Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Golf is Dying
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Golf is Dying

Apr 14, 2014, 11:50 AM

The lack of Tiger Woods yielded the worst TV rating for the Masters in a very long time. Woods is a transcendent talent and when he is done the game will have nothing intriguing. Golf needs another dominate, lightning-rod like player. I grew up rooting for Tiger and when he isn't in it, I tune out. I'm happy for Bubba Watson winning his 2nd green jacket though. He seams like a good guy and is certainly likeable.

Also on the death watch list:
Baseball and the Republican party.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No worse than baseball. just

Apr 14, 2014, 11:53 AM

A hard sport to watch unless you are really into golfing, which most are not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: No worse than baseball. just

Apr 14, 2014, 12:06 PM

MLB should go to a 3 man rotation and cut it to 96 games.

It will be okay once Tiger is really gone for a bit. You'll

Apr 14, 2014, 11:56 AM

have the Fred Couples and Greg Norman types again. I agree that it would be helpful if there was another guy out there you could count on to be in the hunt every week that he plays.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It will be okay once Tiger is really gone for a bit. You'll

Apr 14, 2014, 12:00 PM

I don't play golf. I play tennis. However, I think both sports are better to play than to watch. But, for me, watching golf and baseball are like watching paint dry. Too slow for me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't watch golf, but I am impressed with

Apr 14, 2014, 12:03 PM

the highlights I like baseball, but I can't watch a random game with no rooting interest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Golf is Dying

Apr 14, 2014, 12:05 PM

lol @ this post.... Golf does not care about TV ratings.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

especially Augusta National!!!!***

Apr 14, 2014, 12:19 PM

That's fine. Golf fans will be glad to see you go.

Apr 14, 2014, 12:12 PM

More open tee times/cheaper green fees for me!

As far as baseball its a lot healthier than basketball.

The one sport which I hate to say that is in trouble is football just from the perspective youth participation is on the decline.

Just remember....soccer sport of the 80s! at least that's what they told us when I was a kid. That and we'd all be using the metric system.

and the coming ice age

Apr 14, 2014, 1:21 PM

I thought everybody would have spaceships and ray guns by the time I grew up too.

lol***

Apr 14, 2014, 12:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good chance the op was 1 of the 61 million?***

Apr 14, 2014, 12:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whoa whoa whoa....did you even tune in? That tournament

Apr 14, 2014, 12:18 PM

had more story lines than a soap opera!!! It was agreat tournament! I would've rather had Tiger there too but that Masters di NOT disappoint by any means!!

Re: whoa whoa whoa....did you even tune in? That tournament

Apr 14, 2014, 12:50 PM

Can't say I agree...sure it had story lines but we could have stopped playing at #13. No excitement in the back nine. The guys in contention are good players but none of them has the ability to do the spectacular. The tour needs a dynamic player that can provide intrigue in the final day not a group of average players who are trying not to fall apart coming down the stretch.

null

Apr 14, 2014, 1:13 PM

lol yea Bubbas shot in the playoff holes a couple years ago was not spectacular at all.....

This was the Ball flight...

You are right not spectacular at all any hack can make that shot.

null

nice drive.***

Apr 14, 2014, 1:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2014, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: whoa whoa whoa....did you even tune in? That tournament ]

So you go back 2 years ago to pick out one shot? You could ask 100 golfers about Bubba's game and I don't think anyone would call it spectacular. Yes he is a very good player but he plays a wild inexact style that allows him to hit crazy shots like the one mentioned and errant shots that can ruin his round. It is a big reason why he hasn't done much since winning his last masters.

null

Apr 14, 2014, 1:48 PM

You just said and I quote "None of them has the ability to do the spectacular"

That is bull #### plain and simple as I just showed you.

null

Apr 14, 2014, 2:14 PM

Wow so if you narrow the parameters down to one shot then I guess even your weekend hack can claim greatness. Give me a break. Maybe Spieth will continue to grow and show the ability to take over a round. Maybe Rory will get back on track and use his talent on a weekly basis but until we get consistency from these guys golf will continue to lose fans.

Tiger took over the game because it didn't matter if you loved or hated him it was him vs the field. Without Tiger it is just the field because no one has stepped up and proved they can consistently show up. We need true competitors and rivalries that keep our attention. Hogan/Snead, Nickolus/Palmer/Watson, or Woods/Mickelson. These guys didn't show up 1 or 2 weeks out of the year they played at a high level everyday.

null

Apr 14, 2014, 2:37 PM

Tiger has not won a Major in 6 years... Seriously gtfo with this non sense.

Golf will lose the BS bandwagon fans that really mean nothing to the sport. Golf will continue to be just fine with or without Tiger Woods.

He is not and has not ever been bigger than the game.

null

Apr 14, 2014, 3:10 PM

No one ever said that golf would not survive without Tiger, but without another player/players to fill that void it will lose the progress it has made. You can't deny what Tiger has done for the game. Just look at the average purse when he first started winning until now.

You can be a golf purest all you want but at the end of they day without a rivalry or player that the average fan can latch on to the sport will regress. The BS bandwagon fans you speak of provide millions of dollars to the sport and keep tournaments running.

null

Apr 14, 2014, 12:23 PM

I don't play golf or watch very much, but I always tune into the back nine of a major.

I enjoy watching the end battle but can't go for a whole weekend. It would be nice to have someone who consistently wins like tiger did.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i could care less if tiger woods ever played again.

Apr 14, 2014, 12:35 PM

he is not fan friendly nor is he a good role model.
but he does have major talent.

Apr 14, 2014, 1:19 PM

Is that you Obama?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny thing, during the great recession when money was

Apr 14, 2014, 1:22 PM

tight, more rounds of golf were played than during any other time.

Golf is not dying! Resort towns like Myrtle Beach are filled year round with golfers from all over.

Tiger/Terrier

Not so much***

Apr 14, 2014, 1:22 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

When was golf alive?***

Apr 14, 2014, 1:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2014, 1:34 PM

You and Obama need to find something in common.Maybe both of you can salute gays and leave golf to Republicans and heterosexuals.

I'm not a proponent of the

Apr 14, 2014, 1:40 PM

Republican Party, but with them being on the death list sure does explain the downward spiral this country is in.

Apr 14, 2014, 1:45 AM

I watch golf when I want to take a nap after Sunday dinner. Even with a camera following Tiger Woods 98% of the time, the game isn't really filled with excitement.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep

Apr 14, 2014, 1:43 PM

I saw people standing on street corners selling Masters badges for 10 cents on the dollar. And the winners check was a pittance compared to the $40,000 first prize awarded the year Tiger was born.

When I was a kid in the 70s, Masters tickets were relatively easy to come by, and the practice rounds (yes, even Wednesday) were general admission. Now, there is a lottery for the Monday and Tuesday practice rounds...and the last place finisher who made the cut got $20,000.

Yep, golf is dying, alright.

You just keep on thinking that....

Apr 14, 2014, 1:44 PM

meanwhile reality will continue.

Re: You just keep on thinking that....

Apr 14, 2014, 2:17 PM

I agree. Clemseth needs to return to planet Earth. I thoroughly enjoyed the Masters this year without Woods.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic