Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Georgia Tech Athletics
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Georgia Tech Athletics

Feb 6, 2019, 10:49 PM

What the heck has happened. I remember as a kid 80's 90's they always had a solid basketball program. You would think you could just recruit the Atlanta area and field a Top 25 team. Football was usually solid 8-9 wins most years. Their Baseball program also was one of the best in the ACC. Georgia is a hotbed for baseball talent.

I get it's a tough school, but one would think they probably lower academic requirements like everyone else for prospective high school athletes. I get fan support isnt great, but I imagine alot of that has to do with all 3 major sports being very subpar. Just my guess is they have very poor Athletic leadership or a President that refuses to see the benefits a successful sports program can have at a university

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope their former AD learned his lesson***

Feb 6, 2019, 10:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Georgia Tech Athletics

Feb 6, 2019, 11:28 PM

Apparently a school in a neighboring state stole their athletic director about a dozen years ago, while muttering something about revenge for the coach Tech stole a hundred years earlier...

yeah they kinda suck in pretty much everything now***

Feb 6, 2019, 11:31 PM

Their problem isn't academics in my opinion.

Feb 6, 2019, 11:39 PM

Sure, GT is a really good school, but like 99.9% of all division 1 schools, their requirements for athletes aren't nearly that of the general student body.

I will say that they don't have nearly as many majors as a lot of universities. They are so focused on engineering that they don't have a lot else. Here is a list of their majors and minors. As you can see, most of the fluff is only available as a minor.

https://www.gatech.edu/academics/bachelors-degree-programs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

You're right, and that coupled with the fact that

Feb 7, 2019, 7:39 AM

it's in downtown Atlanta.

Most of their recruits either don't want to go to campus like that, OR enter a major that they offer.

They were in the 04 NCAA tourney championship

Feb 6, 2019, 11:56 PM

and won the 09 ACC fball championship* plus won their devision a couple of times since. There was only so much they could do with coach PJ in football, and they haven't been able to find any stability in bball coaches. Plus they got hit with those NCAA violations a few years ago, probably didn't help.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 7:44 AM

Sometimes things just don't click. We had a multi-year drought ourselves beginning around the time Tech won their NC.

I have heard their business school won't

Feb 7, 2019, 7:49 AM

let athletics lower their standards. Between that and engineering, where can you place athletes? Stanford might be easier to find a path for the not gifted.

Feb 7, 2019, 8:01 AM

Shrug, programs ebb and flow.

GT is still punching above their weight but it isn't as high as it once was. However, they are within their current means... aka not a raging dumpster fire. They are just one coach-find away for a Basketball elite team but those are always hard to find (see how Virginia reinvigorated). At least with Tech, they seem to try to do it the "right" way. Aka not cheat like UNCheaters, Louisville, etc.

Dumpster Fire Example: Maryland. Former power, now a date for Rutgers know for killing students. Decent football, could rival the best at times. Basketball was a power. Non-revenue sports were respectable. Now they are a debtor's prison dependent on OSU/PSU alumni to fill up their stadium.

(Smaller) Dumpster fire: Louisville. Right now U of L leveraged half the University and most of the City to case "greatness", cheated, got caught, and is now trying to find out how they can pay for things without a lot of hope to win big.

Feb 7, 2019, 12:36 PM

Bobby Cremins made them who they are in roundball. I think they will get there again, just not sure if it will be with Pastner. The guy has yet to prove he can recruit or coach.

Football, well it was fun while it lasted with Paul Johnson but they're now pouring a lot of money in their football program. Geoff Collins is promoting they football like crazy. I don't think the man sleeps. They will get good in football again, just watch.

Baseball, they are always good in baseball but always lose early in the tournament.

Tech is tough to get in and tough to get out. I have family that went there. I keep up with the school and athletics. There is no excuse for them to not get good talent there.

Feb 7, 2019, 12:43 PM

Nerds. Thats your answer.

They would rather idolize video games and comic book culture in their past time than have an excellent athletic program that brings in millions of dollars of revenue to the school.

But, they are going to GT to learn how to build nuclear reactors, not become great businessmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98nNpzE6gIs

Calculus is required gor all Fr. Including athletes***

Feb 7, 2019, 12:46 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic