Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gun Post
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 78
| visibility 1

Gun Post

Jun 2, 2020, 10:27 AM

Can I get some honest recommendations about guns for home protection? I am looking at pump-action shotguns due to apparent ease of use. I really know nothing about shotguns or guns for that matter, but I am finding it more difficult to stand by idly awaiting for something bad to happen without any solutions, especially in this extremely volatile time in history.

Thanks in advance

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Springfield Saint short barrel

Jun 2, 2020, 10:28 AM

Or if you want to be UDP you could go with a Maverick 88 short barrel shotgun.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mossberg 500 from wally world, less than or right at $200.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:59 AM

Maverick 88 is a cheaper version of the same gun.

That's probably the best way to go.

Fill it full of Buckshot and hope you never need to use it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Mossbergs have stepped up their quality in the past

Jun 2, 2020, 11:01 AM

few years.

They are comparable to Brownings now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

As if my Mossberg I received for Christmas at 10 years

Jun 2, 2020, 11:20 AM

old doesn't still function flawlessly.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THIS.

Jun 3, 2020, 9:55 AM

Mossberg comes with the 'Mossberg Rattle'. That is perceived by many to be a sign of inferior quality, when in fact, a Mossberg will last as long or longer than any brand name you want to toss out there. Mossberg has always been the paragon of quality firearms at affordable prices. The only thing they've ever turned out that wasn't on par with the best available is handguns.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FIFY

Jun 2, 2020, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Mossbergs have stepped up their quality in the past ]

comparable to remingtons now.

:-D

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Comparable to Browning?

Jun 3, 2020, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Mossbergs have stepped up their quality in the past ]

lulz

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously...Mossberg Maverick is the correct answer.

Jun 2, 2020, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Springfield Saint short barrel ]

6 shell capacity for around $200, it's reliable, easy to use, and if you're not going to hunt and just want solid home defense...that's your marker. For someone with little firearm experience, it's the perfect solution at the right price point. If you're not going to use it for hunting or sporting clays (and you still could use it for those activities), there's no reason to spend on anything else. When you're half asleep and in a low light/high stress situation, you want a shotgun pattern over a single handgun bullet every single time.

Home defense isn't about searching for someone in the house and trying to clear rooms. That's for professionals and how heroes get killed in their own homes. It's about drawing a line and defending your LIFE, not property...everything material is replaceable. A shotgun is perfect for that situation. If you're looking to fend off a crowd of rioters, that's a different animal altogether. You may get one or two, but a crowd will swallow you up. If you're a lone defender in that instance, then GTFO. Run.

I knew my mentor would come through***

Jun 2, 2020, 11:06 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I WAS THE FIRST TO SUGGEST IT OMG STOP OPPRESSING ME***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh shutup and eat your golden Coral***

Jun 2, 2020, 11:09 AM

I am going to get legitimately angry if I continue to be

Jun 2, 2020, 11:19 AM

accused of being a Golden Coral patron. Let's try to display a little bit of decency.

I see you, I hear you, I respect you

Jun 2, 2020, 11:29 AM [ in reply to I WAS THE FIRST TO SUGGEST IT OMG STOP OPPRESSING ME*** ]

Thank you for your advice.

Agreed, or an 870.

Jun 2, 2020, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Seriously...Mossberg Maverick is the correct answer. ]

Just shoot what you get. A short barrel is a whole lot different than a regular 26" (or whatever) barrel.

Re: Gun Post

Jun 2, 2020, 10:33 AM

I have a Winchester 870 super mag that I bought for bird hunting. https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-express-super-magnum

It stays in my closet and also serves as a home defense gun. It is probably overkill for that purpose (and longer than you might want just for home defense) but its a versatile gun and I figure that the sound of the pump action might scare off a burglar without having to shoot.

That's close to what I have. A rem 877 super mag

Jun 2, 2020, 11:05 AM

I hate it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you want a blunderbuss but remember, they fire

Jun 2, 2020, 10:37 AM

very inaccurately and indiscriminately.

The home protection folks always argue for "knockdown" power. That's why some like the old Colt military sidearm.

APM don't mess with guns.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get a short barrel 12-ga with single ought buckshot.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:38 AM

Some come with a pistol grip even, but they're a ##### to shoot. Hold on TIGHT.

But best home protection gun there is. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIz_eYWFuk4

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go to the gun store and get the cheapest shotgun they have

Jun 2, 2020, 10:40 AM

not a pump. Automatic. In the heat of the moment you want to just generally aim and pull the trigger without worrying about reracking.

Then take a hand saw and cut off all but 1-2 feet of barrel.

Get some buckshot.

Done.

Keep the barrel 18" or 18.5" whatever it is...

Jun 2, 2020, 11:01 AM

otherwise you could be in for some decent fines and the threat of some serious jail time.

Would you ever get caught? Depends. Probably not unless you had to use it, then you'd be toast. Since that's the reason you're buying it.... just buy one with an 18.5" barrel like I did and call it good.

I disagree about the automatic...

Pump is way cheaper, and as corny as it sounds, the sound of racking that gun probably would eliminate the need to use it.... and at the end of the day, not needing to use the gun is 10000x better than using the gun.

That's just my opinion, because I'm not some soulless POS that relishes the opportunity to kill someone.

Re: Keep the barrel 18" or 18.5" whatever it is...

Jun 2, 2020, 11:08 AM

'cept when you're slaying SarahAdidas's puss, amirite?

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

urrite***

Jun 2, 2020, 2:20 PM

The sound is why I got the pump. I figure it is pretty

Jun 2, 2020, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Keep the barrel 18" or 18.5" whatever it is... ]

universal. I also figure if pumping it doesn't solve the problem I'd better be ready to use it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jesus Christ it's like I'm teaching Jaxson about guns

Jun 2, 2020, 1:18 PM

you still have to rack an auto if a shell isn't in the chamber.

What you don't want is a misfire which happens all the fuggin time with pumps if your didn't push it back up far enough.

In almost 40 years of shooting guns, I've never had this

Jun 3, 2020, 3:45 PM

happen. I can't remember one time. Ever.

I know a guy who had a shotty shorter than whatever the

Jun 2, 2020, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Keep the barrel 18" or 18.5" whatever it is... ]

legal limit was. Had a guy break into his home and threaten him with a knife. He kilt him with the sawnoff but still did jailtime for having it.

But he is alive.

I've never subscribed to the sound thing. I get it, but

Jun 3, 2020, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Keep the barrel 18" or 18.5" whatever it is... ]

means you're shorting yourself 1 round. eff that.

That said, I want a pump anyway. Less to worry about. I've just had to much trouble with autos over the years to trust one in that situation. Probably just my fault though. I treat them like crap.

Message was edited by: CUFOR98®

could ya give me some info on an automatic shotgun

Jun 2, 2020, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Go to the gun store and get the cheapest shotgun they have ]

might want to check one out

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’d get a sawed off shotgun, hand on the pump

Jun 3, 2020, 8:31 AM [ in reply to Go to the gun store and get the cheapest shotgun they have ]

Sippin on a fawdy, puffin on a blunt!

La la la la, la la la laaaaaaaaaa

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gun Post

Jun 2, 2020, 10:47 AM

Benelli Nova, affordable, accurate and quality all in one. This is the only answer.

https://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/nova-pump-action-shotguns

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Serious post is serious

Jun 2, 2020, 10:51 AM

get trained in how to use whatever you get. I know nothing about guns but know that it would be useless if I grabbed one for home defense and didn't know how to use it.

Greenr don't f*ck with guns. Greenr isn't necessarily anti-gun, but I don't see the need for it personally.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have a small army at your disposal

Jun 2, 2020, 10:52 AM

and you failed to equip them?

RHTig will be disappointed

This is the gameplan

Jun 2, 2020, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Serious post is serious ]

Red and I were shopping around for a concealed carry class prior to her getting pregnant. Once pregnant, she didnt want to handle guns during this time. Now that baby is about to come out, we are back on the market for looking around.. but COVID is presenting a few issues.

I considered it at one time, but I just don't feel the need

Jun 2, 2020, 10:57 AM

to be strapped at all times. I'm 38 and have never needed a pistol on me. And if someone approached me and wanted to rob me, they can have my stuff. Stuff is replaceable, lives are not.

I get that there are scenarios out there where a weapon might be necessary, but the odds of actually needing one are SUPER low.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you completely on this

Jun 2, 2020, 11:05 AM

If concealed carry, it would be in the truck at all times. I had a guy follow me to a store because of a road rage incident once and I felt extremely unsafe in that situation.

I have a machete under my bed (used for field visits with work) and Red has a bat, in these uncertain times, with riots happening down the road and civil unrest growing (with no sign of things getting better), id rather be safe in the very slim chance of something happening than feeling helpless and leaving the choice up to a bad person in a bad situation to choose whether or not my life is valuable enough to them.

You'll want a fair amount of range time before doing the

Jun 2, 2020, 11:04 AM [ in reply to This is the gameplan ]

class. It will surprise you how inaccurate you are at first, takes a little bit to get the feel of everything. I don't think most CWP classes have practice time, but could be wrong. Anyway, I know it always takes me a few trips minimum to feel competent shooting anything new.

Look at ballistics of different rounds too, if it's not a shotgun make sure you use self defense ammo. You don't want it going through 5 walls and into your neighbors house.

Agreed

Jun 2, 2020, 11:08 AM

The place we were looking at offers a pairing of classes for range time and the CWP class.

Go out to Deep River, they're all incredibly nice and

Jun 2, 2020, 11:13 AM

helpful out there. They also have a fun sporting clays course if you want to practice with your new shotgun.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

This ^^

Jun 2, 2020, 11:27 AM [ in reply to You'll want a fair amount of range time before doing the ]

know what's behind your target. A baby in a room separated by 2 sheets of drywall? You don't want to be spraying bullets out of an AR or pistol or high brass shells with buckshot. Some #6-#8's will do at close range and your recoil will be easier to handle if you're not used to it. It'll stop a threat.
I said stop a threat, and not necessarily open 'em up and kill them. There's a difference. Close range #8's will do some serious damage at worst a have them in an ER getting picked for a few hours at best. Buck shot might leave them on your floor for the coroner. Both have their place. Practice...know your gun...know what it'll do. Know how to clear it in a jam, etc. I don't mean shooting paper at the range. Go out in the woods and shoot "stuff". If you've never been around them, you need an appreciation and respect for the damage they'll cause. The difference between 00 buck and #8's, etc.

If you REALLY want to have fun, look up some action pistol and 3-gun matches. Durham gun club was about the best place in your area back when I was doing all that. Very well regarded range.

Excellent advice.

Jun 2, 2020, 12:19 PM

I always recommend dialing the shot back from 00 buck indoors. I have a Mossberg 590, it was at one time the Marine Corps assault shotgun. 10+1 capacity, all #6 shot. Excellent home defense weapon but probably far more than a novice need spend on. I have plaster lath walls in this 100 year old house, so even buck won't penetrate in most cases, but no need for overkill. And like you said...even birdshot is going to do the trick. It WILL kill a human at a short distance.

The easiest way to do it, is lying on your back with your

Jun 2, 2020, 10:53 AM

big toe on the trigger.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

JFC, I shouldn't laugh so hard at that***

Jun 2, 2020, 10:54 AM

Re: The easiest way to do it, is lying on your back with your

Jun 2, 2020, 3:13 PM [ in reply to The easiest way to do it, is lying on your back with your ]

Missed opportunity here for me.

I literally typed "put it in your mouth and pull the trigger with your toe" before realizing I didn't want that to be the first response in this thread.

Well done, mind-reader.

I think I'm going to add one of these Henrys to my

Jun 2, 2020, 10:55 AM

collection - https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/side-gate-lever-action-410/

I've got a Henry .22, it's fun and accurate.

Relive the Wild West - throw on a bandana in these times of Covid, grab your lever action rifle/shotgun, and blast some looters...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or just get a Saiga

Jun 2, 2020, 10:59 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBmdMUM80cE

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how 'bout a mares leg?

Jun 2, 2020, 11:05 AM [ in reply to I think I'm going to add one of these Henrys to my ]

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/mares-leg/

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/product.php?id=97

Been on my list for a while. Loved seeing it on

Jun 2, 2020, 12:48 PM

Wanted Dead or Alive, my favorite old western.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pistol-grip pump action 12 guage

Jun 2, 2020, 11:00 AM

is what I have.

Buying a 9mm now, too

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're getting a glock aren't you.***

Jun 2, 2020, 11:02 AM

Ruger

son wants that instead of a Glock

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was raised right***

Jun 2, 2020, 11:14 AM

Dew wreck or mend

Jun 2, 2020, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Ruger ]

Got a Ruger 9MM. One thing I've never liked about a glock is the had trigger. I'm like ##### if I'm ready to shoot I'm ready to shoot.

wut?

Jun 3, 2020, 10:19 AM

just wondering what you meant about the glock trigger

The Glock 19 may be one of the best guns ever produced.

Jun 3, 2020, 12:55 PM [ in reply to You're getting a glock aren't you.*** ]

I don't own one, but you can't argue with its simplicity and durability.

There's a reason why so many people have them.

Mossberg 500 Persuader

Jun 2, 2020, 11:19 AM

Short barrel 12 gauge. Easy to use and hold 6 rounds.

Filled mine with buckshot last night because of riots and protest nearby.

The shorter barrel is designed for home defense.

Re: Mossberg 500 Persuader

Jun 2, 2020, 11:29 AM

Rulez: If you aren't used to shot guns, I wouldn't wreck-o-mend a pistol grip. They're great, but a ##### to shoot if you're not used to them. That said, I want one. :-D

I had a Remington 870 12 ga from 1959. Twas me dad's.

Jun 2, 2020, 11:34 AM

Sold it a few years back because a friends kid was getting into skeet & trap. I hadn't shot it in 20 years at the time. Didn't even have any shells.

Dang good gun, now being used...

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Seems like yesterday you were asking for OUR advice

Jun 2, 2020, 11:35 AM

for a dog. My how times have changed. Y'all done growed up! Somebody cuttin' onions up in here. **sniff**

To be fair

Jun 2, 2020, 11:39 AM

It was advice about a truck. I didn't give a schitt about yall opinions about dogs. She turned out to be an angel and the worst shes ever done is chew a pair of Costas.

her's a good girl***

Jun 2, 2020, 11:41 AM

While everybody saying Mossberg is correct,

Jun 2, 2020, 12:02 PM

y'all know that ain't how 30 Rack rolls.

This is what should have been suggested.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/RIZZINI-AURUM-LIGHT-OVER-UNDER-SHOTGUNS/2530040.uts?slotId=2

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since this is something I am not familiar with

Jun 2, 2020, 12:19 PM

and do not plan to hopefully use, ever, I am more so looking at quantity over quality here.

Well, that is why I didn't pick the

Jun 2, 2020, 12:30 PM

most expensive one for you.

I'm partial to the Remington 870 for newbies

Jun 2, 2020, 12:18 PM

b/c Remington haha. but seriously, mossbergs are fine too.

get you a high capacity tube, shorter barrel, #4 or lower shells.

glad you're going shotgun...definitely the way to go and the first few i'd grab when needed. WHEN (not if) you miss you don't have to worry about a stray going 2 houses down and wreaking havoc on an innocent person. i'd probably get two so Red could re-load while you're shooting

whatever you do, put some rounds through it and get used to clearing jams, shouldering it, reloading, etc. hate to have a glorified broom handle to throw at someone

Can't go wrong w/ a Remington 870***

Jun 2, 2020, 1:16 PM

I have a 12 ga 28" 870 that I was given when I was 16.

Jun 3, 2020, 12:47 PM [ in reply to I'm partial to the Remington 870 for newbies ]

I don't even know if you can still buy them with a wooden stock, but at least for me, its hard to miss with that gun. I won a Turkey at last year's Gold bug island turkey shoot, and could barely see the target wobbling around from all the Bud Light that got in the way.

In contrast, I also have a beautiful AYA 12 ga double barrel Matador that my dad bought mail order in the early 60's, that I can't hit anything with. The stock is a beautiful cherry wood though.

I still can't decide if my new gun will be Beretta and Benelli; Maybe I'll go down to PSA today to see what they have.

Get a Semi-Automatic Shotgun instead of a pump

Jun 2, 2020, 1:54 PM

This is what I have by my bed Stoeger

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

big fan of Stoeger's

Jun 2, 2020, 3:08 PM

get the benelli engineering and functionality at a way better price.

my duck gun for the past couple of seasons has been the m3500 and I haven't had an issue yet. even after using it as a paddle to get through the swamps.

They don't make the unmistakable sound of

Jun 3, 2020, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Get a Semi-Automatic Shotgun instead of a pump ]

putting a shell in the chamber though. Its like a rattlesnake; once you hear it you ALWAYS know what it is.

I imagine if I was in someones house and heard that sound, I'd defecate myself immediately.

I have the Rem 870 .20 and a Yildiz .410 side by side

Jun 2, 2020, 2:24 PM

both very fun to shoot. The .410 is used for sporting clays. I'd hate to p1ss off an intruder with it and have to kill them with the other. I don't like wasting ammo.

worthy of mention, my home protection hand cannon

Jun 3, 2020, 8:25 AM

I doubt I will ever need it because I live in the boonies, but just in case, this sleeps under my mattress every night......Taurus Judge.

A shotgun may prove difficult to maneuver inside a house, hallways etc. This is a shotgun without the long barrel. Shoots .410 shells and .45 colt rounds, so free to choose there. Absolute variety of ammo to choose from ranging from pellets to slugs.

https://sofrep.com/news/rethink-shotgun-taurus-judge/

Those are pretty slick and would be great as a snake gun in

Jun 3, 2020, 8:44 AM

the woods.

I've always thought they were overpriced and haven't bought one.

I still consider Taurus to be cheap, even though I'm sure their revolvers are just fine.

Agree... It would be a solid choice, but not for CC. For a night stand gun, it'd probably be way up on my list.

thing is heavy as a brick, not carry-friendly

Jun 3, 2020, 8:56 AM

unless in a backpack. Good campsite gun I would think. But I got it as my nightstand gun as you say. Feel like you are Dirty Harry when it's in your hand.

I got the original standard 3" barrel back when they first came out. Now they have lighter polymer versions supposedly for carry, a 6" barrel, a Magnum version for longer shells, and even the bigger "Raging Judge". Lots of versions to pick from.

some of the various ammo it'll eat:

And overkill as a snake gun.

Jun 3, 2020, 9:33 AM

Best snake gun ever made is the NAA Black Widow, as you well know. One well placed .22 mag shotshell is enough to dispatch any copperhead.

correctamundo....I think The Judge has mostly been marketed

Jun 3, 2020, 9:43 AM

as home and vehicle (carjack) defense, not so much a daily carry gun or animal whacker. But I could certainly see its handiness vs a coyote or wild hog out in the woods camping.

mine is more of a "gimmick" it seems

Jun 3, 2020, 10:17 AM

If the target isn't close, power and pattern sucks. Good tractor/truck gun. Fun to shoot and throw clays in the air to shoot and similar shenanigans. My dad thinks his is a tank killer. lol

def a "bark" over "bite" gun. Nobody wants to have one

Jun 3, 2020, 10:31 AM

pointing at their eyeballs. Never shot it indoors, but can imagine the db level it hits. I doubt an intruder would stick around long after hearing one round go off.

Absolute best feature: this feeling

Re: def a "bark" over "bite" gun. Nobody wants to have one

Jun 3, 2020, 10:34 AM

It's DEFINITELY got the 'Murica factor.

Replies: 78
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic