Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Celebrate progress by going to Tillman Hall as a minority.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Celebrate progress by going to Tillman Hall as a minority.

Mar 8, 2019, 12:20 PM

Instead of changing the Tillman name and being offended by it, embrace how far we have come. If you take away the historical context, you forget progress. Be proud as a minority to advance your education in a building named for someone who would have done everything in their power to keep you from an education in their day.

It seems to me that if Tillman was a racist, and someone said to him "we have named a building at a racially integrated university after you," he would have wanted the name change himself. I know this is spotty logic, but let his name be associated with diversity, tolerance, etc., moving forward. Heck, call it the Tillman Center for Diversity.

My half cents worth. GO TIGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Celebrate progress by going to Tillman Hall as a minority.

Mar 8, 2019, 12:29 PM

Tillman is well-known to be a racist, but as someone mentioned in a thread earlier, he was a major player in helping start SC State as well.

I'm not sure that he was against everyone being educated.

He wanted separation which thankfully we have moved past in terms of education.

Obviously they do not have a building named after him at SC State but it appears that his contributions to education at both institutions were similar.

The Pol Pot center for Genocide prevention

Mar 8, 2019, 12:30 PM

No but I do get your point. But I also don't think that would be a good reason to keep it named Tillman

Re: The Pol Pot center for Genocide prevention

Mar 8, 2019, 11:14 PM

Dude, Pol Pot was history's Bronze Medal winner for genocide, just behind Stalin and Hitler. There's really no "historical context" to judge...the dude would have been The Worst, in any era.

The problem gets to be when you judge past folks by modern norms. No offense, it's juvenile idiocy. If you start lopping names off the wall for everything they did back in the day that wouldn't pass modern muster...you literally would have no one left.

By definition people from the past are all regressive atavists. That's kinda why the word "progress" exists. We've come a ways since those times.

And guess what: future generations will be looking back on us, and marveling at our collective stupidity and chracter defects.

You honor people for their historical achievements, not their historical blemishes. Because there is absolutely no one in history who looks good by modern norms. Again, the world moves on.

Re: The Pol Pot center for Genocide prevention

Mar 9, 2019, 1:08 PM

I agree. I cant wait to see what out "social norms" look like in 30 years. When you start bending ethics and morality to conform to " today's standards" even the best people will be reviled for not being good enough.

As Dennis Prager so brilliantly put it...the Left cheapens language

Mar 9, 2019, 5:32 PM [ in reply to The Pol Pot center for Genocide prevention ]

They cheapen the meaning of Nazism, fascism, and genocide by misapplying and abusing those words.
Tillman and Pol Pot are in two different universes and it’s not even debatable.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Once done, Good or Bad History can’t be rewritten or hidden!

Mar 8, 2019, 12:33 PM

Best thing is to use it, good or bad, as a learning lesson, hopefully of progress.

Should we tear down the Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington or whatever monument to imperfect men (Lee is already down I believe in Charlottesville).

Even Martin L King was an imperfect man morally I understand..so what happens there with every statue & street sign across this Nation?

And, the very people opposing other people’s statues are very imperfect & sinful too.

Watch out when you Judge, in that You will be liable to be Judged, maybe more harshly.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Once done, Good or Bad History can’t be rewritten or hidden!

Mar 8, 2019, 1:18 PM

oh good grief. Lincoln, Jefferson, and Washington weren't remotely on the level of Ben Tillman. The man literally had a black preacher pulled out of a church and executed on the spot because they mistook something he was preaching about from Revelations for uppity negro talk. The Red Shirts made the Klan look like a Garden Club.

Mar 8, 2019, 1:44 PM

That preacher wasn’t Jeremiah Wright?!?

Mar 8, 2019, 8:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Once done, Good or Bad History can’t be rewritten or hidden! ]

Lincoln caused a civil war that killed 600,000 Americans. So yeah he is probably on the same level as Tillman. Read some of the books that have been shared on Tigernet. This is what happens when you ignore and forget history.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Lincoln and Tillman are completely incomparable

Mar 8, 2019, 10:50 PM

No problem with being conservative but Jesus....

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let any one of you who is without sin be the first * * *

Mar 8, 2019, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Once done, Good or Bad History can’t be rewritten or hidden! ]

to throw a stone

This is why this scripture is relevant

Mar 8, 2019, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Once done, Good or Bad History can’t be rewritten or hidden! ]

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee ANY graven image, or ANY likeness of ANY thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Abba Yahweh knew that our reverence for images would be a stumblingblock, and this includes people that we reverence...

I have been against the naming of monuments, airports, buildings, streets after people because people have many failings and we are too quick to elevate individuals to pedestals, piety and sainthood... which is a measure of judgement as well, which we are not to assign determination of worth of others as well...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could go for Trump Hall

Mar 8, 2019, 1:14 PM

Dems say he is a man of color ... the color Orange ... Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trump Tower***

Mar 8, 2019, 3:30 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Great idea

Mar 8, 2019, 1:42 PM

People forget about that "progress" thing these days and seem quite content to live in the past.

People also forget about context. Tillman Hall, Calhoun Honors Society, etc, weren't named for those men because they were slave holders or racist. They were named for them because of their larger contributions to SC and the area in general. Heck, pretty much everyone in SC back then was a racist to some degree and anyone of prominence owned slaves. If they didn't buy them, they inherited them. It wasn't right by any means, but it was the culture of the day.

As you said, thankfully, we've come a LONG way on race relations and diversity. Changing names or removing statues won't change the past or remove the scars. Moving forward and making yourself the best person you can be will, however, change the future.

Live in the past, or change the future. It can't go the other way around.

Can't we all be Tigers?!!

Mar 8, 2019, 2:20 PM

If America pi$$es you off, leave, but don't get in the way of those people WaLkInG 3000 miles and climbing walls to get here. If you do, you might be called a racist.

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation(al CHAMPIONS!)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Re: Can't we all be Tigers?!!

Mar 8, 2019, 8:09 PM

Build the wall

Mar 8, 2019, 2:26 PM

I'm not going anywhere as a minority . That's how you end up on TMZ looking like a tool .

DB23

Mar 8, 2019, 7:52 PM

Well, in another few years and my white pasty #### will be in the minority so....

What did Tillman have to say about immigrants from me-he-co?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2019, 7:17 PM

Your logic is off.

Imagine if Germany still had places named after nazis and you were telling descendants of the holocaust to go enjoy being there because they have so much more freedom and should celebrate the fact that their parents or grand parents weren't murdered.

Would you still make that argument?

Mar 8, 2019, 7:46 PM

Germany was an entirely different situation. Hitler came into power in the 1930's and changed Germany from a free country to a slaughter house of his own people. When the war was over the people eliminated any aspect of Hitler. Hitler burned books and destroyed anything that did not gain his approval. He was trying to change history to conform to his beliefs. Seems as though some of us are trying to burn books.

Why don't we celebrate the changes that have occurred over time? This is a new age. We have the opportunity to feed the hungry, house the homeless, volunteer to tutor and do all sorts of things to help those in need. Efforts to change the name of Tillman Hall pales in comparison to what we can do if we want to really make an impact in this world.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2019, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Celebrate progress by going to Tillman Hall as a minority. ]

You are so confused

Tillman Hall was named such in retaliation to CU integrating

Mar 8, 2019, 10:44 PM

Was called Ole Main before the 60's

So yes, it is absolutely racist***

Mar 8, 2019, 10:45 PM

Re: Tillman Hall was named such in retaliation to CU integrating

Mar 9, 2019, 7:34 AM [ in reply to Tillman Hall was named such in retaliation to CU integrating ]

Is that your opinion of why Old Main was renamed Tillman or do you have a link to BOT meetings when the name was changed?

That's A Great Story, BUT WRONG!

Mar 9, 2019, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Tillman Hall was named such in retaliation to CU integrating ]

The name change occured in 1946 - just after World War II.

null

You’re an entire generation off. In the 60s Harvey Gantt was

Mar 9, 2019, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Tillman Hall was named such in retaliation to CU integrating ]

... allowed to walk through the doors of Tillman Hall as an enrollee with absolutely no opposition.

By that time, a lot had changed since the building was named after Ben Tillman in 1946.

And things have progressed in a positive direction in the more than half century since Harvey Gantt enrolled in spite of the name on the building.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since you appear to be a student now

Mar 9, 2019, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Tillman Hall was named such in retaliation to CU integrating ]

Is your lack of correct information a student body-wide problem?

Maybe the Student Senate is functioning under false or just wrong information???

null

Mar 9, 2019, 12:25 AM

It's funny to read this thread and see all the white people telling minorities what they should embrace and what they should and shouldn't be offended by.

Mar 9, 2019, 8:07 AM

How do you know they are white people?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2019, 5:21 PM

Seriously? Let those that aren't white stand up and declare it.

You don't want to admit that you can't

Mar 10, 2019, 10:32 PM

actually tell a person's race by a T-Net post? You seemed pretty sure in your first post.

Yeah, absolutely nothing will be changed.

Mar 9, 2019, 1:01 PM

I would highly suggest for those that are SO offended by places like Tillman Hall and the Calhoun Mansion to do better research on the school they plan to attend before actually coming down here? You can yell, whine.. protest.. all you want.not the first time.. wont be the last time. I suppose those who don't like it could always "enter the transfer portal"

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

If we are going to get historic, change it back to its

Mar 9, 2019, 1:04 PM

original name--the Main!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Mar 11, 2019, 1:55 AM

Well, I have to give the OP a little credit (but very little) as he just handed Tillman the most-back-handed compliment known to man. Wow. Just move on dude. Stop acting like a dang brat. I would venture to guess that not a single Black person on the CLEMSON campus was any poorer than I was growing up. My mom and dad still owed on my first 2.5 years of my college when they passed, and I was the first in my entire family history to go to college. Just work hard and stop beeching about every dang thing. Move on or move out.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic