Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Mark Richt firing: How it impacts recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

The Mark Richt firing: How it impacts recruiting

Nov 29, 2015, 5:06 PM

Folks it'll be interesting to see how all this plays out. Some prospects are still 100% committed, others had no comment, and some are having family talks to see what direction they'll head to. At this point in time it would seem to appear that Kirby Smart or Tom Herman may be the leading candidate to replace Richt. How soon, or if one accepts the job, could have a major impact on UGA's next class. Can he keep them committed? Would Smart sway a few Tide recruits? Nonetheless this will be interesting to follow. Plus, its another opening that is far better than the South Carolina job so they're seemingly hitting the bottom of the barrel in Columbia.

How it could impact Clemson?

For starters, I believe it could have more of an impact on the 2017 class rather than this years class for us. We've got a few remaining targets on our radar and we're seemingly in prime position with most. Georgia is facing plenty of questions at this point while Clemson has a staff in place and is built to win. Additionally, Swinney and crew have shown that they have no hang ups about playing true freshmen. That helps a lot!

QUICK LINK: For a list of 2017 Clemson prospects, click here: http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17602238

One recruit that the next Georgia hire will have an impact on is ATH Mecole Hardman. Though small in stature, one would be hard pressed to find a better athlete than Hardman (5-10 175). Simply put he can get it done as a wide receiver, package player on offense, and even dominate in the secondary. His recruitment appeared to be down to Tennessee and Georgia but Alabama is trying to push him in another direction lately. This appears to be a three horse race but we certainly wouldn't turn him down. However I haven't heard of any mutual communication for some time.

A lot of folks in orange are going to want us to go after highly rated OL Ben Cleveland. The US Army All-American Bowl participant was offered by Clemson, his fourth offer at the time, and attended Clemson junior day back in 2014. However, he is a huge Georgia fan and today said, “I have 100 percent faith in UGA bringing in the right man. I’ve committed to the program and will always be a Dawg. Gotta stay positive.” (via Twitter).

DB Chad Clay has been a solid Georgia lock for quite some time but I could see Ohio State making a huge push for the 3* recruits services. “I’m just shocked. I didn’t see it coming.” Clay had been in contact with Clemson earlier in the process and was on campus. We're likely to go after 4* DB's PJ Blue or Bryan Edwards.

Another prospect is 6-5 WR/Ath Charlie Woerner of Rabun, GA. He's still a solid Dawg commit but his recruitment appeared to be down to Clemson and Georgia. His uncle, Scott, played for the Dawgs on their national title team. I do not see him flipping. Last season Woerner tallied 1,187 rush yards, 690 receiving yards, and 17 total TD (caught 6, ran for 11) to go with 122 total tackles and an INT.

One prospect who does have some uncertainty is OL Chris Barnes (6-5 270). He's a 3* prospect who was initially all about Georgia but could be having second thoughts. “It was a devastating blow to me and my family. We are still trying to decide what we are going to do. Sad day in DawgNation.” Clemson has not offered him.

2017 WR Devonta Smith could be looking for a change as well. Smith is a 4* recruit and one could expect LSU to try and keep him in state now. “It’s just something I have to sit down and talk to my parents about. It really shocked me.” Clemson has not offered.

The Bulldogs recently received a verbal from highly rated RB Devwah Whaley of Beaumont, Texas. With the Richt tenure coming to a close he could have a change of heart. “Shocked right now.” (Whaley also stated he was still committed to UGA and wanted to wait to see who the new head coach will be and learn about who will be on the new staff before making any decisions regarding his commitment.) Unless something drastic occurs, Clemson will not take an interest in Whaley. Georgia also has a commit from shifty 4* RB Elijah Holyfield and this should not impact his verbal.

Others:
2017 4-star DE Malik Herring— “I’m absolutely shocked. Coach Richt is a good coach and a good guy. UGA will be missing a good guy and coach.” Clemson is thought to be one of his leaders.

2017 4-star CB LeAnthony Williams— “It’s just a lot to take in right now. I’m just surprised with everything right now.” Clemson is actively recruiting him.

2017 LB Nate McBride, Jr., Vidalia — “I’ll say I’m shocked. That’s all I’m saying right now.” Clemson is actively recruiting him.

2017 4-starCB William Poole-"His departure does not affect my feelings about UGA in any kind of way.” Clemson is actively recruiting him.

2016 5-star DT Derrick Brown— “I mean it’s hard to pick a school with no one in a secure head coaching job because if your position coach were to leave, which happens a lot, you want that security from the head ball coach to be there for your whole term of four years to always have somebody you are comfortable with leading you.”

2017 commit Deejay Dallas, ATH, Glynn Academy — “I have to respectfully decline that question.”

Darion Anderson, WR, Houston County — “No comment on this.”

Randrecous Davis, WR, Mays — “I don’t even know what to say right now.”

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great job as always Bry.

Nov 29, 2015, 5:10 PM

No wonder your post to TU ratio is so high.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Julien Rochester

Nov 29, 2015, 5:10 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Julien Rochester

Nov 29, 2015, 5:17 PM

Didn't somebody say he put on a lot of bad weight and dropped in the rankings? I'm sure our staff could probably whip him back into shape though....

Lawrence > >>> Rochester

Nov 29, 2015, 5:19 PM [ in reply to Julien Rochester ]

Julian is a heck of a prospect for sure but he showed up at the camps this summer with some serious weight issues. His stock seems to be trending down. He is a very, very large guy and is probably best suited as a nose guard in a 3-4 defense. He isn't the same prospect he was a few years ago. I think for us its Dexter Lawrence for sure. He fits our scheme better and would work out well in Brent's system. Plus, could you imagine Wilkins and Lawrence playing along side each other. Wow.

Re: Lawrence > >>> Rochester

Nov 29, 2015, 6:56 PM

Agree Bry

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: Julien Rochester

Nov 29, 2015, 7:37 PM [ in reply to Julien Rochester ]

Rochester isn't that great right now. Reminds me a lot of Terrence Cody. Overweight and unathletic.

Re: The Mark Richt firing: How it impacts recruiting

Nov 29, 2015, 5:12 PM

All of that is good ,., but beating UNC and going 13-0 ACC champions ,.,
On to the playoffs If this team cam play like I know they can and Win it all
that will help our recruiting more than anything we can do .,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's the latest on the Coot dumpster fire?***

Nov 29, 2015, 5:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dumpster fire? Brother its a 4 alarm disaster at this point.

Nov 29, 2015, 5:58 PM

Hmmm.... where to start. Where to start... Honestly the only thing they offer is early playing time. And well, if they had any delusional thoughts about landing OL John Simpson they can pretty much forget that. Its just over a month away from his announcement to Clemson (specific date is January 9th on NBC).

Here's a GREAT quote for ya that is very telling on how bad it is down there:
USC defensive line commitment Darius Whitfield made an unofficial visit to USC for The Citadel game. “It went good, it was different,” he said of the visit. Asked if he’s still a firm commitment, Whitfield replied, “Of course haha, why would you ask?”

Former kewt WR commit Kyle Davis got out of there early and he recently gave a verbal to Auburn. That one really hurt them because he's a play-maker and they desperately could've used him next year. He's the top rated WR in the 2016 class and they'd have started him from day one. Every team in the country wanted him- they had him, and they lost him. But it gets worse...

As most of you know, South Carolina also lost tremendous ATH/WR Bryan Edwards of Conway, SC. Man, they could've used him BADLY. To further salt the wound, Edwards is pretty much a lock to Clemson where he'll likely play DB. Let that sink in for a minute...

Furthermore, Clemson is raiding the state and is signing darn near anyone we want. The top RB in the 2016 class? Got him! A top OL from Fort Dorchester? Soon! Phenomenal DT from the low country? Signed FA papers already! It started last year and will continue into the 2017 class as well.

Speaking of desperately needing to score point, they could lose out on RB CJ Freeman who was recently in Wisconsin. If you wanna go to school and be a featured back, why not Wisconsin. Its what they do. “It was a great visit, something I enjoyed,” Freeman said. “I’m thinking about a great opportunity. They do not have a running back commitment at the moment. They are really short at running back. The coaches are all telling me they want me. I’m a top priority. They are only offering three running backs. They are trying to get me to come on board and be an early impact, the first one helping out."

Losing DB commit PJ Blue is also another tough blow for them, especially since they could potentially lose him to us :). He'd have played for sure next year and they could've used a tall, big, physical guy like him in the secondary and playing close to the line.

Remember DE Jordan Smith (6-6 210) from Georgia? Well, after Clemson and Georgia 'lost interest' he committed to SCar. He'll have to put on some weight for sure at 210. I'm happy to say that our DE commit, Xavier Kelly, is a beastly 6-5 255. Add to it, OL Pete Leota came to coach Dabo Swinney Camp looking for an offer last year and did not receive one. South Carolina eventually did and the 2*/3* recruit gave a verbal...

If they lose JJ Givens, then that secondary is in serious trouble. Though he's not a top 40 CB, they could really use him and use him early.

Also, don't look now but QB Brandon McIlwain was on Penn State's campus and is building a relationship with coach James Franklin and crew. He is currently the Gamecocks ONLY 4* VERBAL RECRUIT. You wanna talk about the wheels falling off? Look no further if they lose him cause this would TOTALLY decimate them for quite some time. If he decides to decommit or go pro in baseball.... ouch. A three win season could be a lofty goal for them.

Now, nobody ever said they were smart but they just offered DB Troy Pride after he cut his list to Notre Dame and Virginia Tech. Bad timing guys...

Re: Dumpster fire? Brother its a 4 alarm disaster at this point.

Nov 29, 2015, 6:18 PM

I believe the coots only options are: 1. Keeping Elliot 2. Going after Richt 3. Offering Smart.
Georgia will get either Smart or the Houston coach. So that leaves Richt and one of the two just mentioned. Coots will get one of these and Miami getting the other one. What say you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dumpster fire? Brother its a 4 alarm disaster at this point.

Nov 29, 2015, 6:40 PM

Coach Smart is likely UGa. bound. Richt isn't interested in USCe, but UVa. or Miami are options along with Missouri. USCe is likely looking at other options like Fedora from UNCheat. Tanner is having to really dig deeply to find a suitable candidate for the job!

Go Tigers!

how insane fire Richt for Kirby Smart?

Nov 29, 2015, 7:40 PM

That makes no sense at all.

Simpson backed off announcing at the Army AA game.

Nov 29, 2015, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Dumpster fire? Brother its a 4 alarm disaster at this point. ]

Wants to take other visits.

Via twitter:

"I Will "NOT" Be Making My Decision At The Army All-American Game."

Re: Simpson backed off announcing at the Army AA game.

Nov 29, 2015, 7:39 PM

Something odd is going on with Simpson. Might have to do with LSU, might be Tennessee, but someone's definitely in his ear right now.

Point for the Coot mouth breather gif.

Nov 29, 2015, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Dumpster fire? Brother its a 4 alarm disaster at this point. ]

Never gets old.

They listed the top 5 recruiting classes for this year on TV

Nov 29, 2015, 6:14 PM

and Clemson wasnt in there. LSU was #1; what are these guys looking for? What could be a better place than Clemson? I dont get it; we have held a #1 ranking for half the season, doesnt that get their attention?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great question, glad you asked.....

Nov 29, 2015, 6:44 PM

One could argue that perhaps the most overrated thing which occurs this time of year is the implied belief that early commits, and the class rankings they boost, are a clear indication of success on the football field. To be honest, these 'projected class rankings' are about as useful as preseason rankings. It's all about fitting your needs and numbers. Getting guys that fit your system. Getting high character guys. Some folks simply aren't Clemson or Stanford guys.

Sure its nice to be #1 but that doesn't mean every top recruit can fit your system or scheme. Frankly some don't have the grades to cut it at Clemson. Its not for everybody. Ya gotta find the right guys, the smart guys, and the team players. Oklahoma hasn't had the best recruit rankings lately but they've done plenty on the field. So has OK State, Stanford, Baylor, Michigan State and a host of others who find the right guys for what they need.

Keep in mind these recruits are teenagers and most know how indecisive teens can be at times. We've seen recruits remain committed from day one of the verbal commit- yet we've also seen theatrical last minute change of hearts. However we've also seen surprising late commits that were not necessarily on a team's big board- in Clemson's particular instance think of highly regarded 2015 DT prospect Christian Wilkins.

So where does this leave us? Well, let's try a comparison to our biggest foe, in perhaps FSU. One could look at the rankings and think doom and gloom but that's just not true. They're taking a larger class than us this year, as we have few seniors on our young roster, and furthermore most teams will sign way more than us. Would one think they wouldn't have signed or didn't want Rahshaun Smith? TJ Chase? Tavien Feaster? Or last season Albert Huggins? Or Mitch Hyatt? Heck, everybody wants those guys.

They're (FSU) a pretty good team, they've put guys in the league, and they've accomplished a lot lately. That tends to help recruiting- not to undermine what we've done. However you can't always expect elite success simply based on how high some pundits rate your class. Some times a team needs to fill their needs with the appropriate athletes which is what we're doing with this class. Would you rather have Zerrick Cooper or the head ache that is FSU QB prospect Malek Henry- who recently departed IMG Academy for "recurring attitude problems" and "clashing with coaches." Do you really want FSU guys like that and Jameis or would you rather take great kids like Deshaun? It's a no brainer in this guys opinion.

With all do respect to even the biggest naysayer, how could one not be excited about our 2016 class? We've landed the best running back in the nation in Tavien Feaster. One would be hard pressed to find a more physical linebacker than Rahshaun Smith (I think he's a Clemson man). T.J. Chase is perhaps the most underrated wide receiver in the country. The same can be said for offensive lineman Sean Pollard. However one must realize that our class is already elite and only getting better. Our coaches know what they're doing and their resumes of the past few seasons is indeed telling.

In addition, we should all remember that Vic Beasley was not a top rated prospect coming out of high school. Neither was Spencer Shuey. Chandler Catanzaro walked on. The coaching and development of athletes should not be overlooked. Baylor was a cellar dweller team until they found the right coach. Ever see Boise State high up in the recruiting rankings? Or how about Michigan State (consistently)? Or two-time SEC East champs Missouri. Just a thought to keep thing in perspective.

Re: The Mark Richt firing: How it impacts recruiting

Nov 29, 2015, 6:49 PM

What a breakdown. Wow.

A lot for 2017 will depend on who the HC is

Nov 30, 2015, 10:21 AM

I'll bet a lot of kids are thinking like Whaley.

Some guys who are favoring us but still have the Dawgs on their list now may have fewer things to think about. Jamyest Williams is one who comes to mind.

I'm watching to see what happens with some of the top guys for this class, too. Isaac Nauta decommitted from FSU and everyone seems to think it was to come back to UGA and Richt, for example.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic