Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Grading the Clemson sports programs, 2015-16...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,559

Grading the Clemson sports programs, 2015-16...

Jun 6, 2016, 9:48 AM

Well, as Dark Territory is upon us, I offer this minimally-thought-out assessment of the various programs at Clemson for your review/discussion/amusement…I’m no T_I_P, so my knowledge of the non-revenue sports is…sub-optimal.

The Great:

Football – A+
You can't ask for much more than this. ACC Champs, undefeated season, and a HECK of a national championship effort…all while running a program the right way.

Men’s Soccer – A+
No ACC championship, but 6-1-1 in conference, runner up in NCAA national championship. This program is back and the future looks bright with Coach Noonan.

Baseball – A
Disappointing regional but ACC Champs and 43 wins probably goes above and beyond any reasonable expectation. The future looks bright.

Men’s Golf – A
ACC Champs and trip to the national championship. A+ would have been given if they had made the cut, which they just missed by the tie breaker. What can I say? They suffer from their previous success.

The Good:

Women’s Soccer – B+
7-3 in a tough conference, “Round of 32” exit from the tournament. Finished ranked 7th in the country (should maybe be an A with that high of a ranking?)

The Average:

Men’s Basketball – C+
Well, this should get some feedback. A lot of frustration with not making ANY post-season, but 10-8 in the conference with a record amount of wins over ranked opponents. A lot of positives. CBB needs to figure out how to get his team playing better in December!

Women’s Track (Indoor and Outdoor) – C+
2nd in the ACC in Indoor, 3rd in Outdoor, but unranked. This program was killing it a couple years ago.

Women’s Golf – C
Middle of the Pack ACC team right now. I feel like this is a sport we should excel at, given our success in Men’s golf, our beautiful on-campus course and our weather. Still early in the program’s life, I suppose.

Men’s Track – C
2nd in the ACC in Indoor but only 7th in Outdoor, and unranked. Man, we used to have fantastic sprinters every year.

Women’s Tennis – C
6th in the ACC, but this is one of the rare non-revenue sports that the ACC isn't super-strong in. Unranked.

Men’s Tennis – C-
9th in the ACC, unranked.

The Bad:

Men’s and Women’s Cross Country – D
11th and 10th in the conference, respectively. Unranked and one runner between both programs in the top 20 in the ACC championship. I can't remember ever competing for the top in this sport.

Women’s Rowing – D
6th out of 9 in the ACC, unranked. I don't get this one. Does anyone else remember TDP spending millions on the facility for this program? We have a beautiful lake right next to campus. We almost always host the conference championship event. A few years ago we had a top 10 program. But now this. We should be dominant in this sport...too many advantages...plus it would be fun to dominate the UVA's of the world in a blue blood sport.

The Ugly:

Women’s Basketball – F
0-16 in conference play. Nothing really to say. This one has been awful for years. The coaching hires are as frequent as they are confusing. Legacies transferring to Auburn.

Women’s Volleyball – F
1-19 in conference play. 6-26 overall. Failure by any metric. Not sure what happened to this program that was at least competitive if not solid just a few years ago.

Women’s Diving – F
Dead last…which makes sense since we ONLY dive (we don't swim). They don’t score it separately, so as a team we’ll pretty much always be last. It’s like fielding a football team but only playing for field goals. I'm not sure why we discontinued Men's swimming and diving but JUST discontinued women's swimming. The best finish for a Clemson diver was 6th in the ACC.

Overall things look pretty good. The programs that Clemson has taken the most pride in are back on top (football, baseball, soccer, golf). As always, there’s room for improvement. In the non-revenue world, I’m hoping to see continued success with the women’s soccer program, and I really think the women’s golf and rowing programs have the ingredients to compete.
So…there you go. Discuss!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Grading the Clemson sports programs, 2015-16...

Jun 6, 2016, 9:53 AM

I think we should eliminate several of those women sports and add softball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Title IX thinks otherwise.***

Jun 6, 2016, 9:56 AM

Title IX has nothing to do with it, poster said drop one and

Jun 6, 2016, 10:15 AM

replace with another, net wash trade 1 wimmenz sport for another

I've never understood this board's interest in softball,

Jun 6, 2016, 10:29 AM

but thinking through it now...we have 14 girls on the Diving roster and a softball roster will be about 18-20? No doubt Softball would be more expensive, but at least it gets some television interest. The Softball CWS is a nice event. Seems like it would be a better use of Clemson's limited resources. Seriously, does ANYONE go to watch us JUST dive in competitions? According to ClemsonTigers.com, we hosted two events on campus this year.

I'm not in favor of cancelling any other sports.

null

He said drop several and add softball. We can drop several

Jun 6, 2016, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Title IX has nothing to do with it, poster said drop one and ]

but we would have to add back the same number, or else ditch some mens sports to compensate.

Jun 6, 2016, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Grading the Clemson sports programs, 2015-16... ]

Agree! Basketball hasn't been good for years and volleyball with 1 conference win?? What are we doing? There is talent in the upstate with volleyball though.

Jun 6, 2016, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Grading the Clemson sports programs, 2015-16... ]

Add softball and men's lacrosse.

Jun 6, 2016, 9:55 AM

I like your grades. I am most disappointed with the Mens Track team. They are never covered in
any reports as a team and never even have a home meet in 2 years. The coach should be
doing better--poor recruiting

Jun 6, 2016, 10:18 AM

Drop women's diving and add softball. Women's basketball?? gotta find a real coach. Surely there is someone out there who can coach and recruit.

Solid, I think Men's BBall will go up for next year.

Jun 6, 2016, 10:29 AM

I think we'll make tournament and be top 5 in ACC. Every sport below that is just pitiful.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,559
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic