Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A reminder of who Phil Korncoot really is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

A reminder of who Phil Korncoot really is

Jan 30, 2019, 7:50 AM

This article was written a while back BUT NOTHING has changed.

http://theavenueofchampions.blogspot.com/2010/05/public-enemy.html?m=1

Monday, May 17, 2010
Public Enemy
At the start of May, Phil Kornblut ran an article stating that Ole Miss basketball player Murphy Holloway was a “done deal” to transfer to Clemson thanks to a “source”. CUTigers.com following Kornblut’s lead and ran a headline about Clemson receiving Holloway’s transfer and later ESPN picked up the story and ran it on their ticker. Last week, Ole Miss’ Athletic Director denied Holloway’s transfer request to Clemson citing “drumbeats” that Clemson had contacted Holloway prior to his release from Ole Miss as his rationale for denying the release to Clemson.

To our knowledge, Clemson made no improper contact with Holloway and operated completely under the NCAA rules and regulations, but Kornblut’s article, CUTigers’ article and ESPN picking-up the story was enough smoke for Ole Miss’ AD to think that Clemson had tampered with Holloway.

Ultimately an irresponsible article by Kornblut did nothing but hurt Clemson's chances to land Holloway.

This is nothing new. Kornblut has antagonized Clemson for years.

Who can forget Kornblut’s “on air/off air” attack on Tommy Bowden several years ago?

Kornblut's Attack on Tommy Bowden

Or Kornblut’s interview with CJ Spiller’s Mom about CJ transferring to Florida?

Kornblut has also allegedly repeatedly phoned prospects that Clemson and South Carolina are battling for while Clemson coaches are present in an effort to be disruptive and break up the rhythm of the in-home visit.

Kornblut does not have much of a relationship with anyone at Clemson. Kornblut was not popular with Tommy West or his staff at Clemson, Kornblut was not popular with Tommy Bowden or his staff at Clemson, and Kornblut is not popular with Dabo Swinney or his staff. Nothing is different in regards to basketball as Oliver Purnell’s staff did not trust him, and you can certainly imagine how Brad Brownell and his staff feel about Kornblut right now.

On the other hand, Kornblut is, allegedly, very close with several current and former South Carolina coaches. He has a strong relationship with USC assistants Brad Lawing and Ellis Johnson, and former assistants Dave Roberts and Ron Cooper.

Former Clemson assistant coach Rich Bisaccia had a strong relationship with Kornblut while Bisaccia was the recruiting coordinator for USC. When Bisaccia left USC for Clemson, he cut Kornblut off. That should say it all about the level of trust Kornblut has at Clemson.

Phil Kornblut is not an unbiased journalist. He is a USC alumnus with a strong anti-Clemson agenda. He has been persona non-grata as far as Clemson coaches are concerned for over a decade. But for whatever reason, Kornblut is still allowed to attend Clemson sporting events as a media member, eat Clemson’s food and sits in Clemson’s press row where Kornblut has been caught browsing USC fan websites and listening to USC Athletic events on the radio.

Kornblut then returns to Columbia, where he gets on the radio and rips Clemson.

But for whatever reason, Clemson’s athletic leadership does nothing to eradicate this problem. Terry Don Phillips has the power to sign off on Clemson’s Sports Information Department blackballing Kornblut, but this has yet to take place. Why has this not been done? How much more will Kornblut hurt Clemson before TDP wakes up and takes action against Kornblut?

This man must be removed from covering all Clemson athletics events immediately. His reputation and credibility in Clemson have been in question for well over a decade. Very few Clemson fans take him seriously, and his reputation falls further with each stunt he pulls. In fact, he has graduated from simply insulting Clemson and Clemson coaches on the radio and annoying our coaches and recruits to directly hurting Clemson on the recruiting trail through his behavior.

To paraphrase Kornblut, Terry Don Phillips, “in your heart of hearts,” you know that it’s long past time to pull the plug on Phil Kornblut. Once and for all, get this man the hell out of our athletics venues.

We encourage everybody to call and email TDP and demand that Kornblut's Clemson Media credentials be revoked.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A reminder of who Phil Korncoot really is-I got an email

Jan 30, 2019, 8:03 AM

from TDP saying- leave me (and Brittney) alone.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good lawd dude. It’s just sports.

Jan 30, 2019, 12:47 PM

The way y’all talk about him you’d think he hit on your wife or punched your dog.

Re: A reminder of who Phil Korncoot really is

Jan 30, 2019, 8:18 AM

Korncoot, the fake news Jim Acosta of the sports world.

Did Phil steal your lunch money?

Jan 30, 2019, 8:41 AM

How many times are you going to post this article?

In the Midlands, Sportstalk/Phil Kornblut is the only real alternative to the venom spewed our way from 107.5.

I don't think he is really "THE DEVIL".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did Phil steal your lunch money?

Jan 30, 2019, 11:36 AM

This was the first time I posted it.

Agree- the personal vendettas, butthurt and

Jan 30, 2019, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Did Phil steal your lunch money? ]

Conspiracy theories about Kornblut are ridiculous. Of course being in Columbia he’s going to have better access to Coot contacts and he’s going to have better contacts with guys like Ellis who moved up through the ranks in this state vs the outsiders. Other than the intentional Cory vs Will segment the last few years, usually could rely on his show for news not as much of the BS that exists on other shows. He’s riled plenty of USC folks over the years with opinions but he tends to focus more on news than most other guys. I would much rather listen to him, a Teddy Hefner or Rick Sanford here in the midlands than a USC cheerleader like on The Game or a Walt or a Clemson cheerleader without calling any names

i dont know about conspiracies and all that, but

Jan 30, 2019, 12:12 PM

Ive listened to Kornblut on and off and followed his ways for over 20 years, so I feel I have a good bank of empirical evidence to formulate an objective opinion.

Not sure what all is meant by conspiracies and that kinds of stuff, but I have seen enough of him to see he is a man of poor character. He's often shown signs of being dishonest and being disingenuous, and his intentions are often of the slimy variety. My opinion, and I think its well-supported, is that he is not a generally good person, he lacks character, and he's not trustworthy. And at the root of it he is a South Carolina grad and fan, with what appears to be common fandome envy etc. Combine that with his lack or character, ethics, and honesty, and I really don't care for him near our program. I honestly don't see how anyone who's witnessed him for 20+ years could disagree.

Re: i dont know about conspiracies and all that, but

Jan 30, 2019, 12:51 PM

I ask this because I honestly don't know, but can you give some examples of what makes you say he's not a good person?

he called one of our players mothers and attempted to create

Jan 30, 2019, 1:02 PM

transfer drama where there was none and he jumped the gun on the Holloway transfer and we lost a player because of it...Is that not enough?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the call to CJ's Mom and him fecking up the Holloway

Jan 30, 2019, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Agree- the personal vendettas, butthurt and ]

transfer actually happened and that is more than enough for me to despise him for legitimate reasons

Jan 30, 2019, 8:45 AM

What I don't get in this article is why was the author blasting Kornblut for posting the article about Holloway, but not CUTigers and ESPN for doing the same?

Exactly. At least I believe Kornblut had

Jan 30, 2019, 12:00 PM

a source(prob Hs coach or family member). CU Tigers and ESPN should have done their own reporting/sources and tried to confirm. Ole Miss AD just being an ### IMO

because both outlets got their lead from PK?***

Jan 30, 2019, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: A reminder of who Phil Korncoot really is ]

Tigers do not lose sleep over the opinions of chickens***

Jan 30, 2019, 9:23 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mere flim-flam stories and nothing but shams and lies

Jan 30, 2019, 10:52 AM

Korncoot's show has been cancelled, effective today! Buh-bye!

I didn't know who he was until folks here mentioned him.

Jan 30, 2019, 10:56 AM

I never heard his voice because some members here who were believable spoke so negatively about him. I'm sorry he's lost his job but I can with utmost honest say I will not miss him.

I'm sure other coots will popup and take his place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I didn't know who he was until folks here mentioned him.

Jan 30, 2019, 11:43 AM

I never heard his voice because some members here who were believable spoke so negatively about him. I'm sorry he's lost his job but I can with utmost honest say I will not miss him.

I'm sure other coots will popup and take his place.

I normally don't bother with personal vendettas or conspiracy theories - usually, it's all about Follow The Money a lot more than some Secret Conspiracy Against Clemson - but Kornblut was poisonous.

It's one thing to cover the news, it's another thing to go utterly superfan and tribal and use your position in journalism to try to influence and shape it.

Not gonna miss him either. I'm sure he'll resurface somewhere in some capacity, and keep right on spewing. Probably on some Youtube channel...which seems fitting. At the end of the day he's a lot more blogger than journalist anyhow and that's about his speed.

I agree 100% with the OP! Korn working as editor for Spurs

Jan 30, 2019, 1:18 PM

and Feathers shows his allegiance right away. I heard him speak at a Columbia Honebuilder's meeting once and several CU fans there gave him a fit. I was shocked to hear his show would be on WCCP and I continue to question Ben's judgement when he was allowed to air his program on WCCP.

I'm glad to hear his show is going off the air. I want WCCP to stick around and at times I honestly like Ben's decisions but allowing PK on the air was one I still find puzzling.

PK is not a friend to Clemson sports and is not objective in his reporting and shouldn't ever have been on Clemson's station.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

" Is you is, or Is you ain't ? "

Jan 31, 2019, 7:59 AM

Korncoot ain't !

Bottom line.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic