Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Georgia Southern Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 51

Georgia Southern Game

Jul 30, 2018, 8:09 PM

GSU BACKGROUND. I'm pretty sure most of you haven't followed us.

I was at GSC when they hired Erk Russell to restart football & Erk Russell was our first HC since WW2.
Without Erk, GSC would likely have never had the success in football or growth that they achieved. Starting as a club team with no football stadium, played on the Statesboro Highschool field, or true football facilities he had GSC in FCS in 3 years with a winning record.

GSC then built the 18,000 seat Paulson Stadium on campus.
Erk entered FCS in 1984 and just missed the Playoffs with an 8-3 record. In 1985 Paul Jonson became the OC under Erk & installed his Spread Option attack (flex) and GSC won its first of 6 FCS national Titles. Erk retired in 1989 winning his 3rd NC and was the first HC in 100 years to go 15-0 in one season. In FCS he had an 82% winning record, was in every playoff from 85 -89, played for 4 FCS National Championships winning 3.

I have to admit that before Erk the 5,400-student campus was run down. Bringing football, pride & notoriety to GSC & led it to gain UNIVERSITY status. A great deal of money from the State has made GSU a beautiful campus with 22,000 students.

Paulson Stadium was enlarged to 27,000 with a new 56,000 Sq. Ft. football facility, in the east end zone when GSU moved to FBS in the G5.

Paul Johnson became HC for 5 years from 1997 to 2001. He had an 86% winning record, Made the playoffs every year he was at GSC, played for 3 National Championships winning 2. Then went on to NAVY.

GSU switching to the Pistol Option

GSU now runs the PISTOL OPTION brought in 4 years ago by HC Fritz. GSUs first year 2 years in FBS were very excellent. 9-3 in the first year (not bowl eligible) 10-3 in his second year and a Bowl win. He moved on after his 2nd year. Fritz even took UGA into overtime.

GSU’s record, for the last 2 years, has been miserable by GSU or any standards. GSU has had 3 Head Coaches in 2 years all running the PISTOL OPTION. We will be running the PISTOL OPTION again this year under a new HC.

*(Clemson) ????????????
I really have no idea on how GSU will do this year based on the last 2 years. I’m not really fan of the Pistol Option. I prefer the PJ style of Flex Option. Still if we give you a good game, go 9-3 & go to bowl I could learn to like it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Erk Russell was the heart & soul of the talented UGA teams

Jul 30, 2018, 8:33 PM

which Clemson played in the early 1980's. As UGA Defensive Coordinator, even the offensive stars like Belue and Herschel relied on Russell's fire - he brought it every game. A lot like BV.

One great story I heard on Erk Russell from a Vandy asst coach or player at the Savannah QB Club went something like this:

During this time in the late 70's early 80's Erk was buff, crazy and well crazy. It was typical of Erk to head butt UGA defenders before each game so blood always covered his bald head. At half-time, UGA is shellacking Vandy yet again, and the new Vandy HC tries to fire up his troops in a half-time speech by shouting: "You're playing like a bunch of wus$ies!! If I need to walk out of this locker room after half-time and knock the $hit out of Coach Dooley to show you guys how to take care of business, I'll be glad to do it!" Dead silence ensued among the academically-motivated Vandy players. So the HC took it to the next level. "If I need to leave this locker room and knock the $hit out of Erk Russell, I'll do it!" After a few snickers, one player raised his hand, the coach calls on him and he states: "Coach you may be able to take Coach Dooley, but Erk Russell will mess you up real bad." The speech ended. And after half-time, the Vandy beat-down continued.

Regardless of who you pull for, and we all know there's only one Clemson, Erk Russell was a great man. He was famous for his passion and his hundreds of quips like "Do The Right Thing" and "Get After Their As$" (GATA).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Erk Russell was the heart & soul of the talented UGA teams

Jul 30, 2018, 8:51 PM

Thanks, it's nice that he is remembered even as a Thuga DC.

I never heard that story but it does fit his style.

He was a great motivator at Southern on and off the field. He calmed down a lot at Southern. His wife forbid him to but heads with the players anymore.

Re: Georgia Southern Game

Jul 30, 2018, 8:43 PM

Now that I gave you that wasted post above let's get down to it.

GSUfans.com has 3600 members of which their are about 10 post on TalonTalk.

We haven't had any good trash talkers visit us in 2 years.

I know you Clapson fans have got to have some. We would love some on this board to visit GSUFANS.com (Talon Talk Trash Talk Board) and rip into us.

Some on the TT board said you'd never come because now that you're super stars in P5 FBS you'd be to arrogant to visit. I think a lot of fans just like to banter no matter who the opponent!

So I just thought I'd throw it out to your boards trash talkers.

If you do stop by TT we'd rather you infer things than just use a lot of profanity. Tell them TALON invited you and really call out Pike51. Pike is turncoat GSU fan that gave up on the board because of the last 2 bad years when things got tough.

https://www.gsufans.com/tsc/forum.php

Jul 30, 2018, 8:54 PM

I have bachelor's from Clemson and an MBA from Southern and a daughter who graduated form Southern. Believe it or not, most Clemson fans have no beef with Ga Southern and liked it when Southern took down Richt (and nearly took down UGA in Athens) in last game before Richt was fired.

As far as point spread, it will be whatever Swinney allows or wants it to be. The worst outcome would be Swinney allowing Trevor Lawrence, WR's and RB's to put up 60+. But Clemson coaches are populists and every Clemson player will play, including 3-4 QB's, all fifth string safeties, you name it. After 1st half shut-out, Clemson takes little pride in keeping opponents score down. Coaches are much more into making sure everyone gets P.T.

Ga Southern has fallen on hard times. Glad you have a new coach and hope you guys get it together.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2018, 9:04 PM

*(I say this just as a GSU fan with no way to back it up with current facts because of the last 2 years)

You wont drop 60+ points on GSU and it will be closer than you think.

The outcome?
The game hasn't been played yet so the score is 0 to 0 at this point.

Jul 31, 2018, 2:08 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

You are kidding yourself. It will be over by the first quarter.

Jul 31, 2018, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Georgia Southern Game ]

Our third string qb and third string defense will be in the game by the fourth quarter. Not only are we that much better than you but unfortunately for you we are particularly good st the option. This will be slightly less rigorous then our walk through.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2018, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Georgia Southern Game ]

SocMan2® said:

I have bachelor's from Clemson and an MBA from Southern and a daughter who graduated form Southern. Believe it or not, most Clemson fans have no beef with Ga Southern and liked it when Southern took down Richt (and nearly took down UGA in Athens) in last game before Richt was fired.

As far as point spread, it will be whatever Swinney allows or wants it to be. The worst outcome would be Swinney allowing Trevor Lawrence, WR's and RB's to put up 60+. But Clemson coaches are populists and every Clemson player will play, including 3-4 QB's, all fifth string safeties, you name it. After 1st half shut-out, Clemson takes little pride in keeping opponents score down. Coaches are much more into making sure everyone gets P.T.

Ga Southern has fallen on hard times. Glad you have a new coach and hope you guys get it together.

Orange Blooded

When did you get your MBA from Southern?

Jul 30, 2018, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Georgia Southern Game ]

Is this real?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2018, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Georgia Southern Game ]

GSUsTALON said:

Now that I gave you that wasted post above let's get down to it.

I know you Clapson fans have got to have some. We would love some on this board to visit GSUFANS.com (Talon Talk Trash Talk Board) and rip into us.

Some on the TT board said you'd never come because now that you're super stars in P5 FBS you'd be to arrogant to visit. I think a lot of fans just like to banter no matter who the opponent!

So I just thought I'd throw it out to your boards trash talkers.

If you do stop by TT we'd rather you infer things than just use a lot of profanity. Tell them TALON invited you and really call out Pike51. Pike is turncoat GSU fan that gave up on the board because of the last 2 bad years when things got tough.

https://www.gsufans.com/tsc/forum.php

Come on now. I know that all of the Tiger Faithful cant all be nice to there opponent.

I think some of you should come over and try to beat the $h!t out of TT posters before GSU kicks the
the $h!t out of Clampson on their own field. I mean after the game you wont be any fun anymore!

www.gsufans.com (TalonTalk Board) It's free, meaning no money needed and we will even GIVE YOU hurt fallings for free also. You can't beat that deal on any other board.

Clemson people trash talking Ga Southern

Jul 31, 2018, 6:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Georgia Southern Game ]

is the same as parents heckling opponents at their 7 year old's muppet soccer game

Lost me at "Clapson"

Aug 1, 2018, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Georgia Southern Game ]

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Aug 1, 2018, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Georgia Southern Game ]

Jul 30, 2018, 8:50 PM

Erk had it going on at GSU. He won UGA national title, Dooley was just there for the ride. Chad Lunsford was on my high school team. He is a good guy. I hope he does well as head coach.

Jul 30, 2018, 8:54 PM

My God, I hope he does well too.

Southern Fans are fickle. They are use to winning. It would be hard to have another 2 years like the last 2.

Is being used to winning in I-AA football the equivilent of

Jul 30, 2018, 9:51 PM

being the tallest midget? Asking for @
cutigerbob

Re: Is being used to winning in I-AA football the equivilent of

Jul 30, 2018, 10:02 PM

CU2013® said:

being the tallest midget? Asking for @
cutigerbob

A little testy for a castrated Tiger.

I can understand that the lack of testosterone can make you that way.
If you regret the castration decision you made for yourself you can implant 2 marbles and take shots
to regain the manhood you lost!

Thank Me Latter

TALON

Is that the best you've got?

Jul 31, 2018, 6:48 PM

You have to resort to lame, teenage-style ad hominems (such as self castration) when attempting to "talk trash?" You clearly do go to Southern.

Sheesh, no wonder you want us on your boards, you need some lessons. But then again, I wouldn't expect much more out of a Georgia Southern student, considering you didn't have the brains to get into UGA or GT. At least you didn't resort to Kennesaw.

And even if you WERE bright enough to string together a halfway decent attempt at a shot at Clemson, what would you possibly go after? Athletics? Academics? National recognition in ANYTHING?

The only thing Southern is known for is having one of the highest STD rates among ALL colleges in America, so congrats on that.

Go back to beating up on chump programs like Valdosta State or Will Muschamp's Florida Gators. Shoot, you brag about having all this rich football history, yet it only took Ga State 1 year of having a football program at all to start whooping your sorry #####, and they've done it 3 years in a row!

Now run along, coot

Re: Is that the best you've got?

Aug 1, 2018, 12:14 PM

CU2013® said:

You have to resort to lame, teenage-style ad hominems (such as self castration) when attempting to "talk trash?" You clearly do go to Southern.

Sheesh, no wonder you want us on your boards, you need some lessons. But then again, I wouldn't expect much more out of a Georgia Southern student, considering you didn't have the brains to get into UGA or GT. At least you didn't resort to Kennesaw.
And even if you WERE bright enough to string together a halfway decent attempt at a shot at Clemson, what would you possibly go after? Athletics? Academics? National recognition in ANYTHING?
The only thing Southern is known for is having one of the highest STD rates among ALL colleges in America, so congrats on that.
Go back to beating up on chump programs like Valdosta State or Will Muschamp's Florida Gators. Shoot, you brag about having all this rich football history, yet it only took Ga State 1 year of having a football program at all to start whooping your sorry #####, and they've done it 3 years in a row!
Now run along, coot

To CU2013

Finally you gave it some effort.
Not bad,but I only have one whole piece of you work to grade out!

Keep trying I know you have it in you.

Re: Is that the best you've got?

Aug 3, 2018, 4:01 PM

Remember when Southern lost to State 3 years in a row?

Re: Is being used to winning in I-AA football the equivilent of

Jul 31, 2018, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Is being used to winning in I-AA football the equivilent of ]

oops cutigerbob®

Jul 31, 2018, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Georgia Southern Game ]

Southern fans were used to winning....until Ga State got a football program! 3 in a row for the Panthers!

My daughter graduated from Georgia Southern in 2017

Jul 30, 2018, 9:19 PM

I've been a GSU fan since she started there and love Statesboro. My youngest graduates high school in 2019 and plans on being an Eagle like her sister. Wish GSU would go back to I-AA. I hated the move up at the time and do so even more with each passing year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My daughter graduated from Georgia Southern in 2017

Jul 30, 2018, 9:29 PM

Moving up was a mistake. I think moving back down would be an even bigger one.

Jul 30, 2018, 9:40 PM

They wanted Erk to start in D2 but he was determined to start in 1aa FCS. It worked for us.
We will bounce back as we always do and we will do fine in the G5 FBS.

As I told BT- GSU has only been a G5 FBS team for 4 years and the first 2 years GSU went 9-3 and then 10-3 with a bowl victory. Its only been the last 2 years that GSU has done poorly with 3 different head coaches. Just goes to show important the HC and his Coaching staff is.I see that you guys have the best rated coaching staff in FBS & it shows!

Jul 30, 2018, 9:31 PM [ in reply to My daughter graduated from Georgia Southern in 2017 ]

I’m from SC. Moved to Statesboro in 1992. Fell in love with GS. Attended school there. Clemson is and will always be my favorite team. Hated to see GS on the schedule. I was a GS booster and a season ticket holder for many years. My first run in with GS AD TK changed that. Dude is a first class jerk. I’ll always love, watch and bleed blue. However, they’ll not get one more dime from me until that carpet bagger TK is gone. Go Tigers!!! Go Eagles!!!

Jul 30, 2018, 9:42 PM

I’m from SC. Moved to Statesboro in 1992. Fell in love with GS. Attended school there. Clemson is and will always be my favorite team. Hated to see GS on the schedule. I was a GS booster and a season ticket holder for many years. My first run in with GS AD TK changed that. Dude is a first class jerk. I’ll always love, watch and bleed blue. However, they’ll not get one more dime from me until that carpet bagger TK is gone. Go Tigers!!! Go Eagles!!!

Never met the man, but have heard a lot of Southern fans say the same thing about TK.

Jul 30, 2018, 9:33 PM [ in reply to My daughter graduated from Georgia Southern in 2017 ]

I've been a GSU fan since she started there and love Statesboro. My youngest graduates high school in 2019 and plans on being an Eagle like her sister. Wish GSU would go back to I-AA. I hated the move up at the time and dp so even more with each passing year.

There is something to be said about a true FCS large scale playoff system with a true NC.

However GSU has only been a G5 FBS team for 4 years and the first 2 years GSU went 9-3 and then 10-3 with a bowl victory. Its only been the last 2 years that GSU has done poorly with 3 different head coaches. Just goes to show important the HC and his Coaching staff is.

I see that you guys have the best rated coaching staff in FBS & it shows!

Jul 30, 2018, 9:53 PM [ in reply to My daughter graduated from Georgia Southern in 2017 ]

I'm from GA but most of my family hails from MD....was your daughter interested in Ga Southern when she was in high school? Where else did she look?

We were living in Georgia so she was only looking

Jul 30, 2018, 9:58 PM

at Georgia schools. It was GA Southern and KSU. There really wasn't a third choice for her. She hated Georgia State and Valdosta State was a non starter. Same with West Georgia.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We were living in Georgia so she was only looking

Jul 30, 2018, 10:04 PM

Thank God it was not Ga. State. (THE FAKE GSU) ;)

No kidding!***

Jul 30, 2018, 10:38 PM

Re: We were living in Georgia so she was only looking

Jul 31, 2018, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Re: We were living in Georgia so she was only looking ]

I would rather go to State than Southern

Nice

Jul 30, 2018, 10:05 PM [ in reply to We were living in Georgia so she was only looking ]

I'm from Peachtree City, and a lot of my classmates went to Southern. She made the right choice over KSU, West Ga, & Valdosta.

While I was at Clemson, my girlfriend started out at Ga State before transferring to UGA. State was really a cool (albeit, different) college experience. I can see why the urbam campus thing might turn a lot of people away, though

My sister is currently a senior at Georgia College. She likes it but you couldn't have paid me to go there.

You're right. Georgia State feels like you are in run down

Jul 30, 2018, 10:41 PM

office buildings which you kind of are or like something out of the Walking Dead. LOL I hated it and so did my daughter!

Re: You're right. Georgia State feels like you are in run down

Jul 30, 2018, 10:50 PM

I'll use that Walking Dead statement when we play State this year. Its given me some ideas!

Definitely a very polarizing school & campus...

Jul 31, 2018, 6:17 PM [ in reply to You're right. Georgia State feels like you are in run down ]

I currently live across from Oakland Cemetery, basically a few blocks from the GA State campus & freshman dorms. Been in this area for 2+ years now. I absolutely love living in this part of town, but I imagine it would be different as a college student (especially a young female.) I loved visiting my girlfriend on weekends, but I know she was ready to transfer when the time came

Jul 30, 2018, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Re: My daughter graduated from Georgia Southern in 2017 ]

CU2013® said:

I'm from GA but most of my family hails from MD....was your daughter interested in Ga Southern when she was in high school? Where else did she look?

Once she visited Southern.... well, no to visit others.

CU2013 - You never responded to the help I suggested for you in an above post.

You know the marbles and shots thing!

Jul 30, 2018, 11:31 PM

Where can I find the users names that are on this board at this time? Do you have that option or page?

Jul 31, 2018, 1:35 PM

Come on now. I know that all of the Tiger Faithful cant all be nice to there opponent.

I think some of you should come over and try to beat the $h!t out of TT posters before GSU kicks the
the $h!t out of Clampson on their own field. I mean after the game you wont be any fun anymore!

www.gsufans.com (TalonTalk Board) It's free, meaning no money needed and we will even GIVE YOU hurt fallings for free also. You can't beat that deal on any other board.

Jul 31, 2018, 6:34 PM

I feel like i walked into a Time Tunnel and wound up in grannys house listening on her 4-party telephone...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2018, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: My daughter graduated from Georgia Southern in 2017 ]

thanks for the reminder, GSUsTALON

Jul 31, 2018, 8:00 PM

I suggest GSU come into DV with the mindset to minimize injuries, run time off the clock to keep the score respectable, collect their paycheck, and ride the bus back home. If GSU puts their heart and sole into actually thinking they have a chance to compete, they will get hurt badly and it will end up costing them the rest of their season. Don't pull the tiger by its tail; it will not end well for you.

Jul 31, 2018, 9:33 PM

Well I see that TALON has made it onto the Tiger messageboard. You think he is a hoot just wait till oldfart shows up.

GATA

Aug 1, 2018, 12:09 PM

Listed below are your posts and the one you focused on. I think most would agree that you added nothing to this thread except a poor attempt to be sad witty. I don’t see anything you posted as directly related to the game.

I did ask for some banter so you have tried to meet that challenge, but then wine about my responses when yours are so lame. I do give you credit for one of your last posts. You have attempted to step up your game& for that I am grateful. For a while there I thought I was going to have to put up with your one-line, fragmented thought pattern!

*CU - being the tallest midget? Asking for @ utigerbob
TALON - A little testy for a castrated Tiger.
I can understand that the lack of testosterone can make you that way.
If you regret the castration decision you made for yourself you can implant 2 marbles and take shots
to regain the manhood you lost!

*CU- “ is the same as parents heckling opponents at their 7 year old's muppet soccer game”
*CU - Southern fans were used to winning....until Ga State got a football program! 3 in a row for the Panthers!
*CU – “I would rather go to State than Southern”

To GSUVally
Yes GSUVALLEY, I did make it on. They are a good groop but not much for trash talking - YET!
The game is still a while off but maybe we can get "a few" to answer the call!

Aug 1, 2018, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Georgia Southern Game ]

I suggest GSU come into DV with the mindset to minimize injuries, run time off the clock to keep the score respectable, collect their paycheck, and ride the bus back home. If GSU puts their heart and sole into actually thinking they have a chance to compete, they will get hurt badly and it will end up costing them the rest of their season. Don't pull the tiger by its tail; it will not end well for you.

When GSU was in FCS, I can't remember the Southern football team EVER suffering any more injuries playing "POWER 5".

Thanks Though
TALON

Aug 1, 2018, 12:36 PM

Well dude I know you guys are excited about playing
College football royalty but this game screams bore feast.
I say 35-42 to nothing at half and then 70% of the stadium will be gone by start of the 4th.

Aug 1, 2018, 1:13 PM

Winitall18 said:

Well dude I know you guys are excited about playing
College football royalty but this game screams bore feast.
I say 35-42 to nothing at half and then 70% of the stadium will be gone by start of the 4th.

Yes it will be an exciting win for GSU over the Tigers.

I'd get rid of the Royalty description. It implies that you were given the title instead of earning it.

I'm sure the Tigers will make the playoffs and win the NC even with a loss to GSU. I mean they have the whole year to make it back to the top 4.

Aug 1, 2018, 2:54 PM

LOL now you are just straight up lying.
I know you really don’t believe that and doubt seriously that you get much banter.
I just hope none of our players pull any muscles or get too hot.
Because that’s about the only worry.
Nobody is going to take the time to sign up on a Ga Southern board.
But you seem cool and sould be more than welcome here.
You know to see what it’s like to be a big Dog.

Aug 1, 2018, 3:05 PM

TALON knows all about Big Dogs so the opinions of Clemson Fans means nothing to him it is just like water off of a ducks back to TALON.

Take it from ValleyBoy because it is the truth when it comes to TALON.

GATA on TALON

Aug 1, 2018, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Georgia Southern Game ]

No not lying but optomistic.

What #### poor team doesn't believe in themselves?

Did you go into the Bama game thinking you would loose?

Aug 1, 2018, 4:02 PM

Yeah the team was loose maybe too loose

Aug 1, 2018, 4:06 PM

Winitall18 said:

Yeah the team was loose maybe too loose

WHAT?

Aug 1, 2018, 4:43 PM

You said going into the Bama game we were loose , it may have caused us to lose .

Aug 1, 2018, 4:47 PM

Winitall18 said:

You said going into the Bama game we were loose , it may have caused us to lose .

TALON - Did you go into the Bama game thinking you would loose?

Did I say something else in another post?

Aug 1, 2018, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Georgia Southern Game ]

Winitall18 said:

Sorry, I see it now.

Replies: 56
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic