Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Had to put 8 1/2 year old Beagle to sleep today...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 3,827

Had to put 8 1/2 year old Beagle to sleep today...

Dec 10, 2014, 10:33 PM

So sad to see pets die. If only they lived as long as humans. Don't know if my wife and I can get attached to another one.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prayers for you! It will be 1 year ago this Friday we had to

Dec 10, 2014, 10:34 PM

put our 15 year old Golden Retriever to sleep. I miss her everyday.

Re: Had to put 8 1/2 year old Beagle to sleep today...

Dec 10, 2014, 10:39 PM

It takes time my friend, but if you rescue another critter from the shelter, you'll be surprised at how quickly you fall in love with it. Happened to us after losing a much loved pet. Prayers for you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Echoes

Dec 10, 2014, 10:47 PM

Had to make the same decision almost 2 years ago with our 12 1/2 year old Beagle, Spud, who just simply wore out after battling Cushings disease. Still miss him every day. But.....we rescued another 5 year old Beagle in October, 2013 and he's amazing. Scared to death when we got him but now we know we did the right thing. Hang in there my friend........it'll get better but you never really get over it!

Dec 10, 2014, 10:52 PM

Man I feel.your pain. Had to put my 2 lab mixes down at 16 and thought I would.never get over it. Laying here with another one I got 6 months later. You can never replace them and you never forget them but life is just better with a dog in it. Hang in there and save another one.

Dec 10, 2014, 11:05 PM

We had to do the same to our Rudy February 26th. Hardest thing I've had to do. He literally had a heart attack in my wife's lap at Clemson Elementary that morning. We debated getting another for about 4 months. She found the one we have now thru a rescue organization.
He has turned out to be a wonderful addition to our home. We still miss Rudy but Opie is a really good pup. He has his issues like any 9 month old but a great dog.

Tasks your time and one will find you when you least expect it.
Prayers to you. I know the hurt.

Dec 10, 2014, 11:09 PM

I sure hate to hear that..it's like losing a family member. ..I can't even stand the thought of losing mine. Hopefully it's a ways off

Dec 10, 2014, 11:29 PM

Putting them down is the biggest act of love and most unselfish thing you can do for them. I put a 16 year old Lab down two years ago and held her as she licked her paws while the shot was being administered. Wanted so bad to grab her up and take her the heck out of there but knew it would only have prolonged more pain and suffering. I know she was grateful and passed with dignity. Still have her daughter and several months later brought home a $100 rat terrier; not the same dog, but love her just as much. My heart goes out to you and hope you are comforted by knowing you did a noble thing.

Dec 10, 2014, 11:30 PM

Give it a little time. and before you know it, you'll come across a sweet animal that needs a home.

Losing your pet dog is tough

Dec 11, 2014, 6:08 AM

I know the feeling. Peace and comfort to you. You did the loving thing for him.

Dec 11, 2014, 6:26 AM

Had to do the same to our 15 year old Bassett over the summer. I don't think I've cried that hard in a long, long time.... We lasted about 3 months before I needed one back in the house so we fostered another Bassett and recently adopted a Beagle/Bassett mix.

Prayers for you and your family.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2014, 6:35 AM

Don't wait to get another one! I mourned about 5 years after my lab died. Got remarried thinking that was what I was missing. Finally realized I needed the love of a dog in my life again. Married a wonderful woman and now have a great dog to go with that. Mourn as long as you need to, but trust me, as soon as you get another dog, the sooner the healing will begin. I will never be without a dog in my life again.

Dec 11, 2014, 6:41 AM

Go for it man! We are on our 4th Labrador Retriever in the past 35 years. Get your grieving done and then in the spring (or sooner) get that replacement puppy. A house is not a home without a dog. I am nearing 76 years old and have never been without a dog. During my years at Clemson there was a wagging tail always waiting for me when I traveled home. Our latest replacement was acquired just 18 months ago and he is a real challenge due to energy level. As I type this message he is at my feet waiting to go for his walk and it's not yet daylight! Get that dog and in just weeks he/she will capture your heart! You will never forget the old one, but you will love the new one like crazy. As you can see I am a dog man. Always a Tiger, but love my furry friends!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bless you for making the tough, but right call

Dec 11, 2014, 6:41 AM

We had to do this as well a little over a year ago and you post brought back memories. His name was Eben and he was a gentle giant, a Labrador. We rescued another and she is so, so appreciative and has become my stick tight buddy for sure.

Let the pain subside some, then allow yourself to enjoy helping another in need. You will always remember though. It is a good thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They always happy to see you come home! Always there

Dec 11, 2014, 6:51 AM

nm

Dec 11, 2014, 7:05 AM

Right there with you buddy. Saturday we had to put down our 15 year old Bassethound. Still some tears from my wife.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2014, 7:53 AM

so very sorry.....

It is a sad thing. Cry, laugh and tell stories.

Dec 11, 2014, 8:14 AM

The pain will ease, but it takes time.

Dec 11, 2014, 8:25 AM

So sorry for you. I had to put my 16 year old Westie to sleep 2 years ago and I still miss her. I feel your pain and hope you can find joy in memories of your beagle.

get another one soon

Dec 11, 2014, 8:55 AM

Dogs are the most loyal, unconditional beings on earth. I have been down that road multiple times in my life and getting another one is the best tonic. I will take a dog over the majority of humans I have known and I will never go without one. My fat 8 year old dachshund is sitting at my feet as I write this. Shes a Tiger fan too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2014, 8:59 AM

I had a Bernese Mountain Dog that we had to put down on Christmas Eve in 2012. The Family was devastated. That breed is not long lived but 5 years was just too young and I did not think we would ever get another. Well, we waited a year and decided it was time to contact a breeder. Our new Berner puppy is a joy!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

go to the pound a save a life...its the only way to cope.***

Dec 11, 2014, 1:38 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 3,827
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic