Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gotta nut problem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Gotta nut problem

Jul 23, 2019, 7:09 PM

So I have a brand new kitchen faucet. I bought it because it looked like it was high-quality, got great reviews, and was cheap. It came with its own water supply lines. What is odd, is that one side of each supply line is a male end. You can’t find these supply lines in the store. Once you insert the supply line inside the faucet housing, you can no longer reach the nut to tighten the supply line. It is an incredibly tight space and the nut is about 2 inches inside the housing. A basin wrench will not work. Any plumbers out there?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don't mess with plumbing...

Jul 23, 2019, 7:14 PM

or garage doors around here.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bunch of savages...

Jul 23, 2019, 7:17 PM

Seriously, I’m having trouble with my garage door too. Is this some sort of conspiracy?

start by waxing your nuts***

Jul 23, 2019, 7:16 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to picture what you are describing, but I have had a

Jul 23, 2019, 7:31 PM

glass of wine.

But it does not look like this I assume.

Not a plumber but have done my share of back breaking faucet replacements.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hard to picture what you are describing, but I have had a

Jul 23, 2019, 8:00 PM

The nut portion of the water supply goes up inside the base of the faucet which is no bigger than maybe 1.5-2” in diameter. Plus it’s about an inch deep in the housing...a basin wrench is too fat to reach inside. I almost need a very small open ended wrench whose end is bent at 90 degrees....not even sure that’d work.

Had an issue like that with the kitchen faucet

Jul 23, 2019, 8:06 PM

had to use needle nose pliers and a #### ton of cuss words to get it tight

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Had an issue like that with the kitchen faucet

Jul 23, 2019, 8:12 PM

That may have to do. They’re braided supply lines so I tried to just torque the supply line as much as possible and have it screw itself in...not very confident in that alone though.

And I assumed you check the reviews to be sure this issue

Jul 23, 2019, 7:38 PM

was not already discussed or solved. Got a link for the type of faucet? I am bored.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And I assumed you check the reviews to be sure this issue

Jul 23, 2019, 8:03 PM

I did. One made mention of odd supply lines but overwhelming everyone said great product and easy to install. I wrote my own review pointing out how this product is NOT easily installed and my review has yet to be posted. I don’t trust Amazon reviews anymore.

Link to faucet.

Jul 23, 2019, 8:17 PM [ in reply to And I assumed you check the reviews to be sure this issue ]

https://www.amazon.com/OWOFAN-Lead-Free-Commercial-Sprayer-Kitchen/dp/B07D8F5NC

Don't you connect the lines to your water

Jul 23, 2019, 8:40 PM

before you connect the given lines to the faucet? Seems like I had that on one at my son's house.

Re: Don't you connect the lines to your water

Jul 23, 2019, 11:47 PM

I don’t think so...that’d be virtually impossible in my case. I attach the water line to my faucet, then feed the lines through my counter and tighten the large nut that secures the faucet to the counter. Then all I have to do is connect to the water supply.

If I connected to the supply first, I’d have to reach under the sink in a very awkward position to attach an already difficult to attach water line to the faucet.

The faucet was cheap because you need to buy

Jul 23, 2019, 7:39 PM

an expensive proprietary tool to wrench your nuts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Maybe it's just me...and perhaps I'm just a wimp...

Jul 23, 2019, 8:06 PM

But wrenching nuts sounds incredibly painful!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The faucet was cheap because you need to buy

Jul 23, 2019, 8:08 PM [ in reply to The faucet was cheap because you need to buy ]

Maybe...they cleverly advertised it in a way that that wasn’t very apparent. When they showed a pic of the supplied water lines, it showed the 3/8th end only that attaches to the supply valve.

Attach the supply lines to the faucet

Jul 24, 2019, 7:07 AM

prior to installing the faucet to the sink.
I learned this by watching a plumber.

Sounds like you need a modified basin wrench

Jul 24, 2019, 9:03 AM

Would this do the trick?

(8-in-1) faucet and sink installer,multi-purpose wrench plumbing tool for Toilet Bowl/Sink/Bathroom/Kitchen Plumbing and more (red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MSBY2S6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ryfoDbMQEF0MW

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds like you need a modified basin wrench

Jul 24, 2019, 11:15 AM

That’s probably the best bet so far. The only other issue is the two supply lines are nearly touching under the faucet. Any girth to the tool may prevent it from tightening the second line after the first is installed.

henry has 1 of those,great tool

Jul 24, 2019, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Sounds like you need a modified basin wrench ]

even if i only used it once

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re talking about a different kind of plumbing***

Jul 24, 2019, 3:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What size is the nut in question? (lulz)

Jul 24, 2019, 12:12 PM

Or are you talking about the flat flange that holds the fixture in place?

Re: What size is the nut in question? (lulz)

Jul 24, 2019, 12:59 PM

The male end of the water supply...not sure the size. The nut portion is a part of the line itself, if that makes any sense.

Jul 24, 2019, 1:04 PM

Pigs would probably help. If it's what i'm picturing, you may need something like an open sided socket that allows the line to lay inside the socket body and the socket slides over the nut. But you will need a size.

Jul 24, 2019, 1:11 PM

Refer to pic below. That’s EXACTLY what I thought of...an open ended socket! I even thought of taking a grinder to one if I couldn’t find it.

Jul 24, 2019, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: What size is the nut in question? (lulz) ]

I think this a a pic of the water line. This goes up inside the base of that faucet housing.

https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional/bathroom-sink-and-faucet-parts/?productId=52644989&redirect=-1&m_refid=PLA_HZ_52644989_1587196727&device=m&nw=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg_yhpobO4wIVD1YMCh1nvgwNEAQYASABEgJIBvD_BwE

Jul 24, 2019, 1:32 PM

That picture worked. That Amazon link doesn't work anymore, FYI.

The open sided sockets are probably sold in a set only, but you might be able to borrow one from an auto parts place that does loaner tools.

Slightly cheaper option would be a crowfoot wrench set, if there is room to get in there with it. It's basically just the open head of a combination wrench (no bar or closed end) with a 3/8" or 1/2" square hole to put a socket wrench or extension through.

Jul 24, 2019, 1:39 PM

Can you see this link? Is this what you were thinking? This just might work...

https://www.amazon.com/12pt-L-Type-Ended-Wrench-Socket/dp/B0031EKMAK

Jul 24, 2019, 1:49 PM

Yes, similar to that.

Tickle_It works for a faucet manufacturer

Jul 24, 2019, 12:18 PM

Tell me what brand/model it is so I can look it up. Butt most likely you gots to have some sort of nut/bonnet on the faucet housing that tightens it up. That's how we do ours. The male part goes in (lolutz) and then you tighten that nut or bonnet down from the outside.

Anyways, pigs would halp.

Link to faucet

Jul 24, 2019, 1:05 PM

https://www.amazon.com/OWOFAN-Lead-Free-Commercial-Sprayer-Kitchen/dp/B07D8F5NC

This is a pic that kinda shows the base. I’m not at my house at the moment...otherwise I’d take one myself. The hole at the base, the male end of the water line goes inside the faucet, and then puts the nut out of reach for any traditional tool to turn.

Hmm. Usually there's a mixing valve with it.

Jul 24, 2019, 2:01 PM

See the attached pig. I found the faucet on Amazon that has more pigs and it doesn't look like it has one, unless it's in the body of the faucet.

If it is, I would suggest looping the flex lines through the brass threading and outter nut before connecting them to the base of the faucet so you'll have more room to screw them in. They can probably start by hand but to get them tighter, you might need to get a plumbers wrench or what I used was some needle nosed plyers to get up in there to screw some of them in. It shouldn't be that hard to get to them but you may only be able to turn them like quarter turn at a time. DON'T FORGET THE DADGUM PLUMBERS TAPE TOO (I learned that the leaky hard way).

Most of them should come with instruction manuals that may help (if they have good pictures).

###### tickle_it, you forgot to attach the pig

Jul 24, 2019, 2:03 PM
faucet.png(75.7 K)

hear's what a mixing valve usually looks like.

Re: ###### tickle_it, you forgot to attach the pig

Jul 24, 2019, 2:08 PM

I think it’s built in to the base. I may have to try needle nose pliers or my own homemade open ended socket. I’ll have to have a bucket ready for the grand opening...

On 2nd thought, we also have single hole sink ones like

Jul 24, 2019, 2:17 PM

this. They are also in the body. Our instruction manuals say to insert the flex lines and tighten by hand. I would still try to get it a lil extra snug with the needle nosers but that's just me.

Re: On 2nd thought, we also have single hole sink ones like

Jul 24, 2019, 2:39 PM

See, those lines are nicely designed. The nut portion of the supply line extends, purposefully, beyond the faucet housing. There’s an elongated stem that pushes that nut out into the open. It’d be easy to tighten that line with a variety of wrenches. The ones I have, the nut portion is all the way at the distal end of the supply line putting them out of reach of ordinary household tools and deep inside the faucet housing. I think a shamecock designed these things...

Your link continues to show a dog and says "sorry can't find

Jul 24, 2019, 2:48 PM

that page" - is this the faucet? Still seems like you have to attach those hoses to your water before you attach them to the faucet.

https://www.amazon.com/OWOFAN-Lead-Free-Commercial-Sprayer-Kitchen/dp/B07R8KNPL1/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=owofan+lead+free+commercial+sprayer+kitchen&qid=1563993686&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Re: Your link continues to show a dog and says "sorry can't find

Jul 24, 2019, 3:05 PM

That’s strange...it works for me. But yes, that is the model faucet.

The main reason I believe it must go on to the faucet first is the male end of the supply is not free spinning. It is stationary and attached to the water line. The other end, the female end that attaches to the supply has a free spinning nut. If I attached the female end to the supply first, there’d be no way to spin the male supply end into the faucet. The rigidity of the braided steel line would prevent it from turning.

By attaching to the faucet first, I’d just have to feed the attached supply lines through the counter opening, then attach it to the supply with the line’s free spinning nut (which prevents the line from spinning on itself).

Can you get longer hoses like these? (not sure the length)

Jul 24, 2019, 4:14 PM

https://www.amazon.ca/Stainless-Length-Single-Faucet-Connector/dp/B07MCYKBXC/ref=sr_1_23?keywords=single+faucet+water+hose+connectors&qid=1563999000&s=gateway&sr=8-23

DEFINITELY ATTACHED FLEX LINES TO FAUCET BODY FOIST

Jul 24, 2019, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Your link continues to show a dog and says "sorry can't find ]

Attaching it to the water supply is easy and those have nuts you can tighten.

So, is it possible to attach those before you attach

Jul 24, 2019, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Your link continues to show a dog and says "sorry can't find ]

the faucet to the sink?

God that thing must be a cluster.

If it won't go in by lining it up and pushing it up in the

Jul 24, 2019, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: On 2nd thought, we also have single hole sink ones like ]

faucet body and then twisting the flex line in order to screw it in, I'd call the POS manufacturer and ask them exactly how in the Hell you're supposed to do it.

Other choices would be to ditch that faucet and purchase a supremely built, industry leading quality commercial pre-rinse unit that substantially lacks aesthetics but will last longer than your house.

And is (somewhat) happily (partially) made by rednecks in the upstate of SC.

this is why i only buy name brand fawsits

Jul 24, 2019, 12:39 PM

If the male end is plastic i would return that shid. You'll end up with a $30,000 problem.

Re: this is why i only buy name brand fawsits

Jul 24, 2019, 1:09 PM

It’s all metal and the lines are braided steel. Like other reviews (most of them) stated, it looks quality...just poorly engineered. I’ve just installed three sinks in my house...all a piece of cake compared to this.

I gotta nut problem too

Jul 24, 2019, 2:11 PM

Been having pain for over 3 years now.

Speaking to your situation.....I had the same issue when I bought a faucet. I returned it and bought something that worked.

Re: I gotta nut problem too

Jul 24, 2019, 3:09 PM

May ultimately come to that...but I’m pretty stubborn

Can the faucet be taken apart?

Jul 24, 2019, 3:15 PM

The only solution I can imagine is pipe tape on the male end inside the faucet and try to snug the linenut using a long tip, needle nose pliers.

I know tools fairly well but can't imagine a tool which would do what you described. I might figure on calling the manufacture's tech line or seeing the plumbing pro at Lowes or Home Depot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can the faucet be taken apart?

Jul 24, 2019, 3:30 PM

I looked at trying to take it apart but it looks to be a solid body (good I suppose). I’m going to attempt pliers and copious torquing of the braided line...then make an animal sacrifice before turning the water on.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic