Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: 2013 schedule has three teams that finished in Top 10
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: 2013 schedule has three teams that finished in Top 10

Feb 25, 2013, 3:13 PM

2013 schedule has three teams that finished in Top 10

Clemson’s 2013 football schedule includes three games against teams that finished the 2012 season in the top 10 in the nation. The schedule was released by the Atlantic Coast Conference on Monday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: 2013 schedule has three teams that finished in Top 10

Feb 25, 2013, 3:17 PM

We should be ranked in the top 15 for strength of schedule.

Feb 25, 2013, 5:22 PM

Surely looks like a sched that could put us in the NC if we win all of them. Maybe even if we lose just one near the begining of the season. But I personally expect us to win them all. Two open dates is a plus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2013, 4:02 PM

All of them are very winnable games this year, as 2 are at home, and the coots are due to get a beat down. This schedule sets up pretty good for us, IMO, in that we have open dates before the Thursday games, and one of those games is GT which should guarantee a win. I don't know that GT ever beat anybody who had more than a week to prepare for their option attack. Also, we have Citadel before usuc, which is one of the things they have done prior to playing us (scheduling a weak opponent the week before us or having an off date). No game is easy, but this sets up better than many years for us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GT beat USC last year.

Feb 25, 2013, 4:08 PM

But I agree, no reason why we shouldn't win the conference.

Message was edited by: tgrfn787®

Re: GT beat USC last year.

Feb 26, 2013, 8:58 AM

You are right, and I had forgotten that. Their history of winning games when the opponent has had an extra week or more to prepare for the option attack is very poor, however. There is a good reason why almost all teams left that offense for something better (and many teams, including Clemson, used to run the option). A DL that can clog the running lanes, and LB's and Corners who can outrun the pitch folks pretty much render it ineffective. It does require strict discipline, and it goes against the norm that has everybody swarming to the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It can be very effective if well coached; GT's real problem,

Feb 26, 2013, 12:53 PM

and the problem with the triple option offense today, lies with recruiting. It's hard to convince athletes to come play for such a mundane offense in an unexceptional conference.

PJ's GT is 6-14 vs FBS teams that have more than 1 prep week

Feb 27, 2013, 1:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: 2013 schedule has three teams that finished in Top 10 ]

I've been keeping a running tally of Paul Johnson's GT versus FBS teams that had more than one consecutive week to prepare. It is as follows:

PJ's GT is:
6-14 (.300) against FBS teams that had more than one consecutive week to prepare for the option but,
27-11 (.711) vs FBS that only have 1 week to prepare.

By comparison, from 2004-2007 GT was 28-20 (0.583) vs. FBS teams that had 1 week to prepare, and 8-10 (0.444) vs FBS teams that had more than 1 week to prepare.

PJ's GT is:
1-4 (.200) in bowl games- when BOTH teams have a month to prepare.

The data indicates that PJ's rarely-seen option offense is tough to prepare for in 1 week, but pretty easy to defeat, when the opponent is given more time to prepare.

Details follow:
2008: 1-2. Beat UGA. Lost to UNC & spanked by LSU.
2009: 0-2. Lost to Miami & Iowa (GT's 2 lowest yardage totals of the season.)
2010: 1-4. Beat suspension-decimated UNC. Lost to NCSU, VT, UGA, Air Force.
2011: 1-2. Beat NCSU (2 extra days). Lost to UVA (2 wks. 296 yds lowest of season. & VT, 12 days & Utah.)
2012: Lost to VT in opener. Lost to MTSU (2weeks), Beat UNC & Duke. Lost to UGA (who played option-team, Ga Southern the prior week). Beat USC in bowl.

Details for 2004-2007:
2004: Beat UMD, Duke, UConn, Syr. Lost to Miami, VT, UGA.
2005: Beat Aub, UNC. Lost to NCSU, Utah.
2006: Beat UMD. Lost to ND, Clem, UGA, WVU.
2007: Beat ND. Lost to Fesno.

Re: PJ's GT is 6-14 vs FBS teams that have more than 1 prep week

Feb 27, 2013, 10:49 AM

Razz, Thanks for the documentation. I didn't know the specific stats, but I had followed it for a while and had noticed what you have documented. I believe the reason it is so hard to adjust to in just one week is the change in philosophy of swarming to the ball and maintaining discipline where everybody must stay on his guy until the very end. Now the Option is pretty effective with the right QB who can make the fast read, run like "Johnny Football", and throw it to a couple of guys who can block very well, as well as break off a block and catch and run the ball. That almost is a perfect storm, and we had that with Rodney Williams and Homer Jordan, I think. Even then, defenses like I described, which all the great teams now have, render it much less effective and subject to failure with preparation.

Bye & cupcake B4 GT & SCar=good. FSU's open date B4 us=bad.***

Feb 27, 2013, 1:37 AM

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic