Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Got a question for those of you who have followed recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 3,281

Got a question for those of you who have followed recruiting

Jan 27, 2013, 1:58 PM

for a long time. Clemson and South Carolina use to go head to head on about half their class now its maybe one or two players if that what as changed?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HS coach affiliations have become more defined for one.***

Jan 27, 2013, 2:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Got a question for those of you who have followed recruiting

Jan 27, 2013, 2:05 PM

Clemson recruits are smart student athletes vs thugs that will not graduate ! acc academics standards are higher than the sec

its the absolute truth !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2013, 2:09 PM

No its not. Solos is spot on. I think the coach being secure makes high school coaches feel more comfortable. They have also taken over a majority of the state, esp Rock Hill and the lowcountry in terms of top guys.

Two way street. Works for/against both though not always.***

Jan 27, 2013, 2:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep those blinders on chicken***

Jan 27, 2013, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Got a question for those of you who have followed recruiting ]

Jan 27, 2013, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Got a question for those of you who have followed recruiting ]

I count 7 of the 16 HS listed as commits that also had offers from USC. Don't think players from Brooklyn or Hawaii would ever consider USC. Nobody outside of the bordering states really knows anything about it except that Spurrier is now the coach and it's maybe marginally better as a school than the Mississippi duo.

And that's right, some players that SC would/does offer get screened out of Clemson recruiting for grades or other issues.

Jan 27, 2013, 6:17 PM

Those NY & Hawaii players would consider an offer from USC. But not from SCar.

Don't think it has changed THAT much. I count 8 Carolina

Jan 27, 2013, 2:29 PM

commitments who were also offered by clemson.

Re: Re: Got a question for those of you who have followed recruiting

Jan 27, 2013, 2:40 PM

People outside the region don't know about back to back top 10 finishes? These people know more about Boyd than Lattimore? Less about Clowney than they know about whoever is good on Clemson's defense?

Also, which former recruits are you referring to that were screened out by Clemson but not USC? If you can't spare me the "USC made up a learning disability for Clowney" baseless bs, I'll trade you Spiller as an example of Clemson admitting players of questionable intellect (just as baseless as the Clowney claim). The only difference in academic standards have to do with USC accepting JUCO course credits that Clemson does not. I understand the special admit process too...those players still have to meet NCAA standards which are identically imposed as the admissions standards for players of both Clemson and USC.

Actual proof would be nice, but I won't hold my breath.

Re: Re: Got a question for those of you who have followed recruiting

Feb 4, 2013, 7:32 AM

Not true at all as far as admissions go.

The NCAA standards are a "minimum" set. Clemson and many other schools impose somewhat higher standards, often with conflict between admissions and the coaching staff. Clemson had one 2012 signee not gain admission even though the NCAA cleared him, so he went to Marshall this past Fall. In general, they only recruit players that they think will graduate.

Not sure there has been much real change.

Jan 27, 2013, 2:44 PM

S.C. has improved their program so they can compete better for athletes. However, the predominant factor is that most players from S.C. grow up with a preference for either Clemson or S.C. If he's wanted by both schools, the recruit is probably going to the school he has always liked best if he stays in state, although other out of state schools may still have a chance. If he is really open to going to either S.C. or Clemson, those are the battles you hear about. Neither school will waste thier time if they see the hand writing on the wall.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not universally true but character also makes a difference

Jan 27, 2013, 3:06 PM

I think the main criteria at S.C. is athletic ability. I think at Clemson it is also athletic ability but the character of the player is a much bigger factor in Clemson's recruiting than it is at S.C. I don't mean that as a cheap shot at the Gamecocks because they also get some quality, high character kids (e.g. Lattimore). I think it is simply a fact that character is a bigger factor in our recruiting than it is at S.C. But back to my original point, I think Lattimore went to S.C. because he grew up as a fan of S.C. With some kids, Spurrier's history may be a draw, and the SEC is a added factor for some, but largely it is who their favorite in-state school was growing up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not universally true but character also makes a difference

Jan 27, 2013, 3:36 PM

All of you are so full of it!!! "character also makes a difference" What a load. There is not a Div I coach that wouldn't take the first 25 guys on the 247 top players list no questions asked. Get off your hi horse and realize that there is not a clear answer to why any 17 or 18 year old kid picks a school. Being a fan, a pretty girl, a major, a city, a friend, anything could be the answer. This is a stupid thread!

Feb 4, 2013, 7:26 AM

Actually there are a lot of coaches who will pass over a trouble kid, even if he is the top ranked recruit. The trouble you get later if he doesn't straighten up isn't worth what he brings to the field.

If they can read, we recruit 'em; if they can't, USuCk does***

Jan 27, 2013, 4:22 PM

Re: If they can read, we recruit 'em; if they can't, USuCk does***

Jan 27, 2013, 5:47 PM

Who has the lowest wonderlic score ever????

deer cootandproud

Jan 27, 2013, 6:25 PM

vince young or cj spiller i think, doesnt matter really for a running back as much as a qb though.

Also, as much as I dislike trolls, AND COOTS.....props to you for stating your affiliation in your name, which I guess just makes you a coot, not a troll

Re: If they can read, we recruit 'em; if they can't, USuCk does***

Jan 27, 2013, 6:28 PM [ in reply to Re: If they can read, we recruit 'em; if they can't, USuCk does*** ]

Chris Culliver scored a 9 Morris Claiborne scored a 4 and Patrick Peterson scored a 9 Ray Lewis scored an 11 and Vince Young scored a 6 AJ Green scored a 10 and Spiller scored a 10

Jan 27, 2013, 6:49 PM

Instate players tend to decide one or the other early.

Recruiting starts earlier with kids now. HS Coaches, camps,

Jan 27, 2013, 6:51 PM

Junior Days, etc. accelerate the recruiting process so that kids align themselves with Clemson/Carolina earlier. By the time they are seniors, most have made the choice public and are already recruiting other players toward their school.

Another factor is BOTH programs are competing on the national front, not so much in the past.

Feb 4, 2013, 7:54 AM

Jayron Kearse says hi

Feb 4, 2013, 8:59 AM

Huh?

Jayron Kearse

Feb 4, 2013, 9:25 AM

Has been arrested twice. Once for home invasion where he and his cronies held a family at gun point. But Clemson only takes guys with highest of character.

Re: Different recruiting territory strengths between the..

Feb 4, 2013, 10:28 AM

two schools, plus the depth of SC talent as been significantly down recently.

Primary reason is simply that the contacts of the coaches at the two schools are very different.

Replies: 24
| visibility 3,281
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic