Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So all of you who said going 11-1 in the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 68
| visibility 1

So all of you who said going 11-1 in the ACC

Nov 9, 2012, 1:09 PM

would put Clemson in the NC or a BCS bowl without any doubt....raise your hand. We know there were a few of you back in June making this case....raise your hand now so we can give you a big "I told you so"....

Anyone who defends this pathetic conference that we're in, if we go 11-1 and have to fire up the dang fax machines to get an invite (which is looking like the case), is fired from Tnet Trump style....

Message was edited by: CUAtTheFinishLine®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I must have missed a recent BCS bowl selection show

Nov 9, 2012, 1:11 PM

Who made the Sugar instead of us?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I must have missed a recent BCS bowl selection show

You didn't read....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Missed it. Did the fat lady sing?***

Re: Missed it. Did the fat lady sing?***

You didn't read either...

In response to your inquiry, I didn't make ANY predictions..

Nov 9, 2012, 1:15 PM

and I'm not going to now, either. Win-win-and win. Then we'll see.

Re: In response to your inquiry, I didn't make ANY predictions..

Nov 9, 2012, 1:18 PM

What I'm saying is, we're 8-1 right now and the only one loss teams we're ahead of are Louisianna freaking Tech, Rutgers and dang Toledo. There are 3 or 4 2 loss teams ahead of us.

At 8-1 and eventually 11-1 there should be ZERO doubt about a BCS invite. With the ACC, that is not the case.

We and FSU have by far the worst SOS in the top 25....

This year. 'Times they are a changin'.***

Nov 9, 2012, 1:20 PM

In the NC? That's crazy.

I do think that would put us in the BCS.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In the NC? That's crazy.

Nov 9, 2012, 1:14 PM

It will not be a given. Why are we not ranked where the other 1 loss teams are?

Strength of schedule sucks this year.***

Nov 9, 2012, 5:00 PM

Re: Strength of schedule sucks this year.***

Nov 9, 2012, 5:08 PM

That's exactly the point.

Re: Strength of schedule sucks this year.***

Nov 9, 2012, 6:56 PM

In fairness, nobody knew Auburn would be this bad. But when you know that the outside perception of your conference isn't exactly stellar, and you still pad your out of conference schedule with Ball St. and Furman, you better be sure you go undefeated.

Let's also lump in all those who said after the loss to FSU

Nov 9, 2012, 1:12 PM

that the conference race was not over and that FSU would have two losses this year.

The Win Over USUCK is all we Need

Nov 9, 2012, 1:14 PM

Have faith

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Win Over USUCK is all we Need

Nov 9, 2012, 1:18 PM

Why do we even need a win over USUCK at 11-1 to jump 2 loss teams? Answer that and you prove my point...

Explain the BCS computers and you'll have your answer.

Nov 9, 2012, 1:21 PM

Good luck.

Re: Explain the BCS computers and you'll have your answer.

Nov 9, 2012, 1:24 PM

right....and they are based on what? SOS and record. SOS has to with what? The conferene you play in. Case closed.

Actually, the ultimate root of all SOS calculations is

Nov 9, 2012, 1:28 PM

is the preseason polls. Although as the year drags on performance does weigh more heavily, the preseason poll bias is never completely eliminated. So, rather than conference, I would say "voter bias" is the most important component. That is why so many SEC teams are ranked so high.

Re: Actually, the ultimate root of all SOS calculations is

Nov 9, 2012, 1:32 PM

Yeah you could make the argument for voter bias if the rest of the ACC could actually beat teams from other conferences isntead of losing to Northwestern, Syracuse, Pitt, and Vanderbilt.

How you make an argument that the voters are being bias against the ACC when the ACC is absolutely 100% pathetic?

You said 11-1 wouldn't do it (I guess). But 11-1 would have

Nov 9, 2012, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: The Win Over USUCK is all we Need ]

to include a win over SC.

So anyone who said 11-1 would do it, was factoring in that The Tigers would have 2 victories over the SEC.

Re: You said 11-1 wouldn't do it (I guess). But 11-1 would have

Nov 9, 2012, 1:24 PM

Which in the end won't even get us to the top 5 due to ACC games and SOS

Actually, I think I agree with you. If SC sucked this year

Nov 9, 2012, 1:29 PM

I doubt winning out against MD, NCState, and a hypothetically bad SC team would get us in the BCS. And that would be due to a very smelly ACC.

Re: Actually, I think I agree with you. If SC sucked this year

Nov 9, 2012, 1:33 PM

This is the perfect point. When we have to rely on a win over SC with 1 loss to get in a BCS bowl, something is very wrong.

This whole argument is predicated on us having the same record

Nov 9, 2012, 1:37 PM

with an SEC or Big 12 schedule. That is a HUGE leap.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Faith is never, in and of itself, sufficient.

Nov 9, 2012, 1:26 PM [ in reply to The Win Over USUCK is all we Need ]

the impotant component is the object of one's faith. Faith in the aerodynamics of a 747 to keep me aloft is well placed. Faith in a pair of cardboard wings I made myself is not. So, what is to be the object of our faith here? A mysterious and heretofore unfathomable BCS "formula" that never seems to get it right? I think we would be better off with a set of cardboard wings.

Maybe balloons? Easier up, easier down.***

Nov 9, 2012, 1:31 PM

A BCS Bowl gam - hand raised. Not MNC game however at 11-1

Nov 9, 2012, 1:16 PM

without winning the conference and not in all years. Only 2 teams can play in MNC game and they are usually undefeated. That doesn't mean 11-1 will never get you into the MNC game if you win the ACC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So all of you who said going 11-1 in the ACC

Nov 9, 2012, 1:17 PM

Try again after the next 4 weeks or so.

Since USuCk sucks, we better hang 70 on lamecocks!***

Nov 9, 2012, 1:20 PM

I think we win, but not by that big a margin.

Nov 9, 2012, 1:30 PM

I would say we will win by 7 to 10 points. I still have little faith in our defense to step up and stop a quality program.

If we win out we will be in a BCS game. You're a little

Nov 9, 2012, 1:26 PM

premature in your blustering at the moment.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we win out we will be in a BCS game. You're a little

Nov 9, 2012, 1:34 PM

Not the way it is looking....

You mean not the way you are hoping. ******

Nov 9, 2012, 1:36 PM

null

?***

Nov 9, 2012, 1:38 PM

Keep in mind that winning out, including whatever bowl we

Nov 9, 2012, 1:37 PM [ in reply to If we win out we will be in a BCS game. You're a little ]

happen to play in, would leave us in the top 5 at the end of the season and very likely top 5 starting out next year.

Clemson is proving its mettle on the field regardless of who we play and thereby solidifying ourselves as a top program. We are playing ourselves into the position of not being judged by our competition but instead being judged by satisfying the expectations of pollsters (see the SEC as an example of this phenomenon).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It may not be the case this year

Nov 9, 2012, 1:27 PM

but its possible. and I think we do go to a BCS bowl this year without a doubt if we win out.

I dont think anyone said going 11-1 would put us in a MNC

Nov 9, 2012, 1:31 PM

game. That's just silly talk. To begin with going 11-1 means we didnt play in the ACCCG. But going 11-1 will get us into a BCS bowl.

I don't want to come off as negative or anything, but...

Nov 9, 2012, 1:33 PM

would we be 8-1 had we played a more difficult schedule?

And if not, wouldn't that be an argument for being in the ACC, because it makes our lives more enjoyable than say... being a coot fan and having no realistic shot at ever ever winning the conference even with a good team?

Clemson would not have even sniffed the SEC title over the last decade. We SHOULD have won the ACC several times. I say we have a more reasonable path to a happy season in the ACC. Our defense sucks, and we are 8-1. Go figure.

Our defense sucks?

Nov 9, 2012, 3:04 PM

Somehow we still have managed to have a defense ranked in the top 45 (I'm not sure exactly where we are, I think 44) in points per game allowed. Don't give me this weak offenses stuff either. VA Tech scored less on Clemson than they did against FSU

Our defense sucks. Our competition has been terrible.

Nov 9, 2012, 6:49 PM

FSU is a good team, but they absolutely torched our defense. They have improved, but they have improved against teams with losing records and Duke.

The day Clemson fans think that a defense giving up over 400 yards to teams with losing records doesn't suck is the day when Clemson fans have totally lost touch with expectations.

We are a good team because our offense is insane. They can score on probably anyone in the country. So while our offense is the best offense in Clemson football history, our defense sucks. I just hope they can turn it around in time for SCAR. SCAR isn't nearly as scary as they looked early in the year.

Who said we were in the NC with one loss?

Nov 9, 2012, 1:35 PM

So, if we get a BCS bowl bid as an at large, with one loss, with the ACC being about as bad as it has ever been, will you shut the $#@% up about this forever?

Don't answer...I think we know.

null

The argument over the summer was whether a 1-loss

Nov 9, 2012, 1:51 PM

ACC champion would have a shot at one of the 4 semi-final spots when the playoff scenario starts in 2014. Many said "never", while many said "why not." It would of course depend on the strength of the other teams that the 1-loss champion was up against. Based on 2012 right now, there would be 4 undefeated teams so it would be moot and undeserving. If FSU hadn't lost to NC State it would be one of those four. If any of those top four teams other than Alabama were to lose from here on out, and FSU were to finish with just the 1 loss and win the ACC, they would likely still be in 5th place as an undefeated Louisville would likely make it in as an undefeated league champion, but FSU would leapfrog all of the SEC teams with a loss in front of them in terms of filling the 4th slot otherwise.

Oh yeah. THAT argument I remember. Thank you. ******

Nov 9, 2012, 1:52 PM

null

Re: The argument over the summer was whether a 1-loss

Nov 9, 2012, 1:59 PM [ in reply to The argument over the summer was whether a 1-loss ]

During that argument, there were some who said that an 11-1 or 12-0 Clemson would ALWAYS be in that top 4 every season and some even went as far as a 10-2 team making it.

We made the argument that the ACC was not string enough for that to happen and that more often than not a 1 loss Clemson team would get the shaft. Now own up to being wrong.

Not only were they wrong about top 4, they're wrong about even being a BCS shoein.

To draw a phrase from your previous posts...

Nov 9, 2012, 2:17 PM

You didn't read...

Nov 9, 2012, 1:36 PM

Going 11-1 in any other conference won't get you to the NC either. Look at how many undefeated teams there are.

raises hand with regards to 11-1 and a bcs birth***

Nov 9, 2012, 1:57 PM

Get back to me if we go 12-1 and missed a BCS bowl as..

Nov 9, 2012, 2:52 PM

only then can there be any complaint. If that happens my answer will be: WE BEAT THE CHICKENS and we won our bowl game I don't care about the bcs or the sos. If our sos was harder we may not be 12-1. I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Get back to me if we go 12-1 and missed a BCS bowl as..

Nov 9, 2012, 2:55 PM

If we were 12-1 it means we won the ACCCG and would be in the Orange anyway. That doesn't make sense.

You didn't understand his post. ******

null

By "missed" I mean after bowls played. Unless we win the....

Nov 9, 2012, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Get back to me if we go 12-1 and missed a BCS bowl as.. ]

non BCS bowl WE have no complaint about missing BCS bowl, but again if we beat SC and another SEC team in Chick filet this year I could care less about whether we play in a BCS bowl.

Re: By "missed" I mean after bowls played. Unless we win the....

Nov 9, 2012, 3:21 PM

Still the principle of the whole thing. We should never miss one at 11-1....

I will tell you why you can't say "I told you so"

Nov 9, 2012, 3:01 PM

It is because before the season everyone expected Auburn to be a good win for us. If Auburn is 6-3 right now then we are ranked ahead of those 2 loss teams. Same with FSU having to play Savannah State and Murray State. Right now Boston College is the only ACC win giving us less SOS than Auburn. Even Ball State is a bigger win than Auburn. Our problem isn't the ACC, it's the fact that Auburn tanked this year.

Re: I will tell you why you can't say "I told you so"

So what you're saying is wins in the ACC doesn't help our SOS enough to get BCS bowls because the rest of the ACC sucks and we need OOC opponents who are ranked?

Gotcha....So now we're Boise State....

Message was edited by: CUAtTheFinishLine®

You can twist my words if you would like to

Nov 9, 2012, 3:08 PM

All I am saying is that when people said that before the season they were counting Auburn as being a big win. We also play the weak teams early every year (Ball State and Furman) where the SEC puts a weak opponent on the back of their schedule. Their strength of schedule will be hurt by these games before the season is over. Also the ACC is better than the Big 10 and the Big East this year if you would like to compare everything.

Re: You can twist my words if you would like to

Nov 9, 2012, 3:28 PM

They weren't counting anyone. We were talking about the 4 team playoff that doesn't start until 2014. Saying they were counting Auburn is just false.

Well, What do you want us to do about it

Nov 9, 2012, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: I will tell you why you can't say "I told you so" ]

CU? Nobody is right now, and nobody is going to be right until after the season, remember this is college football and nothing is for sure...

Re: Well, What do you want us to do about it

Nov 9, 2012, 3:29 PM

Just bringing it up for discussion...We took a lot of flack in June and now what we are saying is haunting us down the stretch in the BCS rank.

I agree. ACC is pathetic.***

Nov 9, 2012, 3:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson is bascially a lock for BCS game if we win out

Nov 9, 2012, 3:25 PM

You will have this

Oregon vs Neb in Rose
KSU vs Bama in title
FSU vs Lou Orange
Sugar LSU vs ND

Fiesta would be Clemson vs Who else is left

Big 12 doesn't have another team with 1 or less losses. OU 10-2

Big 10 LOL
Big east LOL
Pac 12, no one with 1 loss, Oregon plays both Stanford and Oregon st

So please tell us who gets in over Clemson?????

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson is bascially a lock for BCS game if we win out

Nov 9, 2012, 3:43 PM

Well for one thing, Oregon will jump Kstate. Oregon plays in a CCG and will have more wins.

I could see ND jumping Kstate as well with ND's USC game remaining and ND brand pulling them ahead.

Then it would be up to voters whether Oregon or ND goes to face Bama. And this all assuming they stay undefeated. It will likely be Bama vs Oregon....

NC - Bama vs Oregon
Orange - FSU vs Louisville
Fiesta - Kstate vs ND/At Large
Sugar - Florida/LSU/UGA vs ND/At Large
Rose - Oregon St. vs Neb

I don't see Fiesta pulling Clemson over ND due to travel and the ND brand and ratings.

So it really comes down to who will the Sugar grab? Clemson or Oklahoma?

And my point is, it should come down that. If we weren't ranked behind 2 loss teams it would be between Oklahoma and someone else. We're ranked behind 2 loss teams and behind every 1 loss team that isn't in the MAC or Big east or some BS due to the ACC SOS....

The final point is, those who said we had nothing to worry about at 11-1 are wrong.

I'm not saying we don't get picked. Not saying that all. 75% chance we do probably. But it isn't 100% like people were saying.

It Becomes a Moot Point Once We Beat USUCK

Nov 9, 2012, 4:46 PM

Clemson Will Jump 2-3 Spots in Human Polls 2/3 of BCS Rank and Will Then Jump 4-5 Spots in Computers after beating USUCK, who the computers LOVE. Win and we are In.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2012, 4:49 PM

are we already 11-1? This might be a bridge that we never have to cross.

Every year is different

Nov 9, 2012, 4:58 PM

This year it is entirely likely a 1 loss SEC team would not be in the NCC so I don't think conference really matters for that. We can debate what would have happened had we gone undefeated but we will won't know that until the end of the season.

We WILL be in a BCS game if we win out. How high we are in the BCS is irrelevant now.

Everybody knows Trump would say,

Nov 9, 2012, 5:13 PM

"I told you so" and then "You're fired"!

Just Sayin'

we haven't gone 11-1 yet

Nov 9, 2012, 7:04 PM

I sure hope it happens, but many thought we would go 12-0 last year after an 8-0 start, then we went downhill from there. I'm not saying that will happen again, but I am saying lets learn our leason and not start talking 11-1 until it happens. We should beat Maryland, but I've seen past season where we should beat them yet fell to them. We should beat NC State, but we shouldhave beatn them last year. And South Carolina is still a BCS top ten team. Its going to take every thing we got to beat them. Lets just enjoy each game one game at a time. Right now we are going to the Death Valley Bowl to play a team from up north with a turtle mascot. Go Tigers!

Don't forget that of all those SEC teams ranked.............

Nov 9, 2012, 7:13 PM

ahead of us only two can go to BCS games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lost in all this is one salient point...

Nov 9, 2012, 8:25 PM

Assuming we win out, the discussion is whether we, Oklahoma or a one-loss Notre Dame would be fighting for an at-large spot.

Pause and reflect on that just for a second, before dissolving into the same old tired "ACC $ucks" diatribe.

Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Clemson vying for the same spots. On the same footing.

OK, back to your argument.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 68
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic