Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gardening Bros
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 235

Gardening Bros

Mar 23, 2020, 9:10 AM

when are you planting your garden?

What are you putting in it?

What tips have you picked up along the way?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Gardening Bros

Mar 23, 2020, 9:36 AM

I started some seeds indoors last weekend. I'll probably start some more seeds in a week or so. I generally transplant them into the ground around Easter. I'm zone 8, fwiw.

I'll plant a variety of tomatoes and peppers along with squash, cucumbers, corn, eggplant, and peas. I'm also trying watermelon again although I haven't had much success with those in the past.

Is this your first year planting a garden?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have planted gardens before. We just haven't

Mar 23, 2020, 9:39 AM

since we moved to the new house. So about 3 years.

The last year we planted a garden I made it way too big and it was too much work to keep weeded etc.

Our plan is everything we put in salads put in the garden.

So:

Romaine

Cucumbers

Sweet onion

Green onion

bell pepper

and of course you have to have squash to fry this summer.

My problem is going to be what the guy sprayed Friday. He sprayed what they use in the field for the farmers. My next door neighbor is a farmer and he told me to make sure the guy didn't spray atrizine or the garden won't work.

We shall see. I plan on having 2-4 rows about 10-15 ft long. So nothing too big.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have planted gardens before. We just haven't

Mar 23, 2020, 9:49 AM

I've only tried Romaine once and it did not produce well. I used some seedlings from Home Depot, which may have been the problem.

Bell peppers are pretty forgiving and easy to grow if you can avoid blossom end rot. I think that occurs due to calcium deficiency but am not sure. I'll generally only plant one cucumber plant. I believe we've used "Cucumber Salad Bush" and it produces more than we can eat. I forgot to mention that we plant Clemson Spineless okra. If you like okra, it is almost impossible to mess up growing. They make for great mid to late summer plants because they love the heat.

Your garden is a little bigger than mine. I have a small plot that is about 13 x 6 and grow some of my peppers in pots. I don't know if this qualifies as a tip, but if your garden is fenced at all, you can plant vining plants right up against the fence and use it as a trellis. That will expand your usable space.We do that with the cucumbers and peas.

I'm not sure how to handle the chemical spray. I wonder if tilling would make it better or worse?

My wife's grandfather is the green thumb in the family

Mar 23, 2020, 9:54 AM

unfortunately he's now in a nursing home, but he helped me build a 6 stake fence for the tomatoes and cucumbers. So we will be using that.

I'm hoping if I till it up good and fertilize the hell out of it about a week before I plant it will overcome the spraying

Yes, you need some CalMag once your plants start

Mar 23, 2020, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: We have planted gardens before. We just haven't ]

going into bloom to avoid the blossom end rot. Not necessarily at first, but once you're a few weeks in start giving them a half dose.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, you need some CalMag once your plants start

Mar 23, 2020, 1:14 PM

Try shaking up a carbonated soda and spraying it in the ripening tomatoes and whole plant for the end rot. Read it somewhere and it seems to work. CaCO2 adds calcium quick. There may be better ways but not any easier. Egg shells in the soil are good but that takes time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PRO TIP: Plant tulips

Mar 23, 2020, 9:45 AM

on deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttz

I'll give it another 3-4 weeks

Mar 23, 2020, 11:39 AM

Not doing a big garden because I'm going to go against the advice of everyone I've talked to and attempt to seed zoysia. I expect that will take a lot of time.

I do a couple of cherry tomato plants in fabric pots every year, my PRO TIP for those (and marijuana) is to use Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil. Has everything you need, won't even have to fertilize.

Aside from cherry tomatoes I'll do regular size and okra. Probably it. Maybe some chocolate diesel or blueberry kush.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll give it another 3-4 weeks

Mar 23, 2020, 11:52 AM

Why do people recommend not using zoysia? That's what we have and I've never had a problem with it.

They just don't recommend trying to start it from seed

Mar 23, 2020, 12:01 PM

But I don't have $7k to spend on zoysia sod, so seed it is. It's kind of a slow grower and takes awhile to get established, but I have time.

We have always had 2 garden areas

Mar 23, 2020, 11:44 AM

First about 6 ft by 20 ft - nothing but herbs & peppers
Second is for Roma & Heirloom tomatoes, and cherry salad tomatoes

Won't have one this year due to not moving in to new abode until mid-April and the landscaping will take most of my energy. May have some tomatoes in 5 gal buckets tho...

Green thumbs, everyone!

Re: We have always had 2 garden areas

Mar 23, 2020, 11:53 AM

What heirloom varieties do you plant? I love Cherokee Purples and am going to add a few other heirlooms this year.

Cannot stress this enough...if you have to use pots for

Mar 23, 2020, 12:02 PM [ in reply to We have always had 2 garden areas ]

tomatoes, use the fabric ones. It'll double your yield.

Replies: 13
| visibility 235
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic