Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Guys -- it is very simple
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Guys -- it is very simple

Nov 26, 2012, 6:53 PM

Dabo is excellent coach and so all of his staff.

Bottom line: We are recruiting against the SEC. We are missing maybe two top notch level players especially at the defense side of the ball and we will be a heck of a team that WILL be competing for the NC. Just imagine if Clowney selected us over SC.

If you are a top notch player, give me one reason why do you want to come into the ACC especially if you can go next door to an SEC school? The west coast is in better shape to compete against the SEC simply because of distance and family preference for their kids to stay near. Top/rare talent in the south east most likely will go to the SEC. Why would the number #2 recruit consider AU after this year? Why did RN de-commit? Why did Clowney chose SC over Clemson where he wanted to stay in state? Columbia as the town/university sucks and we all know it and he still choses that over better education/environment!!!!!

You can say that SC has a top notch coach as to the reason why SC is beaten us in attracting top talent out of the state. However, what does Ole Miss have or AU? Can you imagine what will happen to our recruits if we had a losing season and the writing on the wall for Dabo?

If we are in the SEC, we will be competing for the national championship this year for sure.

I've played it in my head 100 times, and I don't see other reasons as to why a top/rare talent will chose the ACC over the SEC. I would not personally let my kid (if he was a top/rare talent) to play in Clemson even though I graduated from Clemson. The circumstances has changed and even if we jump to another conference, I don't think our dilemma will be solved. We are still recruiting against and elite conference and until this perception is changed, we are screwed. We need the SEC to open the doors for us and that is not going to happen. We know the ACC is not going anywhere and so let us try another conference and maybe we can get lucky somehow.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

if my kid were a top talent who could play anywhere

Nov 26, 2012, 7:01 PM

for his five official visits I'd try to get him to do Clemson as one, but the other 4 would not be any ACC schools. It would probably be Bama, UF, Texas, and honestly ND (assuming they keep winning).

Sorry that's just how it is. I hate all those other schools but if my sons future really had chance to be on the gridiron this would be in his best interests. Those are all rich programs with chance to compete at top level.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if my kid were a top talent who could play anywhere

Nov 26, 2012, 7:08 PM

He would take only play for one school unless he wanted to pay everything that Clemson did not take care of. I just hope he would not have to experience losing four in a row to Clemson's arch rival.

Yeah cause Texas has been so great***

Nov 26, 2012, 11:10 PM [ in reply to if my kid were a top talent who could play anywhere ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only the extreme diehards see Columbia the way you

Nov 26, 2012, 7:22 PM

apparently do. Nonetheless, some recruits like the idea of a bigger city with a bigger student body. I grew up near Clemson and graduated there but have lived in Columbia 30 years or so. It isn't perfect but it certainly isn't a disadvantage for USC. Depending on the player and where they're from, it can be an advantage. The current gap is all about the SEC, period.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bottom line: SEC...Money...ESPN...TV Time...Money....NC

Nov 26, 2012, 7:33 PM

But the bottom line doesn't have anything to do with Clemson not being acceptable to a young man since he can get to the NFL from Tigertown since it's been proven time after time.

Clemson is still about quality education, small rural campus, making life-long friends, football prowess & past history, having coaches with class, being in a fine conference that does believe in higher academic standards than many, etc.

GoTiGERs...keep plugging & git better!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have lived in Columbia longer than that and as soon as I

Nov 26, 2012, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Only the extreme diehards see Columbia the way you ]

ret., I am leaving this place. Die hare. You bet.

it's official...you have lost your mind..***

Nov 26, 2012, 7:27 PM

i think hes right the way it has gotten all the really good recruits wanna be in the sec even if its ole miss or auburn***

Nov 26, 2012, 11:07 PM

Re: Guys -- it is very simple

Nov 26, 2012, 11:10 PM

that's an easy answer...too easy

...how about better identification and player development

maybe we are not recruiting the right guys

or what about mix...why do we have 8 million all star wide outs and are strugglin' in the 2ndary

it's easy to go after stars by a name...just pop up the computer

it sure makes the fans happy when they see that high recruiting ranking

little bit tougher to find contributors somewhat in the weeds - or find a good balance on both sides of the ball -with talent

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2012, 11:16 PM

Kansas st.'s average recruiting class the past 4 years is in the mid 50's...Can anyone say coaching and player development ?

^^^^^exactly^^^^^^^

Nov 27, 2012, 1:20 AM

Too many folks on here crying about not being in the SEC. Kansas State was close to playing for a NC and TAMU would be just as good this year had they not joined the SEC and possibly even undefeated. The SEC will lose its prestige when the playoffs go into effect and all conference champs will likely have a shot at winning it all.

i have heard a few kids say that, but the majority of the

Nov 27, 2012, 4:20 AM

kids know they will be on tv every game for clemson,and the rest of the acc,too. they still get seen by nfl scouts, still can be drafted #1. look at the nfl rosters, the acc is very well represented. it's more about the relationships with the coaches, the other players, facilities, education ( campus and nightlife, included), etc. if you are a good football (or any other sports) player, it will show no matter where you play. esecpn is trying to change that,though. they just haven't succeded.yet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greed and Cows

Nov 27, 2012, 5:00 AM

Your take on the situation is both accurate and valid. Perception and 18 year olds is strong.

The logic being ESPN (and others) promote that SEC is the best, the players begin to respond by moving to the SEC, and because of the talent change, they actually become the best.

Agreed. This makes sense. I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I'd love to add to the story.

Now, how does this apply to all other cycles in history and life? GM built the best until Toyota took the title. Made in Japan was a mark of cheap material and workmanship until Sony changed the market. Nintendo was the top game system until Playstation made them a distant competitor.

While I really do agree with your original statement in the very near term, it is worth additional debate when you consider the cycle of greed is stronger than even the masterful Slive. Will they really stop now? Can they even if they want to?

It seems more reasonable to continue with the logical argument but this time, lets assume that 18 year old decisions are based on this cycle or the next while 50-60 year old executives making millions want more and their decisions will and have always been about money. More is better until you get to the point you kill the golden goose (see NASCAR).

So after next year, the BCS will be replaced with the playoff. How long before they figure that super conferences include more schools. More schools, more fans. More fans, more money. Circle that logic about 3 times more and then do it again after it becomes a death spiral because we all know they don't stop until the merry go round is broken.

While Clemson and others will surely have down years between these circles of greed, do you really expect they intend to leave money on the ground within easy reach. I can name at least 10 schools that have started lossing money football FCS programs or have tried to enter the FBS arena at clear losses. So with that said, it's unrealistic to think that established programs with net positive cashflow will be left rotting on vines for long. Love it or hate it but greed has some clear rules played out with a long history. Clemson, along with plenty of others, are just waiting for for the next round of old, white guys to figure the best squeeze play.

This post is intended to be a little sarcasticly presented but the satire is so old and so true there is no way to ignore the reality. Swofford is merely holding the rope on this cow. Someone will be by soon to milk it and this crowd has been milking cows since the dawn of mankind.

While I'd prefer to be in the SEC, let's be realistic.

Nov 27, 2012, 5:53 AM

If we were in the SEC, chances are we would never win another conference championship again. There seems to always be a super team in the SEC among the traditional powers. If we are honest, we would admit that the SEC is one humongous mountain to climb. I want to be in the SEC because of its great football tradition, the football mentality of its fans, the great road trips, the prestige that comes with being a member of the SEC and the financial jackpot that would come with membership. And while I think it would be almost impossible ever to win a conference championship, I think getting an at-large bid to the coming playoffs could realistically happen. Having said that, I really don't believe it is in the cards for us ever to join for various reasons that I've mentioned before.

To remove the ACC anchor around our necks, wouldn't it be better to join, with other eastern teams, the Big 12? It would be a football conference, more money with other football-loving fans. But it would be nowhere near as difficult to win a conference championship. Isn't winning a conference championship very important? Or was that just a line of BS by some here last year, to make ourselves feel better over being handed our ### by SCar for the 3rd straight time?

Re: While I'd prefer to be in the SEC, let's be realistic.

Nov 27, 2012, 6:31 AM

After Dabo came out and said forget the Big 12, we are in the ACC for good, I thought it was all put to rest - until Maryland bolted for the Big 10. I think it all starts up again, and yes, I agree with you that the Big 12 is our best option.

Just read your post. As a Clemson grad.............

Nov 27, 2012, 6:40 AM

weren't you required to take English 101? It surely doesn't show.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While you make some interesting points, I believe most

Nov 27, 2012, 6:52 AM

recruits choose schools rather than conferences, which depends, of course, upon the talents of the recruiters. Steve Spurrier has been able to attract a number of players, simply because of his name and history of success. Usually, schools with sucessful programs, regardless of conference affiliation, will attract an amount of quality. Clemson has proven that repeatedly, and I accepted the fact a long time ago that in the recruiting game, you win some, you lose some. I will say this: It won't hurt my feelings one iota should we realign ourselves....and I'll leave it at that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2012, 7:41 AM

Totally agree with OP except for the first sentence. Our staff (esp. Dabo and Morris) don't know how to make on-the-fly or halftime adjustments (Sat. night?). Actually, BV does a much better job of adjustments almost every game than Dabo or Morris.....against our conference teams, it usually isn't necessary.

You had to add in a race comment

Nov 27, 2012, 9:18 AM

A racist coot..... What do ya know?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic