Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One thing I am concerned about with Dabo is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

One thing I am concerned about with Dabo is

Dec 3, 2013, 1:15 PM

his coaching against high level game-day coaches who have roughly equivalent talent. I'd say Spurrier and Jimbo are the only coaches we've played that meet that definition and we failed badly against both. The UGA and LSU wins were really nice, but I don't see either of those guys as high level game-day coaches. That may sound strange but I think both guys have some limitations on game day IMO, and largely get by on having superior talent. Yes, they are both successful, but they don't exactly scare me strategically. Just look at UGA's record against USC over the last 4 years, despite having greater raw talent to work with.

So we can, and probably will, rack up a lot of wins with Dabo, but what about the games where game-day acumen matters? I'm not convinced about his ability in this regard, and I don't think it's realistic to expect a guy who has not even been a coordinator to suddenly become good at this. These are just my thoughts. I like Dabo, and want him to succeed, but I still question the hire. I don't really expect a national championship. I'll put it that way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you're right....

Dec 3, 2013, 1:17 PM

it does sound strange

you think Fisher is a high level game day coach?

Dec 3, 2013, 1:19 PM

I don't. I just think he has ridiculous amounts of talent, as evidenced by their recruiting rankings the last few years. They did lose to NC State last year and until this year, were consistently overrated. I just think the talent there is so overwhelming at this point, that it would be tough to screw that up. NOt saying he's a bad game day coach, but I surely wouldn't call him a high level game day coach.

Re: you think Fisher is a high level game day coach?

Dec 3, 2013, 2:15 PM

Talent and execution makes coaches look good or bad. (regardless of who they are, where they coach, or how experienced, etc.) If Gurley and Clowney chose to play for Clemson, you wouldn't even be having these discussions.

Therefore, the question is how does Clemson (working within the NCAA guidelines) recruit the most top players to Clemson. It really is that simple.

Re: you think Fisher is a high level game day coach?

Dec 3, 2013, 2:21 PM

I would suggest focusing on providing the most qualified coaching staff, best facilities, campus, education, and opportunity to play in the NFL.

(and work on Clemson's marketing strategy as well)

Re: One thing I am concerned about with Dabo is

Dec 3, 2013, 1:22 PM

Disagree on your opinion of Les Miles

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, I believe you are a troll. I believe you're not

Dec 3, 2013, 1:22 PM

a Clemson fan at all. I believe you don't like Dabo. I believe you don't want him to succeed.

Just my opinion, of course...

Wrong.

Dec 3, 2013, 1:27 PM

Clemson Grad actually. I love how folks who state negative opinions are trolls or coots.

Grad does not equal fan. You seem to really hate our

Dec 3, 2013, 1:31 PM

coaches, based on your posts this week. It's funny that you keep saying how you like them...I think you are over compensating and it shows.

Some of your recent posts are the definition of troll...IMO.

Re: Grad does not equal fan. You seem to really hate our

Dec 3, 2013, 2:08 PM

Luckily, you don't get to decide who is a fan and who is not.

I think it actually takes more audacity to criticize people who are upset over 5 straight losses than it does to question the coaching staff at this point. Much more audacity.

All this "No True Scotsman" talk on this board is dizzying.

Re: Grad does not equal fan. You seem to really hate our

Dec 3, 2013, 2:13 PM

What is it with this "if you criticize Dabo, you are not a true fan?" Quite frankly I care about Clemson, and Dabo and Clemson are not the same.

Dabo is a nice guy.

Dec 3, 2013, 1:29 PM

He needs to develop a Nick Saban like "killer instinct".

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Fully agree. Trick play interception is all the proof needed***

Dec 3, 2013, 1:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So ConvertedTiger, what did you convert to???***

Dec 3, 2013, 1:30 PM

Grew up in a UGA family, attended/graduated from Clemson,

Dec 3, 2013, 1:34 PM

so I bleed orange as the saying goes.

Re: So ConvertedTiger, what did you convert to???***

Dec 3, 2013, 2:09 PM [ in reply to So ConvertedTiger, what did you convert to???*** ]

Yeah, instead of address the guy's points, let's insinuate that he's not a Tiger fan.

Civil discourse 101.

Re: I say bull if you think Richt is not a big time

Dec 3, 2013, 1:35 PM

coach. He had the best team in the SEC until it was decimated with injuries.

Re: I say bull if you think Richt is not a big time

Dec 3, 2013, 1:39 PM

Good coach who keeps games closer than they should be sometimes. Has had no business losing to USC as much as he has. He's solid, but probably not quite the coach he was a decade ago when I think he had a little more fire. If he had a real in-state rival, he might be gone by now.

Re: No one in their right mind would fire him. Of course,

Dec 3, 2013, 1:46 PM

a lot of Ga. fans are never in their right mind.

More holes than swiss cheese in that arguement***

Dec 3, 2013, 1:42 PM

Oh!!! Converted from Tiger to COOT!***

Dec 3, 2013, 1:56 PM

Re: One thing I am concerned about with Dabo is

Dec 3, 2013, 2:04 PM

The problem is that we do not consistently play to our potential. You cannot have any confidence with regard to how we will play. And the results can be extreme. 70 points? 51 points at home against an ACC team? 5 in a row?

We will never be a respected perennial contender on the national stage until we consistently play to our potential instead of imploding at the worst possible times.

It's coaching, folks, and Dabo has got to wake up. Unless we are all content to be where we are.

See where you're going with this, but either you have it or

Dec 3, 2013, 2:39 PM

don't..and Dabo may not have it to the degree he/we need, But he has highly paid assistants to assist him IF he desires to use them on the field..

But yes, Steve Spurrier has it in his brain/mind which was helped that he was a Heisman winning QB..and later a highly winning coach at UF.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic