Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Great win, but some issues to address
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,488

Great win, but some issues to address

Sep 28, 2014, 10:45 AM

The only disappointment I have from last night's game is we didn't "step on their throat" when we should have.

Up 17-0, I don't have a problem bringing Stoudt in for a series. That being said, UNC was loading the box and every playcall for Stoudt played into the hands of the Tar Heels, thus a miserable looking three and out (after 1st play penalty on underthrown pass)

Demoralize in the first half, and cruise in the second. Football has been played that way for as long as its been around and with good reason.

The following items I wouldn't necessarily call disappointments as much as issues that need addressing.

1) Offensive line - our OL seemed very confused at times in pass blocking. On numerous plays, they were actually running into each other causing missed and/or bad blocks.

While the OL didn't blow UNC d-linemen off the ball on running plays, there were some holes available that weren't taken advantage of. Some of that is vision and first cut speed.
Which brings me to...

2) Running back - I was a bit confused by they load of the carries going to Davidson (9 carries 3.5 ypc) and Howard (13 carries 2.4 ypc). Just 3 carries for Choice, and 2 for Gallman. I'd be curious to hear the reasoning behind that.

3) Defense took the 2nd half off. I'm not sure what was said at halftime, but please don't say it again. The fourth quarter of the UGA game intensity, or lack off, showed itself again the entire 2nd half last night. That needs to change.

Believe it or not, the offense will get even better. We're young on both sides of the ball in key positions and some of the mistakes last night, especially on defense, will be corrected.

Against a good team, last night's 2nd half on defense would mean a blowout the other way.

Finally, it seemed to me that Chad Morris has some mental lapses when it comes to playcalling. There were some horrible looking calls at times and even as young as we are at skill positions, we could've scored 100 pts against that UNC defense. We had tremendous success throwing downfield and we should've kept doing so until they stopped it.

All that being said, I wouldn't trade our coaching staff for anyone. We have issues we can address and those we can't (youth) will continue to improve.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post***

Sep 28, 2014, 11:29 AM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I may get hammered for this, but I believe it...

Sep 28, 2014, 11:38 AM

I think too much of Dabo's emotional personality is involved in coaching decisions.

Whether it's loyalty, or this Rudy-inspired reward for hard work. Or maybe an idea that moral karma will effect the scoreboard somehow because we are running the program the right way. Those things are all admirable... but not really going to help our team's performance.

Dabo is an extremely emotional guy. And he's an extremely confident guy. He seems to believe that his way, which involves the aforementioned emotional tendencies, will eventually be justified by a championship.

Problem is, I've never seen a team who has such a bad mental problem with finishing games despite an amazing physical effort and great talent.

I can't help but think there may be a connection somewhere.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I may get hammered for this, but I believe it...

Sep 28, 2014, 6:21 PM

Without Dabo's emotional personality, we likely would never have had CJ Spiller, Nuk, Sammy, Watson, etc... attend Clemson.

Dabo is an energizing leader. Young men of character are attracted to his style and Clemson has been better for it.

Our issue with finishing, seems to be on defense. BV will get it corrected I'm sure.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't have to be over-emotional to get talent.

Sep 28, 2014, 8:18 PM

I give Dabo credit for improving the program overall, but to pretend that there isn't something wrong, considering the extreme headcase behavior we see so often, is counterproductive.

We must get mentally stronger

Sep 28, 2014, 8:23 PM

before the game vs the chickens.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

everybody on this threat is right.Stout started because Dabo

Sep 28, 2014, 7:17 PM [ in reply to I may get hammered for this, but I believe it... ]

felt like he owed him instead of playing the best players,"we could be undefeated" & yes his personality is an asset in recruiting

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great win, but some issues to address

Sep 28, 2014, 11:46 AM

good post, +1

Good post

Sep 28, 2014, 11:58 AM

While the lack of running game was frustrating, the screen passes really irritated me... Spence-esque

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good post

Sep 28, 2014, 7:03 PM

agreed. with our success down the field, not sure why they kept throwing those bubbles.UNC never did make adjustments in regards to deep coverage.

Lugenbill hit it on the head

Sep 28, 2014, 7:22 PM

Only difference between us and Auburn is that our O-line is soft (his words, not mine) and that we don't have a nasty OL to run the ball.

Hopefully that changes with the guys we're bringing in, but I can't help but think part of it is the coaches on offense. Too many boy scouts and not enough mean SOBs potentially. If we get this fixed though, our O is going to be insane in a year or two.

Re: Lugenbill hit it on the head

Sep 28, 2014, 7:39 PM

The only difference is between us and auburn is O line?

I'd say our QB(quality passer and can run) is better than theirs(track speed but terrible passer) and our WR are better.

their o line is better, yes. But that's not the only difference.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,488
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic