PM

the conference I attended in Knoxville had a reception in there. One side looks into the stadium and the other looks out over the river.

Nov 5, 2013, 11:57 AM

Bottom line is Clemson seems to be taking building improvement seriously.

the Littlejohn debacle is embarrassing but the fact that they are looking shows the desire to take it to another level.

it is easy to get complacent in a place like Clemson. Beautiful campus, nice, big stadium, beautiful surroundings, etc

Look at Charlotte hornets, built the top of the line coliseum in 88 and by mid 90s it wasn't good enough and other teams had built better more amenities etc. It is a constant keep up with the jones' type of situation

it has to be frustrating for administrators

Nov 5, 2013, 12:28 PM

Unfortunately is important that CU have such 'over-the-top' facilities to compete for recruits. For most players, this is the last competitive football that they will play, so they will never see NFL facilities. I hope that CU prioritizes academic aspects so that the non-NFL players have the best post-Clemson lives possible and Clemson maintains their high graduation rates.

While I don't disagree with that, Clemson may want to share

Nov 5, 2013, 12:34 PM

that info silently with the recruit's mothers. Proclaiming you have the best facilities for guys that won't make it to the NFL doesn't exactly instill confidence in your players that you'll take them to the next level.

The Ancient Greeks had a word: Arete

Nov 5, 2013, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas ]

Excellence in ALL things.

Read Stupid......

Nov 5, 2013, 12:51 PM

We are not saying don't spend money. We are saying spend money using your brain. Was the West End Zone not supposed to be the end all be all. It was scaled back a few times during planning due to lack of money. But now we need more and its not even done? Get a plan....build it....stop all these little projects to patch this and that.

good thing the admin never listened to Jess Neely and you***

Nov 5, 2013, 1:40 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you enjoy FSU?

Nov 5, 2013, 12:54 PM

Also, how about we spend some money on the stadium. Was it easy to get tickets to FSU? What about spending on more seating so people have more space between seats.

No reason to spend money on seats if you don't have the

Nov 5, 2013, 12:59 PM

butts to put them in it. That'll happen if you don't have the players. Spending money on the recruits is the wise, long term investment. Besides, the stands will be filled regardless of their comfort if Clemson remains in the top ten annually.

Re: Football Update: Report: Clemson visits SEC school for facility ideas***

Nov 5, 2013, 1:46 PM

Nov 5, 2013, 1:49 PM

Top ten annually will only occur if you have a Georgia to whip at the beginning. Consider where we are if Georgia were replaced by MTSU or Elton?

Our school was modeled after Mississippi State...

Nov 5, 2013, 2:18 PM

no reason to stop I guess.

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic