Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Germany’s low COVID-19 fatality rate (1.6%) due to Corona Taxis with Medics, younger..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Germany’s low COVID-19 fatality rate (1.6%) due to Corona Taxis with Medics, younger..

Apr 6, 2020, 10:09 AM

patients initially with avg age of 46, earlier testing & distancing.

The medics go to the sick patient who’s been in bed 5-7 days at home & make decisions on whether to admit them into the hospital system.

And the lower age of the sick, at first, is due to their sick being skiers who had been in Italy & other nearby countries’ in ski slopes.

Our medium age is like 69 & fatality rate at 2.9%.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is also some discussion that Germany is counting

Apr 6, 2020, 10:17 AM

their virus fatalities differently than other countries which contributes to their lower mortality rates. I have read some articles that say that if a German COVID-19 patient had a severe preexisting condition and dies, that in a lot of cases they attribute the death to the underlying condition and not the virus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i saw that to and it makes sense

Apr 6, 2020, 11:22 AM

It explains why Germany’s rate is an outlier on the low side

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is also some discussion that Germany is counting

Apr 6, 2020, 12:25 PM [ in reply to There is also some discussion that Germany is counting ]

I have heard this as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Germany is pulling a “Volkswagen” fudging numbers

Apr 6, 2020, 12:39 PM [ in reply to There is also some discussion that Germany is counting ]

Just my gut, based on nothing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting

Apr 6, 2020, 10:27 AM

So it is possibly 16 times more deadly than the flu in a good situation. Anyway, what does it all come down to...age? Italy has an older population and they are getting rocked.

testing overrated

Apr 6, 2020, 11:59 AM

Testing has low correlation to fatality rate. If it did Japan with a test rate of 500 per capita woudlnt have one of the lowest fatality rate despite having a high elderly population. Lack of testing the the US wont affect fatality greatly. Masks however seem to help. The countries that force everyone to wear masks,not N95 just any face covering, are performing much better.

I’m wondering if Asian populations may already have some

Apr 6, 2020, 12:42 PM

Antibodies/ immunity within their population.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Germany’s low COVID-19 fatality rate...

Apr 6, 2020, 12:24 PM

There are several possible explanations for this statistical anomaly. It could be that the Germans are more likely to test mildly symptomatic patients than most countries of the world. That seems to be the reason most experts believe. It could be that German healthcare is "better" (I doubt this). It could be that Germans have better immunity (I doubt this). It could be that German physicians are less likely to attribute a death to Covid-19. I have heard rumors that this may be the case- For instance, if a patient has COPD, but dies of Covid-19 infection the german physicians are more likely to put the cause of death as "COPD".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Germans are responsive to authority

Apr 6, 2020, 2:33 PM

and they trust their government...."...a trusted government whose social distancing guidelines are widely observed."

their government has made rational and quick decisions

they've tested people - for free - at a higher rate than other countries

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/world/europe/germany-coronavirus-death-rate.html

Re: Germans are responsive to authority

Apr 6, 2020, 3:02 PM

This has nothing to do with lower death rates from Covid-19. The Covid-19 death rate is the % of infections that end up with the infected patient dying. The things you speak of can lower the rate at which people infected, but not the Covid-19 death rate.

Apr 6, 2020, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Germans are responsive to authority ]

Agreed... They were very forward thinking by closing their borders approximately 45 days after we closed

Almost makes you wonder why the NYT’s hasn’t given our government credit for making quick rational decisions...

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/covid-19-germany-borders-closed-to-foreign-nationals-armed-police-enforce-controls

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2020, 10:25 PM

lol potd

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Germany’s low COVID-19 fatality rate (1.6%) due to Corona Taxis with Medics, younger..

Apr 6, 2020, 11:04 PM

Some experts believe its because, unlike the US and some other countries, the majority of Germans have had a TB vaccine:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-04-02/fewer-coronavirus-deaths-seen-in-countries-that-mandate-tb-vaccine

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic