Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Clemson tight end suffers ACL injury
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

FB Update: Clemson tight end suffers ACL injury

Nov 4, 2014, 11:28 AM

Clemson tight end suffers ACL injury

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Clemson tight end suffers ACL injury

Nov 4, 2014, 11:30 AM

Something isn't right with all of these knee injuries.

I think we all know the problem, so I'll say it

Nov 4, 2014, 11:33 AM

FIRE BATSON!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I think we all know the problem, so I'll say it

Nov 4, 2014, 11:48 AM

Well that about as dumb as dirt

the irony is thick***

Nov 4, 2014, 12:04 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

well that irony about as thick as mud***

Nov 4, 2014, 12:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: well that irony about as thick as mud***

Nov 4, 2014, 1:34 PM

that irony about thick irony is ironic.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the joke....***

Nov 4, 2014, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: I think we all know the problem, so I'll say it ]

There's a guy I know whose career is in fitness and swears

Nov 4, 2014, 1:30 PM [ in reply to I think we all know the problem, so I'll say it ]

up and down that Batson is not a good fit for a football program. He's seen Batson's actual training regiment. He said that his Olympic background does not translate well on the field for a lot of athletes. He said it could be something as simple as teaching them to go ATG squats or wrapping their knees during heavy weight that could be causing ligament issues.

Personally, I can see the difference in some of these young men and their transformation so it's clear that something must be working. I also think we've just had a string of bad luck...

I get so tired of hearing the "FIRE" a coach everytime

Nov 4, 2014, 7:47 PM [ in reply to I think we all know the problem, so I'll say it ]

something does not go the way certain fans want it too. That injury has become very common as athletes become stronger. IMO they are to well conditioned. Or he could have been hit , landed in an awkward position.

Why do you think it is Coach Batson's fault.?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the Pony shoes

Nov 4, 2014, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson tight end suffers ACL injury ]

oh wait, nevermind

Re: FB Update: Clemson tight end suffers ACL injury

Nov 4, 2014, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson tight end suffers ACL injury ]

My thoughts exactly. How many teams do you hear of with these many injuries to the legs and knees? Our training room looks like a MASH unit.

Could it be the indoor training facility surface?

Nov 5, 2014, 11:50 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson tight end suffers ACL injury ]

What is it? Did these injuries occur in the indoor facility?

Hate to hear that....He was starting to play***

Nov 4, 2014, 11:30 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bummer. I forgot about this 2-star nepotism gift from Dabo.

Nov 4, 2014, 2:39 PM

His dad, Larry Greenlee is an assistant strength coach at Clemson and so as a nepotism gift, Dabo gave the kid a scholarship despite being a 2-star recruit who ran a 5.1 forty, had a max bench of 225lbs, and who apparently had no other scholarship offers.
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-D.J.-Greenlee-135642;_ylt=AsQJkIMrkndtzsQj8xNvPtZDPZB4

Dabo does many things well, but he wastes too many scholarships on guys that won't likely ever contribute meaningfully. Too bad he didn't use this scholarship on an interior OL.

Dabo has offered every top OL recruit in the south the past

Nov 4, 2014, 2:47 PM

five years. He tries to get the best OL every year. It's not like we're not offering them scholarships. Until this past year, they just haven't been willing to commit.

Do you think we missed out on a quality OL because of the Greenlee scholarship? If so, who was it?

Now if you're saying we should have offered a lightly regarded OL instead of a lightly regarded TE/LB, then I would say ... we've done that too and look at how that has turned out the past 5 years.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong! Here are some 3/4 star SCar OLs Dabo didn't offer...

Nov 4, 2014, 5:17 PM

First of all, offering isn't the same as actually recruiting someone, but your claim that Dabo offered every top OL recruit in the south is ridiculous. I just looked on Rivals.com at SCar's OL commits for 2012 (the year Dabo gifted Greenlee a schollie) and came up with 2 OLs Dabo didn't offer. And that's just our arch-rival SCar (who always seems to have a better OL than us), and just for 2012. If I had expanded my search to other schools and other years I'm sure I could find MANY more 3/4/5-star OL recruits Clemson didn't offer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Cody-Waldrop-113265;_ylt=AoV_ghZl75.mtLUf37fJRlFDPZB4

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Clayton-Stadnik-117013;_ylt=AluaE1WbxtB9V0rrdgAcmGxDPZB4

... that lack of an offer probably helps explain why we didn't land his 4-star brother...

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Brock-Stadnik-117012;_ylt=AtBMdFFNGILS.bOMxyto2qtDPZB4

Here are some examples of SCar OL commits THIS season that Dabo hasn't offered.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Paris-Palmer-159983;_ylt=AiSUODkrlTeL4X3eZF27DW1DPZB4

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Christian-Pellage-147311;_ylt=AorZOy6fPemxrdCR81SKbvlDPZB4

And that's just OLs. My real point was that Dabo wasted a scholarship through a nepotism gift. Do you seriously think that there was nobody in the country (at any position) who would have accepted a Clemson scholarship who could have helped the team more than 2-star DJ Greenlee?

Was that a good use of a scholarship?

When did 3-star guys become "top prospects" ?

Nov 4, 2014, 8:36 PM

Most observers do not consider 3-star guys to be "top" prospects.

My statement was regarding top prospects in the Southeast. BTW, one of your examples is from Pennsylvania ... not in the SE.

I stand by my assessment that we have offered pretty much every "top prospect" in the Southeast the past few years.

Since you did such thorough research on those guys who aren't really "top prospects" would you mind looking into the OL actually ranked in the Top 150 for the past few years in the Southeast and show some that we neglected to recruit?

Okay, to be fair, I actually did study this closely a month or two ago and that's how I drew my conclusions. If an OL was in the Southeast and was Top 150 on Rivals, we offered him almost without exception.

Yes, we probably could have gotten one of those 3-star guys you mentioned to bite on a scholarship. I dunno. But, honestly, we already have about 14 of those guys on the team right now.

Since Greenlee was actually contributing on the field, I would have to say that the decision to give him a scholarship has been validated.

When it fit Raz's obvious agenda***

Nov 5, 2014, 2:17 PM

I suggested offering a good interior OL, w/o artificial spec

Nov 5, 2014, 7:15 PM [ in reply to When did 3-star guys become "top prospects" ? ]

You conveniently made up the irrelevant limiting specifications of only "top prospects" in only in the "southeast". And then you further defined "top prospects" as 4-stars or greater-- even though a 3-star rating is pretty good for an OL, and we've sent several 3-star OLs to the NFL. And of course a 3-star OL would have been better than a 2-star, like Greenlee-- which was my original point!!! Unfortunately, Spurrier isn't bound by your artificial "top prospect in the southeast" specifications, which may explain why our archrival has beat us that last 5 straight games, in part by having a better OL.

Greenlee might have seen a bit of playing time (like many walk-ons do) but he hasn't been a meaningful contributor, nor will he likely be.

If Greenlee is so valuable, one would expect Dabo to apply for a medical redshirt and keep the guy on scholarship for 5-6 years. It'll be interesting to see if Dabo decides to give a nepotism gift of a bachelor's degree or a full master's degree.

Be honest...
Q1: Couldn't Dabo have gotten anybody onboard with that scholarship who could have helped the team more than 2-star Greenlee?

Q2: Don't you think Dabo gave Greenlee the schollie mostly as a favor to his Larry Greenlee who is a strength coach at Clemson?

You're correct ... I changed the discussion somewhat because

Nov 5, 2014, 10:46 PM

... I felt like you were unnecessarily critical of a kid whose scholarship may have been a gift, but who has earned playing time and proved himself worthy through contributions on the field. If he'd walked on, he'd probably still have earned a scholarship with his play.

When you suggested offering Greenlee's scholarship to some random interior lineman instead, I felt the need to point out that we go after lots of really highly regarded interior line prospects. We just haven't been particularly successful in signing them. We've signed lots of marginal players and we've certainly spent scholarships on plenty of guys who had no higher potential than Greenlee.

Personally, I don't believe we passed on any really promising OL in order to take Greenlee, although I feel certain we might have attracted another lightly regarded guy like Jerome Maybank if we'd looked around.

Would that have been better?

Yes. A 3-star OL or 3-star something would have been better***

Nov 6, 2014, 3:14 PM

Re: Dabo has offered every top OL recruit in the south the past

Nov 4, 2014, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Dabo has offered every top OL recruit in the south the past ]

I think he's recruited well, but Patrick DeStefano is out of football and Spencer Region might as well be. Both were 4 star recruits. I think I recall a third OL who quit the game because of injury too -- so I think the results are pretty good considering the attrition. Love seeing Crowder making a difference ... and I see why you would recruit a boy like Greenlee from Central.

Greenlee played in our last game guy, how was his schollie

Nov 4, 2014, 5:19 PM [ in reply to Bummer. I forgot about this 2-star nepotism gift from Dabo. ]

wasted?

Greenlee was taking on a bigger role

Nov 4, 2014, 6:06 PM

That's why Seckinger was working with the WR's before Greenlee's injury.

It isn't wasted by those in the know, the coaches.***

Nov 4, 2014, 11:19 PM [ in reply to Greenlee played in our last game guy, how was his schollie ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep-- he's played in 4 games as a FR.... I bet we have

Nov 5, 2014, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Greenlee played in our last game guy, how was his schollie ]

some other scholarship freshman that haven't seen a snap or only got action against SCSU

So what? We have walk-ons who see playing time.

Nov 5, 2014, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Greenlee played in our last game guy, how was his schollie ]

Was 2-star TE Greenlee the best possible use of a scholarship?

Do you think nepotism was involved with giving Greenlee a scholarship or do you seriously believe that Greenlee was the best possible player Clemson could have gotten onboard with a schollie?

Couldn't you say the same thing about Jeff Scott?***

Nov 6, 2014, 10:58 AM

Couldn't you answer my questions?

Nov 6, 2014, 3:18 PM

But yeah... Jeff Scott was likely a nepotism hire, but at least he's always carried his weight as a recruiter. Initially he didn't seem to be a very good position coach, but Morris seems to have mentored him up.

Receiver Coach

Nov 11, 2014, 4:34 PM

I thought we have had a number of receivers who have made it to the NFL
under Jeff's Scott's tutelage, and he has done a whale of a job as recruiter.

Give it a rest Razzmacoot***

Nov 5, 2014, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Bummer. I forgot about this 2-star nepotism gift from Dabo. ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic