Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Sammy for Heisman?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Sammy for Heisman?

Dec 18, 2011, 12:04 PM

Sammy for Heisman?

Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins said Saturday that he thinks he can go after college football's most prestigious award in 2012 - the Heisman Trophy. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't chase a personal trophy...

Dec 18, 2011, 12:16 PM

Chase trophies for the team. If you display your incredible skills helping the team, the personal accolades will happen all by themselves. Even the Heisman.

It could work both ways ...

Dec 18, 2011, 3:22 PM

Frankly, if Sammy has the kind of season it will take for a Clemson player to get the Heisman,the team will have had to have enjoyed a tremendous season as well.

No Clemson player will get the Heisman unless the player has consistently produced huge numbers in the biggest games and the team itself is having a Top-10 sort of season.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CALLING HIS SHOT!!!!

Dec 18, 2011, 8:52 PM

I love it Sammy "deuce" Watkins calling his shot for 2012 season. What better way than to submit application for the 12 Heisman Trophy race by having a huge game at the Orange Bowl on National Stage.

Yep ... Heisman race begins January 4 in Miami.

Dec 20, 2011, 11:29 AM

Absolutely no better way for Sammy's campaign to begin than to have a huge game in the Orange Bowl leading Clemson to a victory and a Top-10 finish.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ask Baylor what it was like for RG3 to chase the Heisman.

Dec 18, 2011, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Don't chase a personal trophy... ]

Best season in decades and tons of positive attention for the university.

And he missed a game....

Dec 18, 2011, 12:46 PM

Personal accolades are great, but I think Sammy truly keeps the team in front of him. The personal hardware will come with his team's success.

Adrian Peterson and Herschel Walker? That is great company....

Re: And he missed a game....

Dec 18, 2011, 1:21 PM

I think that Sammy has already showed that he would trade a trophy case full of Trophy's to help his team to win games. To have two CJ type players in the same decade is a very special happening for Clemson....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same thing Marcus

Dec 18, 2011, 1:25 PM

Lattimore said and look what happened to him this yr.... If Sammy wins it GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!! but a National Championship would be better.........

Great point. C.J. was a once in 50 years type player/person

Dec 18, 2011, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: And he missed a game.... ]

but it looks like Sammy is cut from the same mold. There is clearly something in those hills.

Wish I would not have read this article..

Dec 18, 2011, 4:15 PM

Sammy is a great player/person, but personal accolades and trophies are not the most important thing. Just play hard every down and the rewards will come. Setting goals is great but setting team goals is much more important. At least he did say winning ACC championship again was a goal but let's quit all this heisman talk and get ready to play ball next season!
GO TIGERS!!

You guys are ridiculous...

Dec 18, 2011, 5:20 PM

...This is what we want in a player at Clemson: To be the best!!! I think it's great he wants to be the best because he knows if he's at his best his team has a chance at being great.

I'm pretty sure Sammy has proven he is a team player.

i agree

Dec 18, 2011, 5:25 PM

just seems a little out of character for a guy who is all business. He has my full support either way.

Go Sammy

Dec 18, 2011, 5:54 PM

Do you expect him to lie and say he doesn't want the Heisman? He is smart enough to know that can only happen when Clemson has a great season. He still needs to block, run dummy routes etc for us to win, he will do it. I agree, how lucky are we to have Spiller and Sammy in the same decade? Go Tigers! Sammy start that campaign in Miami.

Re: Go Sammy

Dec 18, 2011, 6:46 PM

I too agree!
It's the old which came first, The Tiger, or the Tiger Cub?
;)

Go Tigers!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Deer Sammy

Dec 18, 2011, 8:40 PM

It would be awesome if you win the Heisman! However, there are 10 other guys that you will need to have a chance at winning this award.

Repeat your performance again next year, except

Dec 18, 2011, 10:29 PM

the team can't lose to the NCS's of the conference.

Your chances will depend on how the team performs. Unfortunately, that's how the CFB world thinks of Clemson. Had we won 2 of the 3, then your chances would have been good if you weren't a freshman.

What would you prefer?

Dec 19, 2011, 1:26 AM

This kind of confidence only comes from GREAT players. It's better to have someone like Sammy who talks about possible Heisman award than to have a less caliber player never mention the subject at all. My own opinion though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm all about Sammy, but

Dec 19, 2011, 6:26 AM

you never heard that from CJ. If Sammy is the kind of guy I think he is you won't hear it anymore-it'll be all business. It's offically out there now and he's more than capable of backing it up. I just don't want every opposing linebacker, db with extra incentive to hit him accross the middle and say "Heisman that". Again, I think he will be all business from here on out. Show them on the field, not in print.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I view this a little differently

Dec 19, 2011, 9:22 AM

Everyone on the team has personal goals, for each game and for each season. The number one goal for every player is team success as it should be. But personal goals are every bit as crucial to team success. For linemen, its usually something like grading out every game at 90% or better. For linebackers its blocks defeated, tackles, tackles for loss and sacks, depending on the scheme. For secondary, its passes defended and broken up, and interceptions. Setting these personal goals pushes individuals to contribute at their highest level so that the team as a whole benefits. So, I see the two as inseparable.

For an offensive skill player with Sammy's level of talent and skill, the Heisman is a personal goal that is both realistic and will push him to continue to improve. In so doing, his motivation and improvement should also push the team to improve. I don't have any problem with him acknowledging what he wants to do and how he intends to get there.

And I'm not concerned about linebackers or DBs with Sammy. He's already shown that he can take punishment and dish it out pretty well himself...

This article angers me...

Dec 19, 2011, 10:44 AM

The first two paragraphs make Sammy seem very self-interested and pretentious.

Yet if you see the interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWsX3q_JzgE&feature=player_embedded

You'll notice these are the reporters words, and Sammy is just trying to laugh it off and answer humbly.

This article could have been worded better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic