Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thank you, Jesus.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 678

Thank you, Jesus.

May 20, 2020, 9:16 AM

By Erin Garcia de Jesus

"People who test positive again for the coronavirus, despite having already recovered from COVID-19, aren’t being reinfected, a new study finds.

Reports of patients discharged from hospitals in South Korea testing positive after their apparent recovery had raised concerns that people could get infected by the virus in the short term more than once or that the infection could come back. But diagnostic tests for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 rely on detecting the virus’s genetic material (SN: 4/17/20). A positive result does not indicate whether a person is shedding viruses capable of infecting cells — which would signal an active infection.

Now, a May 19 report from the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that samples from “reinfected” patients don’t have infectious viruses. The finding hints that the diagnostic tests are picking up on the genetic material from noninfectious or dead viruses. That lack of infectious virus particles means these people aren’t currently infected and can’t transmit the coronavirus to others, the researchers say.

“It’s good news,” says Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at Columbia University. “It appears people are not being reinfected, and this virus is not reactivating.”

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid19-reinfection-immune-response

Finally, science cuts me some slack.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you, Lord.

May 20, 2020, 9:27 AM

https://youtu.be/VyK1bZZ7E-s

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Lockdowners won't like this.***

May 20, 2020, 10:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What? Nobody wants to continue lockdown forever.***

May 20, 2020, 10:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Define 'forever". There are those who meet every item

May 20, 2020, 2:34 PM

of good news, and I do mean every item, with a 'yes but'.

Somebody td's this, which is usually an emotional reaction, which means whoever did it considers themselves to be a lockdowner: if I say, "Aliens ain't gonna like this", no td's, 'cause, no aliens. So, we have established that there are lockdowners.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DOWATM8?***

May 20, 2020, 2:38 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Again, what? No, nobody wants to continue lockdown

May 20, 2020, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Define 'forever". There are those who meet every item ]

beyond what's necessary. Nobody reacts negative to the good news from the OP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I have seen way too many people defend every

May 20, 2020, 3:03 PM

lockdown and speak condescendingly about every decision to reopen, to accept what you just said. I am sure it is true of you, and I am sure you accept this as welcome news. But yes, there are lockdowners who have rolled their eyes at every conversation about herd immunity. The OP link is about herd immunity, infected people not being reinfected. Herd immunity as a defense for opening - especially if one cites examples - is met with 'yes buts' every time. True fact.

Conversely, there are folk out there that straight up

May 20, 2020, 3:16 PM

motherfvck any notion of keeping anything closed or whatevs. CERTAINLY you aren't that extreme but would also acknowledge that as well. Unless there is some other agenda in play, but I ain't P&Ring or rooting through post history or any of that shyt to figger it out. I do, however, have a suspicion or three.

But we weren't talking about them. Lets prosecute one crime

May 20, 2020, 3:28 PM

at at time. You and Stzrok would get along great: "Can't get you on that so I'll get you on this."

But I can solve your suspicions for you. I do not believe a government has the right to tell a person he has to remain inside his house in this situation. Individuals can make their decisions about management of risk, and have a right to do so. No, I do not accept the notion of, "The lockdown is over when a person in government decides its okay to let you out."

Appreciate you wanting to walk down the hill and F'em all

May 20, 2020, 4:26 PM

instead of running down there to bang one of them.

I don't disagree. Buttlike, the gumment ain't tellin nobody to stay inside they house. They are saying other stuff that is similar in some ways but aren't really enforcing much of anything so it's not much of an issue IMO.

Now to argue it just to argue it...on the innernet, ok fine. You do you. I personally had no issue chilling out for a bit until data rolled in to make better decisions.

While we are on the subject, can you kindly post some tiddies in this thread. Otherwise we are going to all Gumment on yourass and lock you down in the P&R bored until we decide it's ok to let you out.

:) I'm with you. I think the definition of lockdown

May 20, 2020, 4:45 PM

changes in a conversation. Chronologically, it started out meaning "shelter in place", don't go outside. Then the survivalist types started protesting, not observing any safe practices, and the idea can develop that you're on one side or the other, "Shelter in place" or "no rules". In conversations, people can start to assume a person is one of those or the other, when that is not the case.

But when GA opened not long ago, so many people were downright hateful in their comments that the only conclusion is that they were total lockdowners, because GA was always about safe practice. Somebody, somewhere is obviously a lockdowner - they called the GA gov every name in the book - but no one wants to admit to it.

Now I'm curious about your views on "herd immunity"

May 20, 2020, 4:24 PM [ in reply to I have seen way too many people defend every ]

specifically, in relation to it as a strategy with and without a working vaccine.

Without a vaccine, there is no other choice, is there?

May 20, 2020, 4:49 PM

My reasons for thinking that a govt does not have the right to impose a ''stay at home" order is about whether a vaccine exists, or which virus is more or less dangerous that which other virus, however. A reasonable question, on the practical side, is why we close schools for a virus that kills basically 0% of kids, but don't close them for a flu that does kill some kids. But while that is a fair question I am not going to ask it as a defense for my position.

Social distancing and washing hands is effective

May 20, 2020, 5:04 PM

when you don't have a vaccine. Herd immunity only works when 90% of the community is immune to the disease and that can only safely happen when there is a working vaccine. So, in other words, herd immunity only is a viable strategy when there is a vaccine unless you don't care about having overrun hospitals and higher death totals.

Recent report on stay at home impact:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/498303-stay-at-home-orders-saved-hundreds-of-thousands-report-finds

Herd Immunity:
https://www.healthline.com/health/herd-immunity

Re: Social distancing and washing hands is effective

May 20, 2020, 5:15 PM

Supposedly, according to some epidemiologist on tv, 70% of the population needs to be infected eventually to create herd immunity.

From Johns Hopkins:

May 20, 2020, 6:05 PM

"Based on early estimates of this virus’s infectiousness, we will likely need at least 70% of the population to be immune to have herd protection."

"In the worst case (for example, if we do not perform physical distancing or enact other measures to slow the spread of SARS-CoV-2), the virus can infect this many people in a matter of a few months. This would overwhelm our hospitals and lead to high death rates.
In the best case, we maintain current levels of infection—or even reduce these levels—until a vaccine becomes available. This will take concerted effort on the part of the entire population, with some level of continued physical distancing for an extended period, likely a year or longer, before a highly effective vaccine can be developed, tested, and mass produced.
The most likely case is somewhere in the middle, where infection rates rise and fall over time; we may relax social distancing measures when numbers of infections fall, and then may need to re-implement these measures as numbers increase again. Prolonged effort will be required to prevent major outbreaks until a vaccine is developed. Even then, SARS-CoV-2 could still infect children before they can be vaccinated or adults after their immunity wanes. But it is unlikely in the long term to have the explosive spread that we are seeing right now because much of the population will be immune in the future."

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/achieving-herd-immunity-with-covid19.html

LOL. I dont at all disagree with any of your post. But

May 20, 2020, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Social distancing and washing hands is effective ]

there is a typo in my answer. Should be that the reason I do not believe govt has to right to gove a stay at home order "is NOT about having a vaccine." To me it is about who gets to manage the individual risks, and the nature of the definition of the individual in relation to the state. That is big stuff, imo.

Is there a group of people that actually want lockdown?

May 20, 2020, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Lockdowners won't like this.*** ]

Or is that what you guys call libtards?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feel free to check my history. You will not find one

May 20, 2020, 3:13 PM

instance of me speaking that way of people leaning one way or the other politically.

But yes, there are people who defend lockdown as though it is an end in itself. There is no debating this. You may not think so. I know I receive tmails and emails doing that very thing. I have asked more than one lockdowner to describe to me a condition at which he/she would agree a lockdown should come off. Flattening? Downturn? How much of a reduction in cases is acceptable to come out of lockdown? Is the pursuit of immunity worth coming out of lockdown?

I promise you, I interact with people who will not agree to any parameter. If I get silly and ask, "Is one new case in a week enough to warrant lockdown", they will agree that no, that would not be reasonable. But asked to commit to a condition, the only consistent response is, "If the government thinks its needed, then its needed."

You can say those people aren't there, but I talk to them. On tnet.

Is this guy new? Has he been properly sexed in?

May 20, 2020, 3:41 PM

Should we sex him in again?

Re: Is this guy new? Has he been properly sexed in?

May 20, 2020, 3:56 PM

no way, new avatar and just showed back up. Been around for a while.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHALE WAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THIS BONER NOW?***

May 20, 2020, 4:04 PM

Re: Thank you, Jesus.

May 20, 2020, 10:55 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qev-i9-VKlY

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you notice the author of that article is 'Jesus?'***

May 20, 2020, 2:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good news from a reputable source.

May 20, 2020, 2:49 PM

Thanks for sharing. Hope this holds true.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

METOO.

May 20, 2020, 4:12 PM

Perhaps this means that we won't see a return of the virus this fall, football won't be shutdown and no one here will kill me for trolling P&R bored because I'm staying busy trying to prove that Clemson is the greatest football program in the history of history. :)

Anyjuan else think the hippie in the picture is enjoying

May 20, 2020, 3:25 PM

the collection of his brain sample a little too much? Like he's got a woody or something?

he DID have a woody

May 20, 2020, 3:27 PM

#refractoryperiod

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 678
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic