Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can the Tigers be the first..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Can the Tigers be the first..

Jan 16, 2019, 7:18 PM

30- 0 team back to back national champs? If we stay as healthy as last year, I think so.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can the Tigers be the first..

Jan 16, 2019, 7:24 PM

If the freshman class goes 60-0, what else is left to prove?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

let the red shirt guys count all 5 yrs and be 75-0***

Jan 16, 2019, 7:59 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because College Football has become . . .

Jan 16, 2019, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Can the Tigers be the first.. ]

A gigantic $$$ grab, someone will expand the Playoff System.

There will be at least one extra game per year when it happens.

Not saying I'm in favor of it . . . Our Swimming Tiger asked, "What else is left to prove?"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So your saying we can be the first modern era to go 16-0?***

Jan 17, 2019, 6:24 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah, the fact that football is a giant $$$$ grab is

Jan 17, 2019, 7:57 AM [ in reply to Because College Football has become . . . ]

one of the primary reasons that playoffs won't expand. There's way more money in the bowl system than there would be letting two teams have an extra home game in a preliminary playoff round.

Not if the seats are empty...I think we're there either way.***

Jan 17, 2019, 8:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only one team sits in our way.

Jan 16, 2019, 7:40 PM

Us.

I think we have a real shot at it!

Jan 16, 2019, 7:57 PM

To me the biggest threats to that happening are:

Alabama
Georgia
Texas
Ohio State
Michigan

We have issues that will be coached up! These other programs have far bigger problems. Coaching turnover! New OC's. Departed DC and OC. Key players that have to be replaced. Legendary coach retiring.
Michigan - Don Brown defense sometimes outside the Big 10 when teams aren't just passing on obvious downs look very beatable! They are a contender b/c they now have one half of the OC's who put Tua on the map from Bamer! Will they get some offense and be able to play non -big 10 power football teams tough on defense as well?
Ohio State - no urban. No Haskins. They recruit well; but you don't just replace a NC multi-winning coach! Or a record setting QB; especially when you have the backup in the portal. How will Fields look? Can he even play next season; doubt it.
Georgia - Fromm can get flustered in the pocket. If KJ and XT are as good as I think they will be this season; the mutts would be in trouble against our defense. They are losing talent to various things; can they sustain success? Kirby hasn't proven he can get it done.
Texas - intriguing team. Fuentes can't figure out how to beat Maryland( 0- 2 or 3 versus the Terps). But, they can beat UGA, go figure. I think they are tough; but not ready for what a bamer or Clemson would be able to present on the field.
Bamer - 4 asst coaches have left. Nicki always has coaches wanting to learn from him though. I suspect with the co-OC's having left; they revert back to 12 personnell! They losing some key pieces on offense too. Will they play like the world is on their shoulders all year and end up slipping up? I think so; until they acknowledge they just got drug through the mud; they won't work any harder. They will be the same old same old - which won't be good enough! I think Tua takes a step back in under the new OC.

Clemson has to stay healthy like all the teams listed above. No key injuries! BV will have the new starters primed for action and ready to play! Many of our ACC opponents have much bigger concerns heading into next season. Including but limited to: new schemes, new OC/DC, QB changes and HC changes. FSU could be dangerous with Kendall Briles! But, we have them here. Will NC State be tough w/o Finley? Cuse replacing Dungey? And a couple WR's. Often times new starters is an opportunity to excel in areas the prior team no matter how talented did not exceed in. Maybe we get better in some areas and not as good in others; but balances out to be the same crushing defense! I think it will happen; b/c QB's will have exac - sacked. that long to throw it. < ----- see wha I did there? The offense should be flat explosive! Our defense will see a bunch of snaps b/c I see some quick scoring drives happening!
I think our backups are more than capable as well! CB7 could go in and win if needed(God Forbid). Lynn J could start if needed and be phenommenal. Our OL is pretty interchangeable. The WR group is just " SILLY "! Silly Good! Deep!
I think we were very fortunate ST did not bite us(punting) this season. FG will be interesting as I believe Potter is taking over! I saw him hit a 49 yarder on a cold night in H.S. I think we are good to go there. Punting though. We need some competition in camp to push our starter there or for the S & C or ST coach to work a miracle over the spring and summer!

We are in good position to go 15 - 0 but nothing is guaranteed!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Toss Michigan. Texas is at least a couple years out. Saban's

Jan 17, 2019, 6:32 AM

grasp on recruiting is waning. Kirby's grasp on 'smarts' ain't there. O-31-O State just took a sizable coaching hit. Choklahoma?

The CFB Playoff era is Clemson's "Payoff" Era and considering the stability of the program, Dabo and Co. are in for a He!! of a run...

Re: Toss Michigan. Texas is at least a couple years out. Saban's

Jan 17, 2019, 6:38 AM

How in the world can you say Saban’s grasp on recruiting is waning? They will sign the top class in the nation, and Saban’s best ever with this 2019 class. Sounds a bit like Todd Ellis saying that Clemson is “cycling out”.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2020, dude... Lupoi just left... So did most everybody else.***

Jan 17, 2019, 6:43 AM

They've had the top classes several years recently... Do you think it might mean there's a coaching factor that's being overlooked...?

Re: 2020, dude... Lupoi just left... So did most everybody else.***

Jan 17, 2019, 6:54 AM

Saban has a personality issue more than a coaching issue. Assistants just look at Bama as a checkbox on a resume, not a destination. Players go there to be trained for the NFL and leave as soon as possible. His personality leads to high turnover. He lost so many off the D last year that success is hard to maintain despite high recruiting classes. The weakest part of that team was the defensive backfield, and our QB and WRs are the best in the nation, most able in the country to expose that weakness.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree... I think all your points are becoming much

Jan 17, 2019, 7:03 AM

more apparent each subsequent year. It use to be Bama's to lose. Not anymore.

It's the coaching turnover that's become his biggest problem.

Good analysis

Jan 17, 2019, 7:34 AM [ in reply to I think we have a real shot at it! ]

We do have a punter signed though so I think help is on the way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can the Tigers be the first..

Jan 16, 2019, 8:40 PM

Success is wonderful but it does not come without costs. Just imagine four consecutive seasons of 15 - 0, the Gamecock nation would be in total meltdown. The taxpayers of this state would be expending astronomical sums to build adequate mental facilities to care for the Gamecock fans. If it should ever come down to a choice, Tiger fans would willing choose to pay more taxes so the Gamecock fans would have adequate care. Tiger fans are known as being a compassionate people.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, Oklahoma has kind of already done it...

Jan 17, 2019, 1:15 AM

In a round-about way.
In 1953 they won their last 9 games to go 9-1-1, ending #4.
In 1954 they went 10-0, ending #3.
In 1955 they went 11-0, ending #1.
In 1956 they went 10-0, ending #1.
In 1957 they won their first 7 games, lost, and won their last 3.

Now, they weren't ranked #1 fully through any of those seasons, though they did end 55 and 56 as #1. So their undefeated span across those years was 47 games, with two NC's sandwiched in the middle, but not wire-to-wire #1 in any year, and only 17 games as "reigning" National Champs, from end of 55 to end of '56, till they were beaten in '57.

So, with longer seasons it's easier to string long wins together. If TL and the boys keep it up, we could win 45 games in 3 years, where it took OK 5 years to win 47.

Fingers crossed and Go Tigers!

If our players and coaches don't get cocky and full of...

Jan 17, 2019, 6:05 AM

themselves we have the personnel to do that. It all comes down to character and immunity to RAT POISON.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic