Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Guaranteed scholarships passed (link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Guaranteed scholarships passed (link)

Jan 17, 2015, 7:19 PM

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2015-01-17/power-5-ncaa-schools-vote-new-scholarship-concussion-proposals-autonomy

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

This is GREAT News for Clemson -

Jan 17, 2015, 7:24 PM

hope it takes effect immediately..

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yoou're gonna' be amazed at how many third stringers at

Jan 17, 2015, 7:35 PM

USuC will now suddenly be dismissed for "conduct detrimental to the team."

Also, expect some professors to suddenly tighten up the grading for certain players, causing academic casualties.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Yoou're gonna' be amazed at how many third stringers at

Jan 17, 2015, 7:56 PM

Who have the coots culled scholarships from?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you're kidding....

Jan 17, 2015, 8:02 PM

right? you gotta be kidding...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Known Coot

Jan 17, 2015, 8:11 PM

Hit the ignore button.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jan 17, 2015, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Yoou're gonna' be amazed at how many third stringers at ]

Was it Scarnachia or Nosovitch that got his scholly pulled but stayed with the team as a walk on?

Jan 17, 2015, 10:41 PM

Neither

Lol dont play dumb***

Jan 17, 2015, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Yoou're gonna' be amazed at how many third stringers at ]

Re: Lol dont play dumb***

Jan 17, 2015, 11:32 PM

Well then give me the name of a player the OBS signed that had his scholarship not renewed.

Jan 17, 2015, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Lol dont play dumb*** ]

He isn't playing ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2015, 11:35 PM

And you guys can't come up with a name.

Here...now hush.

Jan 18, 2015, 2:09 AM

"I grew up a Notre Dame and Lou Holtz fan," Mullins said. "So when Lou Holtz calls you up to go to Carolina, you go."

As a redshirting freshman in 2004, he found a spot as a scout-team quarterback. But a few months later, Holtz was replaced by Steve Spurrier.

Mullins was moved to wide receiver, and during his first spring under Spurrier was listed on the depth chart. That summer, however, Mullins received a call from Spurrier, who said his scholarship had been rescinded.

According to media reports at the time, Spurrier didn't believe some of Holtz' players were SEC caliber. The news came as a shock to Mullins.

"I understand we were signed to play Lou Holtz' offense, and we didn't necessarily fit Spurrier's offense," said Mullins, who paid his own way for a semester before transferring to Division I-AA Presbyterian College in South Carolina. "Still, you don't think of that when you sign a scholarship -- that you're signing a one-year deal. You think they're committed to you. It's not fair. Yet it happens all the time. I never got in any trouble. I didn't do anything to get run off."

Link:
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/10/college_athletes_rights_some_a.html

Re: Here...now hush.

Jan 18, 2015, 7:17 AM

I asked for names of players OBS signed, and yes there is a difference.

No there isn't...if he was willing to this when he was hired

Jan 18, 2015, 12:21 PM

he was willing to do it through out his tenure...

You can try and cut this to mold your argument but fact are facts...

The hiring of Slurrier....

Jan 18, 2015, 2:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Lol dont play dumb*** ]

http://www.momentummedia.com/articles/cm/cm1310/bbscholarships.htm

He immediately yanked schollies from kids who wanted to play for your pathetic university.

Re: The hiring of Slurrier....

Jan 18, 2015, 7:21 AM

My pathetic university has not renewed 51 scholarships from athletes since 2012, Clemson has not renewed 44. Not much difference.

Jan 18, 2015, 7:22 AM

Well,, at least one coot is honest enough to admit his university is pathetic. Good on ya.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2015, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Re: The hiring of Slurrier.... ]

Above you asked for names of players the sack signed and didn't renew, now you admit coot u has run off 51.

Bipolar? ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2015, 8:20 AM

Im thinking that number is low.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2015, 8:23 AM

Yep. I know looking at Rivals isn't an exact science but looks to me that they've sure signed a LOT more than 85 over the last years.

I think they signed about 131 over one 5 year stretch.***

Jan 18, 2015, 8:27 AM

More information (link)

Jan 17, 2015, 7:42 PM

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268750/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=HgeeCfAo

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

a passive comment on the 4 yr guarantee..but HUGE

Jan 17, 2015, 7:52 PM

CU been doing for years - will be a major impact on the SEC.

Re: a passive comment on the 4 yr guarantee..but HUGE

Jan 17, 2015, 8:06 PM

Not sure it will really matter. The guy will get a scholarship but that doesn't mean he has to be on the team or count against the scholarship limit. As I read it all it says is a kid will get 4 years of free education. Nothing to sneeze at but it won't change the sign-and-cut philosophy of the SEC (and others).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

disagree...can't turn sports scholarships to academic

Jan 17, 2015, 8:12 PM

scholarships at state universities without some MAJOR issues. gonna cause a fit at SC, ALA, FL, TN, AU, MS, MSst, etc. cant wait to see how they get around it and still talk with a straight face.

Re: disagree...can't turn sports scholarships to academic

Jan 17, 2015, 8:34 PM

SC had already announced a 4-yr guaranteed scholarship so clearly they already know the loop-hole.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11588029/university-south-carolina-gamecocks-guarantee-four-year-scholarships-headcount-sports

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, this will be the quote from Spurrier," Well, we got the

Jan 18, 2015, 8:30 AM

kid in on a Learning Disability waver and as it turns out, the kid cannot learn his assignments,so yeah, we had to let him go. We hated it, but, anyway....".

That's the way

Jan 17, 2015, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: a passive comment on the 4 yr guarantee..but HUGE ]

I read it. Don't see where there's a 4 year guarantee here. Wish they'd go that way.
Go Tigers!!

Here's a good article on it

Jan 17, 2015, 11:15 PM

It's about Purdue, but it's a little more clear than the others that I've read.

http://www.jconline.com/story/mike-carmin/2015/01/17/what-does-guaranteed-scholarships-mean-at-purdue/21929177/

--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic