Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Inside Boston College: Etienne's name explained, Hokies haven't been tested
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

New Story: Inside Boston College: Etienne's name explained, Hokies haven't been tested

Sep 25, 2017, 7:56 AM

Inside Boston College: Etienne's name explained, Hokies haven't been tested

Who’s ready for a trip up the mountain? Me, that’s who. What's the latest from postgame interviews, and what will be the difference when Clemson visits Virginia Tech this weekend? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great article, but I have to disagree on the crowd

Sep 25, 2017, 9:09 AM

I'm sorry, but attributing the sorry showing by the students and crowd in general to "unease settling into the stadium" does not excuse them. A low-scoring game that is tied late should not create unease that apparently causes you to leave the stadium or boo the play-calling, it should call you to scream louder and push the team over the hump.

I have been to every home game for 10 years and went to over half the away games over that span and I promise you, had the game been tied 31-31 instead of 7-7 going into the 4th, the crowd would have been completely different. You are spoiled if you expect 40 points every game. When that doesn't happen against a team like BC before the 4th quarter, the team NEEDS YOUR HELP, they do not need you to pitch a hissy fit about it and go back to your tailgate or dorm.

If you were there, I'm not talking to you. If you had to take reprieve from the heat, I'm not talking to you. It was definitely hot. But I've seen better showings with higher temperatures.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great article, but I have to disagree on the crowd

Sep 25, 2017, 9:24 AM

^^^^^^^ What he said!
I said something similar yesterday. You gotta BELIEVE! Positive support is what the team needs when they have a slow start. Let the game plan work out. I did go one step further to say if you are going to boo our Tigers just stay home. And all the whining I heard after that post hasn't changed my opinion one bit. I have been going to games since 1980 and I don't think I've ever seen the students bail out like I did Saturday with the exception of holiday weekends or something like that when they just were not on campus. We expect the players and coaches to be ALL IN. No different for the fans. GO TIGERS!!!!

Sep 25, 2017, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Great article, but I have to disagree on the crowd ]

100% agree with this!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you talking to me?

Sep 25, 2017, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Great article, but I have to disagree on the crowd ]

nah, I was yelling for the whole game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: you talking to me?

Sep 25, 2017, 10:47 AM

The other thing I said yesterday was my post was directed at a very small group of fans I heard booing and calling for Kelly to be pulled on Saturday. Overall Tiger fans are the BEST!!

Different for students and fans that pay for their tickets

Sep 25, 2017, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Great article, but I have to disagree on the crowd ]

While agree 100% with the sentiment of your post and the explanation and encouragement to the fans is spot on, those that pay for their tickets and demand/expect high octane offense every game have a right to boo and leave if it's not meeting their expectations. If they were going to choose one of the other, I would hope they would just leave, though, instead of booing.

The BIG difference, though, is the student tickets as part of their student activity fees. A good case could be made that, while they pay a lot of money for tuition, they are getting quite a good deal on the value of their season tickets for the activity fee they pay. For many, the location in the stadium makes the value that much higher. The least that should be demanded of them in return is that they stay the entire game, whether it is close (low scoring or high scoring) or a blowout. Cheering loud would be great, too, but to leave and not return at any point should put their future tickets at risk, unless there was a good reason.

Re: Different for students and fans that pay for their tickets

Sep 25, 2017, 3:05 PM

First, just because you paid for a ticket does not mean you always get to see the team do one thing or the other as there is another team there trying to win as well. You cannot "demand" that they do anything as you are assuming the risk that the team could lose, even though you have paid for the ticket.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure the tickets aren't part of the students activity fee, or if it is then it is a very small portion. The Activity Fee is $40 and supports over 300 student organizations and campus activities. That would be a very very small percentage to pay for tickets.

Sep 25, 2017, 3:30 PM

Students don't pay anything extra for their tickets. I believe Clemson is the only school in the power 5 conferences where this is the case. The students on the Hill and SE corner of the stadium are a big part of our tradition and help make Death Valley one of the greatest venues in college football. This is why it is painful for many of us to see the students bail the way they did Saturday. GO TIGERS. ALL IN!!!!

Sep 25, 2017, 4:28 PM

I agree, just see a few people saying that's part of their $40 Activity Fee, which is not the case and also not a lot of money for a chance at a football ticket.

Sep 25, 2017, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Different for students and fans that pay for their tickets ]

Funny - I also said yesterday that I don't want to hear any whining from students the next time the Administration brings up the possibility of charging students for tickets. Don't get me wrong I am proud of the fact that Clemson is the only school in the power 5 conferences where students don't have to pay extra for their tickets but they should show up and positively support the team. I was a student when we won the championship in '81 and wild horses couldn't have kept me away from a game and today I never miss the run down the hill or the final gun regardless of score or opponent.

Sep 25, 2017, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Great article, but I have to disagree on the crowd ]

Ditto. These are great coaches and great players. Finding a way to win has been and will continue to be a characteristic of all great teams and especially of these Tigers. Have faith. Be assured that if the team isn't playing so well it has something to do with the opponent, and more so than something the Tigers aren't doing right. Times like this they need fans the most.

Re: New Story: Inside Boston College: Etienne's name explained, Hokies haven't been tested

Sep 25, 2017, 9:46 AM

WVU was a dang good team and it could help them that they played cupcakes after to stay healthy. We will see. I think we win and the game on the road at UL will have helped a lot.

Re: New Story: Inside Boston College: Etienne's name explained, Hokies haven't been tested

Sep 25, 2017, 9:25 AM

I don't disagree that WVU is a dangerous opponent, and I think they will have a say in who wins the Big 12, but playing them game 1 was definitely a help for VT, and vice versa. Game 1 can make a pretty good team look average, look no further than the wulfies vs the chickens. Does anyone here believe SC should have won that game? But other than the TE/FB for NCSU, no one could catch a ball. If they played tomorrow I would like them to win by 30. With WVU, they may still lose, as I think VT is darn good this year, but I like WVU chances a lot better.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2017, 12:27 PM

Totally disagree...WVU is a decent team, they just let an AWFUL Kansas team put 35 on them; and let's be honest, WVU is levels below us in talent, probably not even on USuC's talent level. They play in the 7 on 7 Big12, and I bet they finish around .500 in the Big12 this year.

VT is going to be a tough game, but mostly because the environment and their kids and crowd are going to be rocking...as long as we play our game, don't make a bunch of mistakes turning the ball over, etc. We should handle them like we did L'ville, and should have in the ACC title game...that was another one of our late season games where we were letting teams come back on us after we'd gotten a huge lead. If this team has learned to close and not let up, we should pound them.

Sep 26, 2017, 9:47 AM

This! Pedal to the metal all game long, and there will be no more "slip ups" like Pitt last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2017, 9:18 AM

You're right, the Hokes haven't been tested nor seen an O or D anything line the Tigers. I think they'll be forced to throw to move the ball, which plays into our front 7 for sacs. I don't think this one will be that close black if we protect the ball.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2017, 9:18 AM

Thanks for the official name pronunciation David, I had seen and heard several different ones. Also dead on about the line play. Yes, it still could have been better, but it wasn't as bad as some have been thinking. I think they have been as a whole decent thus far, about a B- with room to grow, they can and will get better through the season. Same with KB, as I think he has left yards on the table in the read option, and needs to work on his release, but so far I'm very happy with what he has done so far, and I think he has come through a lot better than most of us thought back in August. Go Tigers!

I thought one of the biggest issues was the release time...

Sep 25, 2017, 10:12 AM

Thought that was the case live, and still do after re-watching.

Seems like he's taking too much of a wind-up.

Re: I thought one of the biggest issues was the release time...

Sep 25, 2017, 11:21 AM

Or just waiting too long before he makes a decision. He will get better with more experience.

More like "Same car, different engine

Sep 25, 2017, 10:34 AM

different steering, different tires."

Re: More like "Same car, different engine

Sep 25, 2017, 12:46 PM

...an added tank of NOS for use at the end??

Remember when Virginia Tech was a laugh

Sep 25, 2017, 10:57 AM

Times, they have a changed, but I remember what a joke Virginia Tech was during the '81 Championship era when I was on campus. We had Friday night pep rallies held in the amphitheater, sometimes led by Clemson's Shawn Weatherly, Miss USA, Miss Universe, and we still got really fired up for the game. The offense had much more of a run game then which would wear down a defense but not all the flash-bang of today's offense. That style of offense was consistent, if not as explosive, in moving the ball against defenses even in gimmie games where the other side was determined, so we didn't see any slack effort games I can remember. Our Defense was brutal and smothering on every play so there was no let down there. Well today is a new ACC and a much different VT. Everybody comes at us full blast so we need to really get fired up for every game as we did then. Stay amped - Go Tigers!

Sep 25, 2017, 2:51 PM

I wasn't at the BC game and have not seen it on TV (we're in Europe), so all I know is what I'm reading in T'net. I live in VA and typically go to at least 1 VA Tech game every year, and I can guarantee you that the Hokies will be stoked for this game. And with a late start some of them will be really lit up. But I can assure you their students won't leave early and I'd be really surprised if there are any boo birds in attendance. They think we got some home cooking in the ACC Championship game and will be looking to make amends. I hope the Tigers show up in force and help our guys know they are supported, win or lose. Booing our Tigers is just inexcusable, i don't care how much was paid for a ticket. If you want to boo a football team go to Charlotte and have at it with the Panthers or their opponents. Those guys are paid not to make mistakes.
Go Tigers.

Sep 25, 2017, 3:22 PM

I don't recall issues of home cookin' in the ACCCG. I just recall thinking we were gonna fold when we got down. I never thought we'd be able to come back and make a game of it quite honestly.

That's the thing about college football. No matter the disparity in talent sometimes, we're still talking about young adults in college (not professionals) playing football. The ebbs and flows of a game can swing wildly in both directions on a big play etc.

I think most VT fans have cautious optimism. Deep down I don't think we have the horses to win this game, but, stranger things have happened. We don't have the depth needed to be as consistent as we need to be for the entire 60 minutes. It comes down to a matter of the offense putting together enough drives to give our fairly thin defense a rest. And then capitalizing of some possible mistakes you all may make.

We're only a little over a year removed from Frank's tenure as coach so the recruiting misses we've had the last 3 years or so of his career are rearing their ugly heads right now and possibly into next year.

I like where are right now considering the coaching change (ahead of schedule IMO) and look forward to where we're going.

Sep 25, 2017, 3:57 PM

Thx for the Hokie insight. The Hokie's will come ready. THe Tiger's have shown time and time again they can meet adversity, be it turnovers, give a long play, or poor play for a time. It should be a great game.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2017, 11:04 PM

Weather-wise, this first half of September, particularly first ten days, was more of a "False Autumn," so to speak, with the cool snap. However, in the latter part of the month, as mentioned in the article, we've still had some Summer left to go. ;)
The start of this past August had a similar cool shot, but in mid month, it got hotter w/ almost ten straight days of low-mid 90's & humid. It was mentioned that the players practiced some during Fall Camp in Jervey Meadows over this stretch. I think that paid dividends well as far as conditioning.
Normally, early September has several hot & steamy days. I've been to a couple games & tailgates on them before including the Troy game last year.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic