Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Given how bad our basketball team will likely be next year,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,788

Given how bad our basketball team will likely be next year,

Mar 27, 2019, 10:05 AM

if Drad doesn't fire Coach Brownell after April 1st, you would have to assume that Brad has AT LEAST two more years. As in past years, I do not get the impression that Brad feels any pressure or sense of urgency to win now. I guess he did get a technical in the Wright State game for sticking up for his players, but that was a first. He often talks about the team after a loss as though the coaching staff and the players are not the same entity.

From a management standpoint, it makes no sense to wait a year to do something that you know is inevitable next year unless we just don't have the expectation or desire to be better. If Drad doesn't fire him this year, we are in for at least 2 more years of this.

If the past is any guide, Coach B isn't going anywhere and The John will be a ghost town next year as attendance falls below 7,000 per game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Given how bad our basketball team will likely be next year,

Mar 27, 2019, 10:15 AM

shouldn't you just concentrate on how you gonna run trump out of town. rotflmfao. how that working out for you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell could pull him from a burning building

Mar 27, 2019, 10:21 AM

And he'd just spit in his face. The disdain is beyond reasonable.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brad Brownell could pull him from a burning building

Mar 27, 2019, 10:22 AM

Some give a’Clemson man ‘a new meaning!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You need to cut back on the coffee.

Mar 27, 2019, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Brad Brownell could pull him from a burning building ]

You are too old to be getting all worked up like that over a strawman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You need to cut back on the coffee.

Mar 27, 2019, 10:32 AM

I think Brownell will be given one more year to show improvement.

Given the overwhelming likelihood that we will be worse next

Mar 27, 2019, 10:36 AM

year, it seems a forgone conclusion that he will be let go next year, if you are correct.

From a management perspective, is it good managerial practice? What will be accomplished by waiting another year?

That's why I am suggesting that, if he doesn't fire him this year, he certainly won't next year when the expectations are much, much lower.

Re: Given the overwhelming likelihood that we will be worse next

Mar 27, 2019, 10:50 AM

If we will be worse next year, why bring in a new guy to endure that ? Let Brownell handle it and if he can't, find someone who can produce a better product. His buyout will also be less. I don't know if we will ever be a good basketball school but history is not on our side. If you are in the lower tier of the best basketball conference in the nation, you will not land many prized recruits.

Typically, the first recruiting year of a new coach is not

Mar 27, 2019, 11:08 AM

the best. Look at Brownell's first year. He got a guy that had committed to him at Wright State to follow him to Clemson where he didn't play before transferring. If you know next year is going to be bad regardless, why wait? Let the new coach get in and start building and recruiting so that next year's class can be good. Don't draw it out.

Let the players get a fresh voice in their ears and a fresh perspective. I would expect us to be better in year one with a new coach, much like our women's basketball program did this year after years of futility.

Re: You need to cut back on the coffee.

Mar 27, 2019, 11:57 AM [ in reply to You need to cut back on the coffee. ]

Still waiting on those imminent indictments.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Mar 27, 2019, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Brad Brownell could pull him from a burning building ]

Let’s just burn a cross on Brad’s lawn. Maybe then he’ll get the message how much Clemson is ready for him to move on. Am I right or am I right?

Mar 28, 2019, 9:26 AM

It's a lower case "t" for time to leave... ahh love a good south park quote

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2019, 10:59 AM

I think we will be ok. Actually, I think we will be a "dangerous" team that is inconsistent but pushing upsets.

Here is the trick, a lot of other programs will be unknown as well, both FSU and VT I think will be radically different. FSU is losing experience too and VT likely will have a different coach. So there is going to be some shake-up to the non-elite teams. That and I do not see the basement getting a lot better... save maybe for GT.

My guess we are not as good next year but a bit more dynamic. 18 wins and 8-10 in conference... but finish 7th. I see the upper teams being more dominant and everyone else being weaker.

As for next year .... there is only one thing I’m a certain

Mar 27, 2019, 11:29 AM

Of and that is...... the great Zion will only be a memory to college fans.

Re: As for next year .... there is only one thing I’m a certain

Mar 27, 2019, 11:34 AM

who?

You are absolutely dreaming

Mar 27, 2019, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Given how bad our basketball team will likely be next year, ]

If Brad wins 18 games next year he should be national coach if the year. Every team in the conference returns more than us and we do not have one proven scorer entering next year.

Hey, anything is possible. But you are talking about things having to happen that never have under Brad. Some returning players make quantum leaps and not incremental improvement and/or a couple of freshmen be instant, high impact players

Mar 27, 2019, 11:47 PM

Let's say for argument that we're actually better next year. Well be 6-10 or better in the back with athletic kids, fairly big front and wing, and shooters coming in. So, what if we've got 22-24 wins, make the tourney, and get 2 or more wins. Would you shut up and eat that crow --- or keep up the diatribe?

If we do that Brad should be coach of the century

Mar 27, 2019, 11:51 PM

we have zero proven players. Simms and Trapp are the closest, and they were very inconsistent contributors, certainly not guys you say here are my go to scorers

Mar 28, 2019, 7:50 AM

I think most CLEMSON fans look at firing CBB and hiring a new HC in the wrong way, and are missing the obvious pattern that our Admin has consistently shown over the years.

Let me break it down for you.
-CLEMSON is a FOOTBALL school, and have NEVER been a BBall school, nor will we ever be.
-The Admin typically looks for that "diamond in the rough" and hopes for the best, and are willing to endure the pain if the new guy does not work out as expected.
-CLEMSON prefers to run CLEAN programs, at the cost of not resorting to tactics that throw shade on our incredible school.
-Firing CBB will simply cost $$$ to buyout CBB's contract, and recruit a new coach, which reduces the bottom line of any profits, and this is BAD BUSINESS.
-The Admin realizes that CLEMSON fans will moan and complain if the BBall team does not do well, but it provides a service to those diehard fans that just love CLEMSON and happen to enjoy whatever is provided.

Bottom line is - this is a business to the Admin, and they run it as effectively as possible to provide continued enhancements to our beautiful campus. So as much as we fans prefer to win at EVERY sport, it just is not feasible to expect that. Those that enjoy the sport should continue to enjoy it for what it is, and the rest of us will enjoy the sports we prefer. We are family, so it is what it is. Firing CBB is NOT a good idea IMO.

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,788
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic