Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Generator Recommendations...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Generator Recommendations...

May 13, 2016, 10:32 AM

What size generator is ideal for powering a TV at your tailgate spot ? Brand, Watts, etc...

Thanks for any suggestions !

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Generator Recommendations...

May 13, 2016, 10:36 AM

Honda EU2000.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2016, 10:38 AM

Honda EU2000

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 13, 2016, 12:48 PM

I use this model Honda also! I could give rave reviews but lets just say Bullet Proof! It does cost more but its worth it! Good Luck!

May 13, 2016, 10:44 AM

Like the gentleman before me said, the Honda ( economical, reliable, relatively inexpensive for what you're getting).
I love mine, but get a competitive price.

May 13, 2016, 10:45 AM

Honda EU2000

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I had a 25 yr old Honda 650.. ran tv, direct tv box,

May 13, 2016, 11:17 AM

And 1 other device (radio, laptop, ps4, xbox..etc" with no problems.
Some degenerate trump fan stole it.
It ran for 25 years wIth zero trouble and I never had to crank it more than a couple times when it was very cold outside. Changed the oil and spark plug maybe 4 times.

I now have a honda e2000.

If you only powering a tv and couple devices, I recommend a Honda 1000.

The 2000 is much louder than my old 650 and is about the same size.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Honda and Yamaha are the 2 highest

May 13, 2016, 11:20 AM

Quality brands.

If you get any other brand and it craps out, is loud as heck, or dumps volumes of toxic fumes on your tailgaters you only have yourself to blame.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Either this...

May 13, 2016, 11:21 AM

or a Honda EU2000.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

The guy next to me to me uses that nixon generator. He now

May 13, 2016, 11:27 AM

Has baobies. They are nice baobies and it may just be a coincidence, but I personally wouldn't chance it.

May 13, 2016, 11:29 AM

First, make sure you get an inverter generator, everything else is much louder.
The Honda EU2000 really is the best, along with the Yamaha EF2000. Both are typically around $900-$1000
If you really want a budget model ($450-$600), I'd recommend looking into these two, but both will be a bit louder and not quite as reliable as the Honda or Yamaha.

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-73536i-Starting-Portable-Inverter/dp/B0041K09D8?ie=UTF8&keywords=champion%20inverter%20generator&qid=1463153219&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4
http://www.amazon.com/WEN-56200i-Starting-Generator-Compliant/dp/B00SMNLF4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463153245&sr=8-1&keywords=wen+inverter+generator

Honda EU2000 is all you need***

May 13, 2016, 11:44 AM

Deep cycle battery and inverter

May 13, 2016, 12:00 PM

I have two generators including a quiet inverter generator and don't use them tailgating.
I have tailgated all day and into early night with one SRM29 deep cycle battery and an inverter. Use LED ropelights, and 32" HDTV with satellite dish, and of course, iphone chargers.

Message was edited by: cha2ga®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely less expensive but...

May 13, 2016, 12:26 PM

you'll need two batteries and two inverters (a primary and a back-up) and you'll need to be prepared to replace the batteries about every two or three years especially if you buy inexpensive batteries.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Deep cycle battery and inverter

May 13, 2016, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Deep cycle battery and inverter ]

Another VERY solid option for just running a TV for a few hours.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Not sure that would last all that long

May 13, 2016, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Deep cycle battery and inverter ]

I've considered it since it is totally quiet, but in the long run I think you'll end up spending more if you run anything more than a very energy efficient TV and satellite.

Realistically, you'll probably need two batteries wired together as you don't want to deplete them more than 50% of their capacity or you'll significantly shorten the life of the batteries. Plus you'll need a good charger / maintainer, and a quality inverter that can handle the necessary wattage. You'll spend about $400+ up front, plus you'll have to be careful to do all your math to make sure you can run everything as long as you want.

Would love to know if you battery has lasted more than 3-4 seasons.

Re: Not sure that would last all that long

May 13, 2016, 2:07 PM

Our Travel trailer works all day with that setup (however, our trailer has two 12 V batteries in parallel). We also have about 200 Watts of Solar panels on top though.

The power draw works like this. A typical 32-36" flat screen TV draws less than 100 watts. A Sat receiver is about 10-20 watts. That works out to around 8.5 to 9 amps worth of current draw per hour.

So, what you need to know is, the Amp hour rating of your deep cell batteries. Usually they run about 100 Amp hours. So with one battery, you should be able to run 8.5-9 amps for about 10 hours. If you have two batteries, you can either double that, or run more stuff.

If one decides to go that route, make sure you get a big enough inverter to run all the things you want to.

There are pluses and minius to doing things either way.

A generator is more expensive.
A generator is heavy (but so are batteries)
The generator (should) always work (and give you more power than you need), if you have gas for it.
A generator is "loud" (even the quite ones).

Batteries (along with an inverter) don't cost as much.
Batteries don't last forever.
You have to remember to charge the battery after each use.
Batteries are quiet.
You have limited power with batteries (both time and wattage).

Good luck with your decision.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Re: Not sure that would last all that long

May 13, 2016, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Not sure that would last all that long ]

I should have added, buy the deep cycle with the most Amp Hours that you can afford.

May 13, 2016, 12:42 PM

Or buy the Ryobi from home depot that does the exact job for $599.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-2-200-Watt-Green-Gasoline-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator-RYI2200/203617901

We do a lot of RV camping (we have a 25' airstream trailer) here and the ryobi has never let me down in 3 or 4 seasons of use (8-10 trips a year easy, 3-10 days at a time), plus lots of other use round the house/yard.

It's a 4 stroke engine, so it's quite (only one DB louder than the Honda). Another plus for the Ryobi is it comes with wheels, which is a plus when trying to move almost 50 lbs of generator around a campsite/tailgate. It also has an inverter function that allows you to use it in parallel with another one, just in case you needed to power a full sized fridge, Microwave and AC all at the same time...

So go with the folks that spout the company line and regurgitate "Honda 2000" or go with some one that has real world used one for many years. You can spend the money on the honda or your can spend it somewhere else.

Allow me to recommend this to you...........

May 13, 2016, 12:52 PM

Quiet, environmentally friendly, and good for your health.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHAT IF MOOREJ3087® DOESN'T HAVE

May 13, 2016, 12:59 PM

LEGS?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Good point...try this:

May 13, 2016, 1:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Generac iQ2000

May 13, 2016, 1:25 PM

$200 less than the Honda, but actually a bigger brand in the generator industry. They have roughly the same specs but the Generac weighs about 5 lbs more. As an added bonus it's also orange.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Generac iQ2000

May 13, 2016, 1:53 PM

Also a good product.

Re: Generator - Northern Tool in GVL

May 13, 2016, 1:50 PM

Has an awesome Generator that is quieter than Honda, less expensive and they do all repairs on site if there's a problem. Had lots of folks come by and ask us about it because ours was much quieter than theirs.

May 13, 2016, 2:27 PM

Is this the one you're referring to? Saw it on sale the other day, has pretty good reviews. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623983_200623983

badge-donor-10yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uncle Jake Media has designed the TigerNet Donor Badges every year since 2002, and provided many other graphics on the site as well. We are proud to be a Member of the TigerNet Business Network.

Please consider us for all of your web and graphic design needs!

May 14, 2016, 12:44 PM

Yes, this is the one. Works great, very quiet.

May 13, 2016, 2:43 PM

Keep in mind, if the generator needs repairs/maintenance , most honda techs are not (legally) allowed to work on yamahas. I learned the hard way, and had to go with a less than desirable repair place that made the issues even worse (it seems that everyone is a licensed honda tech).

May 14, 2016, 9:35 AM

The Honda is nice. If you don't want to shuck out those kind of bucks.... Harbor Frieght has a knock off. It works good. I have had one for 3-4 years. I Got it on sale.

It's on sale right now. Less than 600 bucks.
http://m.harborfreight.com/2500-peak2200-running-watts-47-hp-125cc-portable-inverter-generator-61169.html

The key with any small engine. DONT USE ETHANOL GAS. And when you're done using it. Turn the gas valve off and let it run out of fuel.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic