Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This ATL press conference is an absolute joke
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

This ATL press conference is an absolute joke

Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This ATL press conference is an absolute joke

Jun 17, 2020, 4:19 PM

Cops in Atlanta should strike. What a joke

No, man.

Jun 17, 2020, 5:39 PM

They should do their jobs serving and protecting the people that need them. If they feel that strongly they should resign without interfering with regular police work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shouldn't be any charges, and shouldn't have been fired

Jun 17, 2020, 4:24 PM

It's mob rule

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shouldn't be any charges, and shouldn't have been fired

Jun 17, 2020, 4:31 PM

What is debatable about "whether he needed to fire"...?***

Jun 17, 2020, 4:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s been discussed at length

Jun 17, 2020, 5:14 PM

I'm gonna try this again. My last response wouldn't post.

Jun 17, 2020, 6:10 PM

Do you think the response of two AA LEOs carries more weight than any other...? Since when does cops relinquishing their power become a racially exclusive thing...?

I listened to the press conference on the way home from working... My first thought was that DA didn't just throw the book at him, he wrote a new book just for him... It all seemed excessive. That said, he probably deserves a Man II charge. He shot him in the back while he was running away.

That cop had total disregard for any potential bystanders and ended up shooting someone else's car. Likewise, they witnessed the trauma.

It wasn't necessary. Here's a hypothetical I'd like you to answer.

If some cop starts shooting up your car while in a pursuit of others and you're armed, do you have the right to defend yourself and return fire...?

He shot him in the back while running away...

Jun 17, 2020, 6:19 PM

while shooting a weapon at the police officer.

While shooting a limited ranged weapon and intoxicated

Jun 17, 2020, 6:58 PM

Let this one play out in court.

The officers actions after the shooting were pretty questionable.

This case probably depresses me more than any other. Partly due to black protestors being blamed for the actions of an unknown white woman after the fact.

Partly because the training is so broken that this may end up being justified in court. And partly because of the firm camps everyone retreats to out of instinct when something like this happens.

If it were a 'deadly weapon', he wouldn't have been running.

Jun 17, 2020, 7:26 PM [ in reply to He shot him in the back while running away... ]

He was being tased all the way across the parking lot.

Re: I'm gonna try this again. My last response wouldn't post.

Jun 17, 2020, 6:46 PM [ in reply to I'm gonna try this again. My last response wouldn't post. ]

I thought he was a baseball legend...J/K. Anyway, you never

Jun 17, 2020, 7:24 PM

answered the hypothetical.

Re: I thought he was a baseball legend...J/K. Anyway, you never

Jun 17, 2020, 7:35 PM

Could have been... but, of course, it would have just been

Jun 17, 2020, 7:43 PM

an "accident" and as per most in the past, not prosecuted.

Several of his charges pertain to the vehicle he shot.

Re: Could have been... but, of course, it would have just been

Jun 17, 2020, 7:52 PM

Guy had a weapon pointed at him

Jun 17, 2020, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Shouldn't be any charges, and shouldn't have been fired ]

Did he absolutely have to fire? Maybe not. Does it seem reasonable that he did? Pretty obviously, yes. The only thing that would change my mind about that is if he really did know, in the moment, that the taser was completely inoperable. It's just hard for me to wrap my mind around somebody being charged with a crime, especially a police officer, when they were making a lawful arrest and had the guy steal their weapon and try to use it on them while running away.

I've been told by former police that they were authorized to use deadly force if somebody took their taser away from them. Maybe Atlanta PD has different rules.

I'm not watching, but let me see if I have this straight...

Jun 17, 2020, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Shouldn't be any charges, and shouldn't have been fired ]

Is the DA saying that, if a person fights a cop, grabs his taser, and turns and points it at the officer, the officer is NOT permitted to open fire?

It is the expectation of the Atlanta Police Department that a cop is expected to allow himself to be incapacitated in defenseless in the presence of a person who has already fought him?

If that's the case, they need to incorporate that into policy and training, and let the chips fall where they may in terms of hiring and retention.

I'm always amazed at how many people think this is the wild west. Cops aren't challenging these guys to a duel and "may the best man win."

null

DA also said that Brooks was "jovial" and "cooperative"

Jun 17, 2020, 5:15 PM

Trying to portray him as a perfect victim, rather than a guy who seemed determined not to go back to jail

Cam! Where ya been? Did you hear? The world exploded.***

Jun 18, 2020, 9:38 AM

null

Georgia law protects the cop in this case.***

Jun 17, 2020, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Shouldn't be any charges, and shouldn't have been fired ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's hope***

Jun 17, 2020, 5:55 PM

I know this is horrible for the cop but...

Jun 17, 2020, 5:37 PM

it's a stay of repercussion, imo. The murder charges along with the other charges is a political decision to settle the BLM radicals down until the national situation they are creating is exhausted. It's a shame that politics is the most powerful force in our country right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EXTREME Politics... Moderation has exited the stage...***

Jun 17, 2020, 6:13 PM

Jun 17, 2020, 6:58 PM

shooting the guy in the back was unnecessary, but legal. It all goes back to their training and bad law enforcement policies. Some of you seemed thrilled to have an oppressive police force, What we have is more indicative of a 3rd world country than a developed nation. And it is a really sad statistic that your likelihood of getting killed increases dramatically in the presence of law enforcement in this country, it should be the other way around.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’d be thrilled to have no police at all

Jun 17, 2020, 7:06 PM

I don't think they can make the case for it being legal, but

Jun 17, 2020, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Re: This ATL press conference is an absolute joke ]

I think they've dramatically overcharged with a Murder I (and perhaps intentionally)...

All those lesser charges are an avenue for a jury to find guilt but to a lesser degree/sentence...

Obviously, the final result ends up in a judge's hands.

Advancing forward with a taser creates a different threat ..

Jun 17, 2020, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Re: This ATL press conference is an absolute joke ]

then running away with a taser. Not sure shooting in the back is justified when guy was running away unless previous history of violent crimes. A second Cop was also present that could have used deadly force if situation deteriorated. I have no idea what are the right charges for the Cop who shot.

Now the victim was a dumb ### who created a really bad situation resisting arrest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a serious question: I don't have an answer yet.

Jun 17, 2020, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: This ATL press conference is an absolute joke ]

Lets say the guy blew nearly a two (would be my guess). They start to arrest him, which they have to do to for several reasons, including preventing him from driving again. He says 'eff you' and starts to get back into his car. The officers try to physically detain him, but he manages to punch one of them in the nose, nearly knocking him out. At this point the cops say, "Hey, dude, we really don't want you driving again, and if you do we're going to file more charges against you. The guy drives off. Crosses the center line and a mother and daughter are killed.

Clearly they can't do that, right? Remember when the satan du jour was the drunk driver? Scum of the earth, they were. No treatment of them could be too harsh. A policeman who would let a drunk driver go was also the scum of the earth.

That's the situation the officers in that video are in. They have been taught that drunk drivers account for more deaths annually than almost anything else, and they have to be found, and they have to be brought in. No exceptions. Let one go, your job is on the line.

You are in that situation. When a drunk driver has assaulted you, has stolen your 'deadly weapon', is firing it at you and is running away, what do you do? Again, he is not a 'suspect'. He is a drunk driver, and to let a drunk driver go is a thing you can not do. Can not do. So what do you do?

Seriously, I don't have an answer. Shooting the guy seems over the top. But what about the anger we had just a couple of years ago and innocent deaths of little boys and girls on the highway? How do those two reconcile?

And given that history of drunk driving deaths, and the category we put drunk drivers into, are we going to allow a prosecutor to call it "sleeping peacefully in his car"?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is a serious question: I don't have an answer yet.

Jun 17, 2020, 10:28 PM

That was the question I was getting at. Just a short time

Jun 18, 2020, 12:44 AM

ago the most righteous thing a cop could do is get a drunk driver into confinement. Granted. But then what do you do when the guy won't go, and becomes as violent as possible in refusing to be confined? Let him go? And then what? Do we grant the police department immunity from any blow-back if the guy gets into a car and kills somebody?

It seems to me that if this guy was white and middle aged we would say he got what he deserved (I am not saying he deserved that, I'm just pointing out our reaction). What we do know is that it does happen every day, with no reaction. Besides, my question is not what a guy deserves, but what we expect an officer to do. Let a drunk guy go?

The reason that having to ask this question frustrates me is not that its about black / white. Its because we do, in fact, have a black / white issue that has to be dealt with, and the redefining of this situation, the complete fabrication that was the press conference, is keeping us from dealing with it, not helping.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the DA will be in jail before the cop***

Jun 17, 2020, 8:28 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Facts

Jun 17, 2020, 8:56 PM

Jun 17, 2020, 9:04 PM

a bunch have walked off the job, ATL asking for help and nobody is coming, wont be any police inside 285

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic