Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Growing up in rural SC the only vegs came from the garden.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Growing up in rural SC the only vegs came from the garden.

Sep 2, 2020, 9:12 PM

My dad had a 5 acre garden and guess who had to keep it clean, me and my 2 brothers. The worse part was being barefoot and hoeing out the 5 acre garden on that scorching soil. We would hoe out a place to put our feet then hoe out the garden.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Growing up in rural SC the only vegs came from the garden.

Sep 2, 2020, 9:29 PM

Sounds like a lot of hoe-in around.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2020, 9:34 PM

I think I would have wore a pair of shoes, or tore up a croker sack and tied it around my feet. A 5 acre garden would have fed a 20 kid family, and had some for the aunts and uncles and cousins, and a veggie stand out by the road of a large family. When I was able to have a garden, my wife and I would grow a 50ft by 100ft garden, and we would put enough veggies in the freezer that last until the garden came in the next summer, plus we would use half the garden space to grow winter veggies also like collards, turnips, rutabegorz!!! Like I said, a 5 acre garden was a Huuuuge garden!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2020, 10:12 PM

We sold vegetables canned then when we got a freezer filled it up but green beans are better canned not frozen. We would go door to door selling watermelons in town.

Sep 2, 2020, 10:21 PM

My mother would can close to 100 quarts of green beans every year along with canned tomatoes, pickles and tons of frozen peas & other stuff.. And besides the garden, we would pick blackberries. wild plums, and muscadines for jelly. Also had apple jelly, apple butter, and pear preserves -my favorite. Hated fig preserves but loved the rest. Didn't even notice the hot ground on bare feet after a couple of weeks - never wore shoes all summer.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2020, 10:51 AM

Yup, love them jared tomatoes!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2020, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Growing up in rural SC the only vegs came from the garden. ]

Ya, took your shoes off when school ended and then went barefoot but not to church. Pear preserves are the best. I did not like the fig preserves either.

Sep 2, 2020, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Growing up in rural SC the only vegs came from the garden. ]

5 acres sounds like a lot but growing pumpkins and watermelons it takes a lot of room.

Sep 2, 2020, 10:15 PM

He's right with the 5 acres. You have to plant enough so the critters will leave some for you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2020, 10:29 PM

Well back then not many deer were up here in the upstate. Just in a few places. They restocked them up here in the 1950s. The Government paid farmers not to grow cotton and most planted pine trees.
The trees gave the deer a habitat and they took off. You can blame the Government on all the deer now. You can thank them when you hit one with your car.

Sep 3, 2020, 7:17 AM

I'm 62 and there were no deer to bother the garden or crops back then. I was probably 12 or so before I ever saw a whitetail and it took quite a few years before they were ever a significant threat to gardens and crops. Now you can't keep them off my farm. Soybeans don't have a prayer once they are in the ground.

Sep 3, 2020, 10:05 AM

I have killed a many deer out of soybean fields.

Sep 3, 2020, 6:46 AM

Yep, I remember the summer garden and those fresh vegetables. Fondest memory in grammar school
was picking a ripe tomato, going to the front porch, sitting in one of the rockers and eating
my tomato with salt and a piece of sliced white bread.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2020, 11:04 AM

Nothing like a mater sandwich with Dukes mayo. I still do 6 tomato plants in 5 gallon buckets every season, and me and the wife will eat them in BLTs, mater sandwiches, or just slice tomatoes until they are gone. Nothing like a SC grown tomato!!!

Sep 7, 2020, 12:19 AM

I like stewed tomatoes best. My wife says never refrigerate tomatoes it will change their taste.
She also says never snap your green beans then was wash them because you wash off all the natural sugars so wash before you snap them.

Five acres? That ain't no garden, that's a full blown field!

Sep 3, 2020, 11:09 AM

Way bigger than I would ever want to look after, for shore!

Re: Five acres? That ain't no garden, that's a full blown field!

Sep 3, 2020, 11:19 AM

That was what the kids were for but mom and dad did help pick the garden. He would drive us to town to sell the produce.

Re: Five acres? That ain't no garden, that's a full blown field!

Sep 3, 2020, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Five acres? That ain't no garden, that's a full blown field! ]

my father in-law produced more per plant in his one acre garden but he worked it himself. He just did not have room to grow all different stuff like we did.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic