Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
(LONG) C&P Article on Mitch Hyatt's Chances w/Dallas
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 3,098

(LONG) C&P Article on Mitch Hyatt's Chances w/Dallas

May 11, 2019, 4:23 PM

Mitch Hyatt, OT, Clemson

With Cameron Fleming's place as the backup swing tackle secured, Mitch Hyatt needs to perform well enough to justify the Cowboys keeping a fourth offensive tackle on the final roster.

The Cowboys don't often keep four offensive tackles on the roster, but it's not unheard of -- they had four tackles on the roster (Tyron Smith, La'el Collins, Chaz Green and Byron Bell) during stretches of 2017.

Hyatt won't face much competition for the fourth offensive tackle spot, as Jake Campos, an undrafted free agent last season, is the only other tackle on the roster whose spot isn't secure. In fact, Hyatt's biggest competition will likely come from developmental players at other positions, as the Cowboys will have to weigh keeping a fourth offensive tackle against retaining a fourth tight end, a sixth receiver, etc.

But even though he faces an uphill battle, it wouldn't be surprising if Hyatt cracked the final roster as offensive line coach Marc Colombo's developmental project.

A former five-star recruit, Hyatt was a four-year starter and two-time All-American at Clemson who was named a team captain his senior year. Measuring in at 6-5, 303 pounds with 34 1/8-inch arms, Hyatt possesses an excellent frame and length for a tackle, though he will need to put on some mass to get stronger in the NFL.

Despite all his accolades, there's a reason Hyatt went undrafted: He's an average athlete with below-average play strength, which exacerbates some maddening technical inefficiencies. He has a suspect anchor to go along with below-average footwork, which inhibits his ability to stymie bull rushes and mirror speed rushers around the edge in pass protection. Hyatt's inefficient footwork and tendency to have a narrow base during his pass set must be fixed at the next level.

Still, even with his experience, Hyatt has a skill set that can be developed into that of a notable backup swing tackle in the league.

Although Hyatt lacks a lot of the coveted physical traits, he does possess impressive football intelligence for his position. He routinely takes good angles when climbing to the second level, which enables him to create running lanes for ball carriers. While he rarely displaces defenders on single blocks, Hyatt does do a good job of steering defenders, using his body to wall them off from the running lane.

Furthermore, he does well to identify and defeat stunts, twists and blitzes. Hyatt rarely gets caught out of position, making it easy to tell how serious he takes his game preparation. It's not always pretty, but he understands angles and how to slow pass rushers in their pursuit of the quarterback, which is why he allowed just one sack and two quarterback hits in 462 pass-blocking snaps as a senior, according to Pro Football Focus.

Coming from a big program, Hyatt's football intelligence should enable him to pick up the Cowboys' offense quicker than a typical rookie. Not only will this gain him favor with the coaching staff, but it will allow him to spend more time developing his skill set whereas most rookies are just trying to get comfortable with the scheme.

The scarcity of likable offensive line talent in the NFL should also play to Hyatt's favor, as teams will do anything they can to hold on to developmental talent. If he does some good things during training camp and the preseason, you can bet the Cowboys will do whatever it takes to keep him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good read. Thanks for sharing.

May 11, 2019, 11:43 PM

I really hope we see Mitch playing on Sunday for years to come.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: (LONG) C&P Article on Mitch Hyatt's Chances w/Dallas

May 12, 2019, 1:06 AM

Thanks for sharing! I have no doubt he can make the team and stay in the league for years to come. He prepares well and will do what’s ask of him. He’s a big reason we were 55-4 in his 4 years. He has been great since his rookie season against some great competition! I’m so grateful we had him in the hardest position and he passed with flying colors.
I hope he gets paid for 15 years as a starter or backup.

Go Mitch show them what your made of brother!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

May 12, 2019, 7:30 AM

Yikes. A little awkward reading about technical things he probably should have learned in college.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 12, 2019, 11:40 AM

Yeah them sorry coaches probably have no idea what they are doing. I find it ironic that in 4 years he has probably gave up less sacks then guys who play 2 or 3. Do watch his tape. Mitch is an excellent offensive lineman. I could care less what his footwork is like or his strength even though he tested better in almost every category the 1st round Bama lineman did including putting up 5 more reps at 28 then the 23 the Bama player put up. I think Hyatt uses his smarts as a blocker instead of technique and when you boil it down his way obviously gets the job done at an elite level. You want to know why most NFL franchises aren't very good and will never be any good, bc they are more worried about the measurables than the tape.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 3,098
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic