Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Good O-lines make average backs look good. Great o-lines
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 725

Good O-lines make average backs look good. Great o-lines

Sep 29, 2014, 8:40 AM

make great backs look like supermen. If we had a great line then teams would have to pick their poison. 1.) Back off the line and try to defend the pass leaving the middle open to our line opening huge holes for our running game that could gash you for many a yard or 2.) Stack the middle defending the run and leaving the backfield open to Watson's air attack. Either would be deadly.

Need for our Tiger 0-line to get better. Does our 1st string 0-line practice against the 1st string D-line. Have they lost confidence playing against our 1st-string D?

Need an answer because at some point we are going to need a running game.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As coach Ford used to say....

Sep 29, 2014, 8:45 AM

Anyone can run the ball successfully behind a great offensive line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

We should be recruiting an entire O line every year.***

Sep 29, 2014, 10:29 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep...I'm thinking that our line is a little better than

Sep 29, 2014, 8:48 AM

we've seen. With DW, teams are going to be forced to respect the pass and not sell out to stop the run. The vertical passing game is going to open up the run from here on out...just need someone to step up and become that premiere hard nosed back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's bass ackward from traditional thought...

Sep 29, 2014, 10:32 AM

but I've seen it work over and over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our running backs make our offensive line look worse than it

Sep 29, 2014, 8:49 AM

really is. None of them can make a move while maintaining any forward momentum a la James Davis, CJ Spiller, Andre Ellington and even Hot Rod McDowell. Nobody can run through an arm tackle. Nobody can outrun anybody. Nobody can spot a hole that isn't where it was supposed to be. I noticed many opportunities to do each of the above and just didn't see it happen.

We need to try someone else that hasn't been tried. I don't see a solution from the current stable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the zone blocking we use vision by the backs is

Sep 29, 2014, 10:51 AM

essential. Of the four we are using, Howard has never shown that vision. Davidson, Gallman and Choice are still in the learning curve. Fans don't like to hear that our backs are in the learning curve, but they are. Davidson was a track guy, Choice was a QB last year and Gallman is still just a RS freshman. 1-2 will eventually get it. Davidson is probably closest right now, but he still struggles with making that key read and busting through as the backs we've had in the past did. People forget CJ struggled with this until he was a senior. He made so many big plays it covered up a lot of those runs for no gain where he simply missed a hole. The O-line needs to improve. The TE's should be helped a tone with Cooper returning, but all the factors are contributing, not just the OL

Agree 100%. I don't buy the excuse that what may have

Sep 29, 2014, 8:52 AM

appeared to be a poor performance by the O-line against UNC was simply due to them "stacking the box" and committing to stopping the run. Go back and watch the replay and you will see our guys getting beat in the one-on-one battles, and defenders getting through untouched and penetrating all night. We rarely got a push and moved anybody out of the way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Agree 100%. I don't buy the excuse that what may have

Sep 29, 2014, 10:23 AM

Be as it may right now the only decent running back we have is Adam Choice. The other guys are OK at best losing Zac Brooks was a big hurt for us and waiting for Tyshone Dye to get better to help Choice is going to be the only option we have. If teams start to focus on the passing game more to try and stop Deshaun then watch how our backs continue to fall over their own legs. If you take a look at halfway decent backs they always try to find holes or even cracks where they can get some yardage; not our backs they continue to run into the backs of the Oline so it doesn't matter what other teams do we'll still have just running backs until choice gets a little more experience. You have to remember Choice was a QB last year.

Replies: 8
| visibility 725
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic