Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Greg Buckner for HC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Greg Buckner for HC

Mar 28, 2019, 2:51 AM

https://www.nba.com/grizzlies/video/gcm-hasseltine-buckner-1-on-1-phi-180715

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Greg Buckner for HC

Mar 28, 2019, 8:16 AM

Well now that’s not so far fetched. Maybe not now but he may want to come home in a couple years. Good thought

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2019, 8:24 AM

How much does his asst. coach gig pay in the NBA? Heard he is a well thought of coach. He is still young , 42 and would bring some excitement and NBA pedigree back to the program. He could hold onto Boogie as a assistant too.

Mar 28, 2019, 8:39 AM

Buckner would check every box for me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so how are his recruiting numbers? ties to the AAU leagues?

Mar 28, 2019, 9:08 AM

relationships to high school coaches? ability to fund raise and motivate boosters?

Im telling you, either go get a sure-thing (tom crean, bruce pearl, buzz williams, rick barnes type hire) or just stay with Brad and be mid tier. Why go hire another guy who has no experience as a college coach and possibly pull a Danny Manning and be gawd-awful? The only guy i would consider who is still just a mid level guy is Johnny Dawkins at UCF. I believe he could recruit, bring energy to the ACC, and get us respectable. Whether he would come here is another thing. And if he did well here and Coach K retires he'd probably get the Duke gig.

Re: so how are his recruiting numbers? ties to the AAU leagues?

Mar 28, 2019, 10:08 AM

“Why go hire another guy who has no experience as a college coach?” Which coach in the last 50 years at Clemson has no college coaching experience prior to becoming Clemson’s coach?

Also, is Coach Brownell personally motivating many boosters and raising tons of cash at this point?

Finally, if the choice is to remain mediocre or to take a chance on greatness, even if it might fail, I choose to roll the dice.

Re: so how are his recruiting numbers? ties to the AAU leagues?

Mar 28, 2019, 10:41 AM

That one worked out pretty good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

um....greg buckner...no college coaching experience......

Mar 28, 2019, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Re: so how are his recruiting numbers? ties to the AAU leagues? ]

....that i know of. Let me rephrase so that we can understand the point of the post "Why go hire another "potential guy" and this one with no college experience?" There you go.

So you're interested in hiring more question marks instead of hiring solid candidates. WE always have hired question marks here. And the question mark guys usually average right about where BB is at the moment. Mid pack.

Brownell's teams since he's been here have averaged right at this mark. WE been better that mid pack in seasons and we've below mid pack in seasons. So we are probably where we should be comparatively speaking.

Again, i'm not against getting another coach. But why not try something different this time around. Go with "knowledge" and find a candidate that checks more boxes than "potentially could be a good coach." Because that's been done already over and over. Why not follow the lead of UGA, TENN, VT, AUB who had balls and who have historically been "football schools" and went and hired actual proven winners? If those schools can do it then Clemson can do it. They did the same crap we used to do but not this time and all those schools are on the rise.

If we go hire some "i hope he pans out" guy...then lets not waste the time and energy b/c we will be right back here in 5 years making the same posts. I love Greg Buckner, i do. But he in now way has more credentials, results, and potential success than Brad Brownell.. so just stop.

Mar 28, 2019, 8:53 AM

This is actually the best solution I’ve heard. Definitely would fit into our budget. Like it was said- checks all the boxes for me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DRad - make it happen***

Mar 28, 2019, 9:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Mar 28, 2019, 9:06 AM

what part of "brad is not going anywhere" do you goobers not get. maybe you could just wait and do this groundhog thing again after next season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Sydney Lowe thing worked out pretty well for NC State

Mar 28, 2019, 9:19 AM

... didn’t it?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Conversely

Mar 28, 2019, 9:30 AM

Fred Hoiberg definitely worked at Iowa St, Mullen got St. Johns to the tourney this year, Ewing has Georgetown moving in the right direction, Avery Johnson recruited very well at Bama. It's really about the individual and who he surrounds himself with

Re: The Sydney Lowe thing worked out pretty well for NC State

Mar 28, 2019, 10:51 AM [ in reply to The Sydney Lowe thing worked out pretty well for NC State ]

Sydney Lowe didn’t have the charisma that Greg has. He’s been teaching. Was great on tv and they wanted him to stay on tv. He’s well connected and I really think he could identify with the recruits. Make no mistake, he’s a tough cookie. I’d hope DRad would at least consider it.

We don’t need a big time coach, just one that can win. One thing for sure, he is a Tiger.

Even when he was in the nba, he used to come back to

Mar 28, 2019, 10:54 AM

Clemson every summer and play pickup games in Fike. Thankfully he didn't play as hard as he could have on defense against us regular students.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buckner was a master of the lost art of the mid range jumper

Mar 28, 2019, 11:01 AM

Loved that guy!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Buckner was a master of the lost art of the mid range jumper

Mar 28, 2019, 11:12 AM

Reed was a great mid-range jump-shooter!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

His game winning dunk against the Tarholes in the ACC

Mar 28, 2019, 11:01 AM

tourney in '96 is all the convincing I need to give him a shot. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, he does have a history of beating UNCheat***

Mar 28, 2019, 11:19 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2019, 12:28 PM

He checks all the boxes for me as well. I also like Musselman at Nevada. Charismatic, NBA ties, wife is from Ga, always seems to have long athletes similar to FSU.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic