Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General thoughts about 3-point shooting in college
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,815

General thoughts about 3-point shooting in college

Dec 9, 2017, 5:38 PM

basketball . . .

Having a very good, strong, reliable 3-point game is not a luxury in the game of college basketball in 2017/1018; it is an absolute necessity. Not having multiple players who drain the 3 with regularity is akin to a Clemson football team with "decent" wide receivers; it would be a crippling limitation. Lesser talented basketball teams don't hang in with the big boys with great defense, rebounding, or discipline; but they can do it with great 3-pt shooting, and you see it all of the time. Good teams are complete teams, and are solid on defense, rebounding, turnovers, free throws, movement on offense, discipline, etc. Weakness in any of those areas is trouble; but now, the 3-point shot is one of those things, and it is integral to any good offense.

This may be self-evident, and therefore pointless for most of you. I've just seen the game change and evolve over the years, and today's Clemson/Samford game really drove the point home.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: General thoughts about 3-point shooting in college

Dec 9, 2017, 5:58 PM

I agree. We had several times today where we selected a poor shot and it was too early in the clock. That is something you dont want to do. Going in an then out where possible or dishing to an open on the wing
Y

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2017, 9:55 PM

Our shot selection was fine. We just didn’t make them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2017, 6:00 PM

The extensive use of the 3-point shot in general the past decade has really changed the college game (and NBA too obviously). If any team gets hot they can hang in the game with anyone, but generally if the other team sticks to their gameplan the law of averages wins out in the end which happened today.

I don't think 3-point shooting is a "weakness" for this team as we are currently sporting a 37% percentage from range, but the early portion of the game today could lead you to believe that however. Nothing worse than a random Samford guard pulling up with a hand in his face and draining three's but it happens.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2017, 6:04 PM

To add, it is one of my biggest complaints with college basketball lately. With the longer shot clock in a critical part of a tie game, a team can hit a three, the other team gets a dunk, and then the other team puts up a hand in the face off-balance miracle three and has gone up by 4-points. Who is playing the better "basketball" though?

Doesn't matter really as that works both ways! Just have to adapt...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2017, 6:12 PM

It’s been that way since NCState won their last natty and has lead to the demise of the center position at all levels.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt. Before the 3-pt shot, basketball was becoming

Dec 9, 2017, 6:30 PM

a game dominated by big men who could muscle it in from underneath. Everything was getting more and more packed-in under the basket, and I understand the desire to "open it up" and also bring the smaller guys back into the picture. I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way, in a sense, and as you point out, has led to the demise of the once all-important play of a big, skilled center. I'd like to keep the 3-pt shot, but push it farther out, maybe even farther out than the NBA 3-pt line, so that is less a part of an ordinary offense and more of a high-risk play.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dec 9, 2017, 6:43 PM

3 pt shooting is like the fast pace 4/5 receiver and a qb in shot gun all the time. But 3pt shot has led to guards being taller at 6'3" plus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,815
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic