Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General Update: WATCH: Amazing Clemson Ring Story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

General Update: WATCH: Amazing Clemson Ring Story

May 28, 2015, 1:47 PM

WATCH: Amazing Clemson Ring Story

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Clemson Legend

May 28, 2015, 1:58 PM

I was honored to interview Mr Skardon as a part of my grad level history class while I was in school. He was a very nice man and very sharp considering his age. He has some heartbreaking stories though. I cannot imaging what those guys went through.

Re: A Clemson Legend

May 28, 2015, 3:06 PM

I was fortunate enough to meet a large group of men (and their wives) who were survivors of the Bataan Death March. The thing I most remember, was the wives telling me that, "they had no idea who they had been married to for the 40 years", having never heard anything from their husbands about what they had endured. The men only spoke about it at the reunion and that was how their wives learned about their husbands experience during that time.

I can only guess those stories of horror are seen as a

May 29, 2015, 12:28 PM

burden to others and/ or too hard to revisit. My Uncle was a P-47 pilot and was shot down in WWII. The only story I could get out of him was them stealing and eating the commandant's cat and that was only because it made folks laugh.

Re: I can only guess those stories of horror are seen as a

May 29, 2015, 1:25 PM

One of the "pillars" of my church was at Hamburger Hill in Viet Nam. He won't speak of that, either. The Horrors of War know no particular generation, but things like the Holocaust and Bataan Death March from WW II should have been unthinkable, even in times of War.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of it is unthinkable and simply cannot relate even

May 29, 2015, 1:36 PM

though I try. Viet Nam/present day is worse because it isn't nearly as black and white as WWII and it seems harder to empathize. They are all heroes equally. I'll never forgive Jane Fonda...

In this video, you'll see him referring to his POW experience but that is only because people criticized him for not having a college degree. He would have not mentioned it otherwise. He was, however, 110% die-hard Clemson fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAIGGFDWKDc

point for being a "chicken" meal

May 28, 2015, 3:36 PM

stupid #####....

Go Tigers

Chills

May 28, 2015, 9:39 PM

Incredible story. I got chill bumps at the end. Such an incredible soldier and outstanding representative of the men of South Carolina (and Clemson).

It should give perspective to younger Tigers when they're hustling through the stadium on Game Days. Give a nod to the older Tigers. Give them some space and respect. They've earned it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you Colonel - a testimony to faith & friends. Amazing.***

May 29, 2015, 7:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Great inspiring story! Thanks for your service Colonel!***

May 29, 2015, 8:37 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: General Update: WATCH: Amazing Clemson Ring Story

May 29, 2015, 10:24 AM

Col. Ben taught my Public Speaking class in 1976. I think about that every time I have to give a presentation and credit his guidance and patience. He was an outstanding professor and a true hero in every sense of the word. If I remember correctly neither of his two buddies from the prison camp made it back.

i had him 1980 for public speaking and technical writing

May 29, 2015, 11:18 AM

And speak publicly fairly often and literally think about him every time I give a speech. He was a great teacher - and while I didn't know about at the time, obviously a great hero and Tiger!

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic