Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It really is crazy to think back when I was a young kid
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

It really is crazy to think back when I was a young kid

Jan 14, 2019, 10:30 AM

In the late 90s and through the 2000s I used to go crazy and run around my parents house because we were ranked 23rd or 24th or we just beat Maryland on a last second field goal. Looking back now it’s crazy at all the 10 win seasons and acc championship and now national championships. Truly amazing times!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It really is crazy to think back when I was a young kid

Jan 14, 2019, 10:42 AM

When they showed the videos during the speeches on Saturday and they showed highlights from the Auburn 2011 and 2012 wins and the LSU bowl win, my first thought was "this year's team would beat those 3 opponents by 30-40 points".

It's amazing how far we have come in that time!

Jan 14, 2019, 11:09 AM

I was born in the 70s so I remember the good years during the 80s. But even during the best years with Danny we would lose a game we really should never have lost that would keep us from playing for a championship.

The first game I took my wife to when we were dating was Tommy West's last game. Brad Scott was on the other sideline for Carolina. We had won 2 games all year and they had won none. All the speculation was we were going to get Tommy Bowden who was going to take our program to the next level. I think he did a lot for our program but he did my heart no favors. Big wins against teams like Miami followed up the next week by losses at Duke. Blowing a huge lead with just minutes to go against Ga Tech. Watching Matt Ryan beat us every year. Blown out by Wake only to beat #3 Fla State the next week. Beating the coots and considering it a fairly good year with potential for more the next season. I can go on and on.

Then we hired Dabo. While I admit I thought it was a curious hire at the time, I figured he could do no worse than Bowden despite his perceived lack of experience. All I can say is THANK YOU Terry Don Phillips for having the vision to hire Dabo. TDP saw in Dabo what we all see in him now.

GREAT times to be a Tiger and I am loving every minute of it. Winning at the highest level. Clemson players going into the NFL and doing well. No more coot car flags flying and they have nothing to say. Watching them get drilled in their crappy bowl game that no one attends.

Ha! Back when I was a young kid, before there was dirt, I

Jan 14, 2019, 11:09 AM

used to dream about just having a winning season. So did a lot of other people. That is why they even came out with the commemorative Pepsi bottles in 1974 when we won 7 games. (Undefeated "home" season, won all six games, but we played dead on the road at 1 and 4.) This was celebrated because it followed SIX STRAIGHT LOSING SEASONS! But, it was followed by the debacles of 1975 and 1976, where we only won 5 games COMBINED IN TWO SEASONS.

So, all you youngish whippersnappers, do not take this winning for granted, because it was most definitely not always so. And, get off my lawn! I need the room for another Natty flag. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ha! Back when I was a young kid, before there was dirt, I

Jan 14, 2019, 11:36 AM

I too remember those 1975-1976 teams. Ugh! Red parker, great high school coach, but not so at Clemson. Really poor teams. I went to three games in '75 and the Tigers lost all three- Tulane, N.C. Snake and FSPU (pre-Bowden). The first (Tulane) Clemson had the ball down at the goal line at the end of the game but couldn't punch it in. The last two were blowouts. And then the Tigers got blown out in Columbia. Was also the year Clemson got destroyed at Alabama. My, how the times have changed.

Best thing about Red Parker was Red Parker's Scoreboard

Jan 14, 2019, 11:37 AM

ice cream stand downtown Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 11:44 AM

My freshman year 1970 Auburn came in w Pat Sullivan who later won the Heisman. They beat us 44-0 at homecoming. We won 56 games that decade. Compare with 55 in 4 years for these seniors. Now granted there are more games now but not that many more

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic