Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
relatively speaking, the NIT > lower tear bowl games...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

relatively speaking, the NIT > lower tear bowl games...

Mar 13, 2017, 12:00 PM

i have seen a lot of folks comparing the NIT to low tear bowl games (ala pin stripe/Birmingham bowl).

This is just simply not true.

69 teams make the Tourney plus 32 in the NIT. thats a total of 101. There are 347 eligible D1 bball teams. That means 29% of eligible teams make the postseason NIT or NCAA tourney.

In football, there are 40 bowl games which means 80 teams qualify for a bowl. There are 128 bowl eligible teams. that means 63% of eligible teams make the postseason in football.

Obviously the goal is making the NCAA tourney, but the NIT is not quite as dismal as some of you make it out to be. It gives us a chance to PLAY and PRACTICE which is invaluable to a team with so many players coming back.

Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it has more to do with when you make the NIT

Mar 13, 2017, 12:10 PM

2014 was a younger team with all underclassmen as starters that exceeded expectations. Had a breakout player with KJ. For that team it was a step in the right direction.

This year there were high expectations based upon the words of the coach himself. It clearly was a year being pointed to with the new facilities and three talented transfer additions. Three senior starters including a potential NBA first rounder. For this team the NIT is a disappointment.

I personally think the NIT is a good tournament. I like the way it rewards mid major regular season champs who happen to suffer upsets in their conference tourneys. These are by and large good basketball teams, including the Oakland team we'll play.

But it really comes down to when you make the NIT

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are right about that...

Mar 13, 2017, 12:20 PM

This is a much different time than 2014. Brownell didnt have near the detractors that he has now. I think, unless you make it to MSG for the final 4, its a no win situation. A win against Oakland and then the 3/6 seed winner is doing what you are 'supposed' to do. A loss to one of them, and it is a setback for an already fragile program.

But i'd love to see us get on a run and have some momentum going into next year

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too. While it is a consolation prize,

Mar 13, 2017, 12:26 PM

winning the NIT would be a high water mark in our history. It is a national tournament against good competition. It is a chance for some redemption from an agonizing year.

yes true

Mar 13, 2017, 1:49 PM [ in reply to I think it has more to do with when you make the NIT ]

this year teams like Clemson, Syracuse, Akron are disappointed. While teams like Iowa should be excited (they are in a similar position to 2014 Clemson)

Get outta here Tim Bourret.***

Mar 13, 2017, 12:11 PM

null

haha i wish...***

Mar 13, 2017, 12:14 PM

NIT = Independence/Blue Turf Bowl***

Mar 13, 2017, 12:12 PM

wrong... more like the belk bowl***

Mar 13, 2017, 12:14 PM

Or Gator***

Mar 13, 2017, 12:15 PM

correct***

Mar 13, 2017, 12:17 PM

If you win it = Belk bowl, lose before MSG...

Mar 13, 2017, 12:33 PM [ in reply to wrong... more like the belk bowl*** ]

and that is Independence Bowl territory.

Re: NIT = Independence/Blue Turf Bowl***

Mar 13, 2017, 1:12 PM [ in reply to NIT = Independence/Blue Turf Bowl*** ]

NAT wrong again I am shocked.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

If we loose to Oakland there will be plenty of tears

Mar 13, 2017, 12:17 PM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

this is true...

Mar 13, 2017, 12:18 PM

NIT could be a program builder, but it could be (especially for a fragile program such as ours) a detriment if we lay an egg tomorrow night and lose to Oakland

Looking to next year

Mar 13, 2017, 12:29 PM

the most important thing is the foreign trip this summer. That was the springboard for the 2014 team that exceeded expectations. It's a chance to integrate the newcomers in a competitive environment with a ton of extra practice time. A good NIT could make that even more significant

Re: this is true...

Mar 13, 2017, 12:37 PM [ in reply to this is true... ]

True! Better win!

We win on a last second FG to beat the Raiders...

Mar 13, 2017, 12:19 PM [ in reply to If we loose to Oakland there will be plenty of tears ]

mark it down...

null

Re: If we loose to Oakland there will be plenty of tears

Mar 13, 2017, 12:44 PM [ in reply to If we loose to Oakland there will be plenty of tears ]

And complaining!

If we had played in the SEC, we would be in the dance.

Mar 13, 2017, 12:24 PM

nm

Of course, we're undefeated in the SEC***

Mar 13, 2017, 12:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FYI: only 4 football teams have a chance at the crystal

Mar 13, 2017, 12:59 PM

so 4/128 = 3.1%, 12 total elite teams if you were to include the New Year's 6 or 12/128 = 9.3%. Hth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

The NIT is a disappointment for this team, at this stage

Mar 13, 2017, 1:05 PM

for Brownell.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

seems to be the NIT is all about timing and attitude of

Mar 13, 2017, 1:05 PM

the team making it....if you have a team that expected to play for more then it can be a let down and they simply don't bring the energy and emotion needed to win...if it's a team that comes out of no where and exceeds expectations then they make approach it differently....like we did the Music City Bowl or Peach Bowl against LSU. I'm really not certain which team will show up for us tomorrow night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: seems to be the NIT is all about timing and attitude of

Mar 13, 2017, 1:08 PM

Who wants the game more Oakland or Clemson? Will the fans actually care enough to come out?

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic