Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Todd Ellis self-gloss that Danny Ford recruited him hard
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 3,469

Todd Ellis self-gloss that Danny Ford recruited him hard

Nov 22, 2019, 7:42 PM

We can thank our lucky stars that Todd Ellis did not choose Clemson (maybe someone can tell me if we even recruited him that hard considering we already had Rodney Williams on campus in 1984). Sometimes things are just meant to be and Todd Ellis and USC are a perfect fit.

By the way, don't you think Todd could tuck his shirt in. What a buffoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMJiOIhuFYY

Message was edited by: 90tiger®

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shirt out is the

Nov 22, 2019, 8:48 PM

Cycling style...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes Clemson recruited him very hard,

Nov 22, 2019, 8:51 PM

Coming out of high school Todd was one of the highest rated QB in the country. In those days coaches could go watch practice at the Shrine Bowl as much as they wanted, Coach Ford spent the entire week at the North Carolina practice, also during that time teams had 95 scholarships and could carry lots of QB’s. Todd actually threw one of the most beautiful passes you ever seen, very strong arm, super tight spiral, the only problem was he threw lots of them to the other team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Goof info. Thank goodness we didn't end up with him. Rodney

Nov 22, 2019, 9:21 PM

Williams and Chris Morroco worked out just fine compared to Todd "Interception King" Ellis and he wouldn't have been happy at Clemson. However, his own fans wouldn't have throw stuff at him no matter how bad he might have been on the field.

Re: Todd Ellis self-gloss that Danny Ford recruited him hard

Nov 22, 2019, 9:52 PM

Ellis's description of Ford recruiting him is the way I've heard that story told for decades. I don't actually think there was a lot of self-gloss in Ellis' telling. He was a very highly rated QB and we wanted him badly. As always when you lost a guy in the 70s and 80s the stories would come out about the car or the cash or the sister's scholarship that persuaded the guy you wanted to go to the evil school that bought him while you were trying to be honest.

The story about Ellis was that his family moved to Columbia shortly after he signed with the Gamecocks and his father got a nice job. Another version was that his Dad 'moved his business' to Columbia. Given those times, I'd not bet against that being true.

Coach Ford has always been the biggest personality in about any room where he is. He is outgoing, friendly, funny and very inclined to meet and greet. When working down there my buddies and I would often go to Dyar's for breakfast or lunch in hopes of running across Danny. We were moderately successful and he always was happy to talk. He also generally walked in, went behind the serving line and loaded up his plate as if he was in his home kitchen.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tony Rice

Nov 22, 2019, 10:37 PM

The quarterback we really needed in that era was Tony Rice who played QB at Woodruff High School under Coach Varner. Tony was part of Lou Holtz’s first recruiting class at Notre Dame in 1986. He was Proposition 48 and had to sit out his first year at Notre Dame. He got 690 on his SAT when he needed 700. As much as we all liked and remember Rodney Williams, if we had Tony Rice as the quarterback in 1987 to 1989 there may well have been a national championship team there.

Yep. I remember an interview with some pundits looking

Nov 23, 2019, 6:43 AM

up and down our roster in 87 or 88 and saying Clemson was just LOADED with stars. They said the only thing between Clemson and a championship was a QB. No disrepect to Rodney, he won us a LOT of games, was a great option technician and was tough as nails, but he was SLOOOOOOW.

Re: Yep. I remember an interview with some pundits looking

Nov 23, 2019, 7:28 AM

1987-1989 I thought often what might’ve been if Tony Rice stayed home. In 1988 all I could think of was that he won the national championship with the wrong team

The Toad will self-gloss in a skinny minute.***

Nov 23, 2019, 10:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Todd Ellis would have been great in the triple option, LOL***

Nov 23, 2019, 12:11 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 3,469
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic