Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This game was purely on coaching, and I will spell it out,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

This game was purely on coaching, and I will spell it out,

Jun 2, 2012, 9:05 PM

MORON that I am, and having ZERO baseball coaching experience.

First, we again lost a game due to base running blunders. The most obvious was the interference at 2nd base which I concede was interference. BUT, YOU DO NOT do that with only one out and the bases loaded.I could possibly understand with one out and you were fighting to fend off the double play. I was as bad as the one two weeks ago where, with the bases loaded and one out on a fly ball to the track, our man on first tagged up, even though he could have stayed at first, and took off to second only to be thrown out before our man on 3rd could cross home.

Second base running error, with men on first and second, and a ground ball to the shortstop who was on the grass, our guy on second waited to see if the ball got through before taking off for third. Got thrown out at third.

Third, see Second above.

Fourth, although dead against it, I understood the decision to bunt in the 11th I think with a man on first, who had just been walked, BUT NOT AFTER the count got to 2-0. Good grief, make'em throw strikes.

Fifth, bases loaded, two outs, they just walked a guy to load the bases, 1-0 count and we swing away. Tell him to take it. Make'em throw a strike.

Sixth, Watch two balls down the middle of the plate, swing at a ball in the dirt. Over and over.

Seventh,when Firth came in , I called a buddy and said,"I thought Brady was good to go". I mean, six outs needed with a 2 run lead. Go for the throat. Then Meyer comes in. My buddy calls back and says," I guess Brady is not ready". Then, Brady comes in, but too little too late.

Eigth, and correct me if I am wrong, but on the 2 run homer to Matthews, was that a two strike fastball inside? Reminded me of last week when we threw three straight inside to the GT slugger who hammered all three pitches with the first two foul,but the last one a two run homer.

Finally, those are obvious things that even Spud sees. What are the finer things that are costing us too. This game, CLEARLY, was on the coaches. IMHO.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, it is easy to play the game after it is over.

Jun 2, 2012, 9:16 PM

Jack calls a pretty good game but he is expecting too much out of players that
can't seem to get over the top. You have to put that blame a his feet. He recruited them. All in all, i think this team has overachieved. We had better hope that they over achieve, more, next year.

Re: Well, it is easy to play the game after it is over.

Jun 2, 2012, 9:17 PM

I don't question Firth coming in. What I question is Meyer over Brady? WTH?

Not bringing Brady was the real deunce move.***

Jun 2, 2012, 9:18 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree with some of that

Jun 2, 2012, 9:25 PM

First of all you should always try to break up the double play. When doing so you need to do a hard, clean slide. Obviously he wasn't trying to interfere.

As for the bunting, a 2-0 count is a good count to bunt on. Most likely you're gonna get an easy strike down the middle to put the bat on. If it's a ball you pull back. You don't want to give the pitcher strikes when you're trying to sacrifice.

As for our approach batting. A lot goes into hitting than just what the count is. They have a game plan for Roth, they're looking for tendencies, they may be sitting on certain pitches. Obviously we're not going to know a lot we're trying to do, but keep in mind a lot goes into abs.

Roth and Price are very good pitchers. They get ahead in counts and we get in trouble. I thought we did fairly well against their staff today. We faced great pitching, the game played out a lot like most thought. We had plenty of chances, we were right there, and we fell short.

I still think we can win this though. We're good enough to do it. We don't go 12 innings and lose if we're not good. Can't wait for tomorrow!

What are you looking at. He reached out with his left arm. I

Jun 2, 2012, 9:29 PM

do think it was BS to call it as it in no way affected the run at home. There is no way they could have gotten a triple play. But, he did reach out with his left arm.

I'm not saying the call was wrong, I'm saying the runner

Jun 2, 2012, 9:31 PM

just botched what he was trying to do. I don't think he thought he'd interfere with what he was doing.

I do think it was bs to call interference though

Jun 2, 2012, 9:33 PM

It's like a ref throwing a pass interference flag on the defense after the ball was caught by the receiver. The play itself was not affected.

More like when they called that unnecessary roughness on

Jun 2, 2012, 9:38 PM

James Davis for knocking a guy on his butt that was about ten yards behind Jacoby when he scored at NC State I think.

Exactly***

Jun 2, 2012, 9:50 PM

Re: Poor base running . You don't take pts off the board.***

Jun 2, 2012, 9:31 PM [ in reply to What are you looking at. He reached out with his left arm. I ]

Re: What are you looking at. He reached out with his left arm. I

Jun 2, 2012, 9:34 PM [ in reply to What are you looking at. He reached out with his left arm. I ]

the penalty sucks.. think is way too harsh but, it was pretty obvious interference.

re; Roth and Price are very good. Roth gets you to hit a

Jun 2, 2012, 9:30 PM [ in reply to I disagree with some of that ]

lot of ground balls. Today, was not one of his better days. The Gossett kid is good one. I wish that we had more like him.

You are exactly right. Ross was beatable today and we let it

Jun 2, 2012, 9:32 PM

get away.

Roth.***

Gossett pitched a hell of a game

Jun 2, 2012, 9:33 PM [ in reply to re; Roth and Price are very good. Roth gets you to hit a ]

How is it that his ERA is 4 plus?

Re: You can't knock a freshman who pitched like he has the

Jun 2, 2012, 9:39 PM

last two or three games.

Must be from that first outing where he got shelled I think.

Jun 2, 2012, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Gossett pitched a hell of a game ]

He looked terrific today.

I don't see how we possibly win it now. Our pitching is

Jun 2, 2012, 9:31 PM [ in reply to I disagree with some of that ]

gone. Leone would have to go 9. Then a thunder storm would have to rain out the night game. We would have to win Monday, and then have the next game rained out, but it is possible.

Re: There is hope as long as you are breathing. It will be a

real struggle.

Re: This game was purely on coaching, and I will spell it out,

Jun 2, 2012, 9:30 PM

you are about to get grilled by the JL fan club.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

They can drill me all they want, but everything I said is

Jun 2, 2012, 9:42 PM

the truth.

Re: This game was purely on coaching, and I will spell it out,

Jun 2, 2012, 9:49 PM

I too have ZERO baseball coaching experience,but even I know that we lost this game due to the fact the Gamecocks scored more runs.
Doesn't matter if they hit a walk off homerun,or stole home on a wild pitch,or threw the tying run out at the plate.It doesn't matter if our best hitter took a call strike three with the bat on his shoulder and the bases loaded.It doesn't matter that our coaches cost us the game,or their coaches won it.
We lost.
And even the most knowledgable Moron knows that.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic