Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
David Hood - as far as the Wrestling petition goes...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,519

David Hood - as far as the Wrestling petition goes...

Mar 6, 2020, 10:09 AM

It my understanding that the effort truly centers on establishing a Women’s Collegiate program which would mitigate any T9 issues.

The real issue is obviously $!!

Now that girls wrestling is about to be officially sanctioned in the state of S.C., this issue is NOT going away and the AD is going to continuously have to answer to why Women’s Softball was ok to bring in with a heft price tag (well over $12 million for the stadium alone) not to mention annual costs to run (way more than wrestling).

But then turn around and say young South Carolinians, especially girls, will have to leave the state if they choose to compete at the highest level...

The ACC would be the logical choice based on the current trajectory and success of the 6 men’s programs. With T9 not being an issue now that Women’s collegiate Wrestling is now being mainstreamed and legitimized...will be tough to defend.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: David Hood - as far as the Wrestling petition goes...

Mar 6, 2020, 10:47 AM

As you said, money is the real issue.

Softball has become a nationally televised sport.

Yes it required an upfront investment much larger than starting men's and women's wrestling, but softball will make much more money for the university in the long run based on the increasing figures with the tv contracts.

I don't know what the athletic department will do in response to this petition, but if they bring back men's wrestling and start women's wrestling it would essentially be just to provide opportunities for young people to participate. It doesn't appear that it would have any sort of significant financial impact on the university's athletic department as a gain or loss.

Mar 6, 2020, 10:54 AM

It would definitely be a revenue loss for the university. The travel, trainers, coaches, staff and other things costs dollars for a sport that bring in very little if any revenue. Wrestling is an interesting sport, it is also an Olympic sport and would be great to have but there is only so much money and in the big picture what sport funds all of the others? Football, you can get to the point of all these sports sound great but at some point it will take dollars away from your cash cow and then that product drops and then there is less money to go around.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2020, 11:14 AM

In addition to what you mentioned, probably need a state of the art practice facility with coaches offices, lounge and weight room with associated staff, not to forget nutrition staff. Would also need a recruiting budget since to be competitive the scope would need to include several states. Doubt more than a few recruits would come from SC. So overall the program would likely have negligible impact on participants wanting to attend from the state. Would no doubt require increases in IPTAY giving, which is now pretty much a given just to support the existing programs.

Message was edited by: BerlinSPY73®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Mar 6, 2020, 11:28 AM

How much money has our Softball team brought into the home games so far this season. If they keep winning close to the level they are now, they will pay for the stadium cost in a short while!!! Give me Ladies softball over any wrestling, mens or womens, any day!!! Collegiate wrestling to me personally, is almost like watching paint to dry:)

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great discussion...BUT...

Mar 6, 2020, 11:53 AM

Like it or not, gate revenue included, Softball will join the rest of the Clemson sports mix outside of Football that is revenue neutral AT BEST! Probably will run at a deficit. And, yes...sadly that includes Men’s Basketball too. Sorry, but Women’s Softball will cost WAY more than what revenue we receive. I’d eat my Hat and be happy if I’m wrong.

As far as the TV contract Is concerned...content is important on the ACCN. If you’ve been watching, Mena Wrestling has been covered pretty extensively and is gaining larger and larger crowds (3000-4000 per match) since the conference has expanded with Pitt.

Wrestling just makes sense...it’s very inexpensive to fliers high quality programs so opportunities for championships have a high ROI.

Softball? Not as much...crowded field with more teams and less opportunities for championships. Remember, Wrestling gave Clemson her 1st Nat’l championship with Noel Logan back in 1980...before the Football natty.

Furthermore, the facilities are already in place. That’s the beauty of it. No need to build a brand new facility since Jersey is perfect for accommodating the programs.

Look, Clemson SHOULD have a Womens Softball program...

Mar 6, 2020, 12:04 PM

Probably should have had one a looong time ago. No argument there...

The issue is really about whether Clemson will see the value and positive Branding that will clearly go with being an “early adopter” of Women’s Collegiate Wrestling or not!

Those 20,000 plus signers of that petition are potential donors to a program that many may have no other connection to Clemson prior.

Understanding this fan base is important because they are an incredibly “can do” type of crowd who would rally behind a cause. It would be great and refreshing to have them as part of the Clemson family and give our current fan base an opportunity it’s to expand their horizons.

Collegiate Wrestling...once embraced and understood, is one of the most exciting and difficult sports a spectator can watch and appreciate. It is gaining popularity and coverage everywhere...

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,519
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic