Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
GITT with what your father did for a living:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 76
| visibility 1,359

GITT with what your father did for a living:

Jun 20, 2018, 11:23 AM

My father, RIP, retired from Owens-Corning Fiberglas in Aiken. He was a welder and a Teamster. He helped organize the plant and told us cool stories about getting threatened and knives being pulled on him. I remember they went on strike in the late 60s and us having to drink powdered milk for a while.

metiger's and APM's fathers also worked there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad was a glassman

Jun 20, 2018, 11:26 AM

Worked for Blyco for years on end, traveling all over installing glass in buildings. Still works a few days for a different company now, just to stay busy. His new company really takes care of him, gave him as much time as he needed when he had his prostate surgery and then pneumonia hospitalization within 3 weeks of each other, just told him his spot was open whenever he felt ready to come back.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Naval officer until I fell as a kid needing stitches while

Jun 20, 2018, 11:28 AM

my mom was uber pregnant with my brother, he then went into management in the nuclear engineering field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Naval officer until I fell as a kid needing stitches while

Jun 20, 2018, 11:30 AM
hqdefault.jpg(109.4 K)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And younger than me.***

Jun 20, 2018, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Naval officer until I fell as a kid needing stitches while ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You old fart =)

Jun 20, 2018, 11:52 AM

Dad had just turned 23 and mom was 24 when they had me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Tell off a scooter with a

Jun 20, 2018, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Naval officer until I fell as a kid needing stitches while ]

Briggs Stratton engine? We had a go kart with a chainsaw engine. It would literally fly momentarily.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson grad and essentially

Jun 20, 2018, 11:32 AM

a scheduling/industrial engineer for a steel company

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

banking stuff

Jun 20, 2018, 11:32 AM

went thru all the growth from banks only being local
then they could be state wide then all over

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'did'? or still does?***

Jun 20, 2018, 11:35 AM

Failed Clemson students***

Jun 20, 2018, 11:36 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Failed Clemson students***

Jun 20, 2018, 12:17 PM

Re: Failed Clemson students:***

Jun 20, 2018, 1:24 PM

^^^This is true^^^

Jun 20, 2018, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Failed Clemson students*** ]

True fact, I had tdrake®'s dad for my first computer architecture class. So all of it was new to me. Dr. Drake keep mentioning a memory refresh. I wait until after class, and politely asked what a memory refresh was. He looked right at me, mumbled and said that was when the memory was refreshed.

I dropped the class and took it next semester with Dr. Ligon, I believe

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

can someone merge these faces? Wanna see what Dr. Dreke

Jun 20, 2018, 1:12 PM

looks like

He had no time for stupid students.***

Jun 20, 2018, 6:06 PM [ in reply to ^^^This is true^^^ ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

short stint in Army in Korea, then Milliken for entire

Jun 20, 2018, 11:38 AM

career

President of the family pallet manufacturing company.

Jun 20, 2018, 11:38 AM

Forced to retire by his Step Mom so that her son could take over, and it went out of business a few years later.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pipefitter, worked union jobs

Jun 20, 2018, 11:39 AM

General Foreman on jobs last 5-10 years

I totally read

Jun 20, 2018, 11:41 AM

"George Foreman"

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIL that Bengaline's real name is George Forman

Jun 20, 2018, 12:06 PM

Along with all of his brothers and sisters.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Pops was air force, was in Vietnam. Stayed a reservist

Jun 20, 2018, 11:39 AM

and went to work for defense logistics agency for 22 years. Then went back active reserve for 10 years and volunteered for one year in Iraq/Afghanistan. Pretty crazy he was in 2 wars 35 years apart. Stayed in until 58 and was forced into retirement because if his age. combined years in air force was 36 total. Then he did DOD for several years. Now thinks dirty myrtle is a good retirement spot and lives there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Banker at a small town bank

Jun 20, 2018, 11:40 AM

Hated his job every f*cking day. Was so happy to retire, then he got sick.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CPA

Jun 20, 2018, 11:42 AM

Same job for 45 years.

Been a partner at the firm since the late 70's.

Still working 60+ hours per week.

He's done well for himself.

Probably retiring in the next few years.

Navy JAG, a lil' civil lawyerin', some construction,

Jun 20, 2018, 11:43 AM

and pen15 dreamweaver.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Director of Human Resources

Jun 20, 2018, 11:45 AM

At a hospital

Got pushed out after close to 30 yrs and a merger

Does health insurance enrollments now

Started after Clemson as an insurance adjuster

Jun 20, 2018, 11:48 AM

Did that about 10-15 years then went into sales. Sold computer software to banks and insurance companies during the 1980's. Did a brief stint selling other software and even a few years in marketing for a bank. Then went back to insurance and then retired and started his own company.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: GITT with what your father did for a living:

Jun 20, 2018, 12:05 PM

Became a medic in the Army after high school, then got out and went to Nursing school. Has been an RN ever since. He'll be 76 this year and still works full time, although now he teaches nursing at Midlands Tech.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Weaver in a mill

Jun 20, 2018, 12:19 PM

and worked atop the kiln at a brickyard.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Entrepreneur and a Schoo teecha***

Jun 20, 2018, 12:20 PM

General

Jun 20, 2018, 12:42 PM

In the Confederacy is what I read.

82nd Airborne '44 to '69. Sales/Retired. ******

Jun 20, 2018, 12:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ridiculously talented lawyer***

Jun 20, 2018, 12:34 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ah, I think we've figured out who you are.

Jun 20, 2018, 1:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're a lousy ####### softball player, Jack!

Jun 20, 2018, 1:20 PM

Re: Ah, I think we've figured out who you are.

Jun 20, 2018, 11:51 PM [ in reply to Ah, I think we've figured out who you are. ]

I went to high school with the character that Cruise plays in that movie.

That's what I've heard.***

Jun 20, 2018, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Ridiculously talented lawyer*** ]

He was USAF for 27 years

Jun 20, 2018, 12:39 PM

WWII and Korea. Chief Master Sarge. Retired went to work at Owens Corning Fiberglas in Aiken, SC. Management over 1/3 of mfg. plant. Retired again. Lived to 94. Had stocks that were worth nothing cuz OCF went bankrupt.

Worked with Joe G and APM's Dads.

Originally a Pipefitter, then a Foreman

Jun 20, 2018, 1:16 PM

Worked at the Milliken Pendleton Finishing Plant for about 35 years until he retired 2 weeks ago. This morning he ran jugs with his grandsons enjoying some much deserved time off.

Jugs? As in catching catfish?***

Jun 20, 2018, 1:20 PM

Yes sir. 9 yesterday but only 2 this morning***

Jun 20, 2018, 1:21 PM

PhD in ChemE

Jun 20, 2018, 1:44 PM

Worked at SRP outside of Aiken (da bomb plant) doing various things to help make nuclear materials to blow up the Russians, then spent the later part of his career working under the non-proliferation treaty with the Russians.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

I have an Uncle that retired from there

Jun 20, 2018, 1:54 PM

He's mid 90,s now. Have a first cousin that retired from there. His younger brother is still there. My brother worked there in the summers back in 60,s when home from college. He is an electrical engineer.

Half the people in Edgefield have either worked there or

Jun 20, 2018, 2:12 PM

work there now.

Addendum

Jun 20, 2018, 2:16 PM [ in reply to PhD in ChemE ]

Got to travel to Russia A LOT at the end of his career. Would bring back the finest Russian vodka that your lips will ever touch. It was called Blue Cliff. I hate vodka generally, but even I could drink this stuff straight. Came in a special, beautiful bottle that was from France (I think). At one point, the bottle company went under, so the vodka company decided to just stop making the vodka. Eventually the bottle company opened back up, so the vodka company did as well. That was several years ago, not sure if it is still in production.

MauldinT, where are you???

Tater lickher is what it's called or

Jun 20, 2018, 4:46 PM

Vodkee. lol.

Clemson Architecture grad, class of 1950

Jun 20, 2018, 2:09 PM

Worked in Greenville at several firms. Retired in 2001. RIP.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Post Vietnam, built Mack trucks for his entire worklife

Jun 20, 2018, 2:56 PM

Moved around various parts of the assembly line. Spent most time in 'finishing' where he had to take apart and reassemble the trucks for inspection. Had a chance to drive cabs around the lot when completed. Let me do it one time as a teenager too. Was the-t-its.

Now living off the pension and spends day complaining about my mom, his back, knees, life, whitecollar workers, etc. Was an expert machinist and gave us a chance to build some kick-ass pinewood derby cars.

Worked double and triple shifts every chance he could so we could afford a middle class life. Spent a lot of time working, but also volunteered as Cub Scout leader and PeeWee football coach. Overpaid UAW wages helped me afford Clemson.

Without Mack trucks moving to SC, I would have never heard of Clemson until too late.

Good man.

Side note: In Vietnam, he was a helicopter gunner and repairman. Volunteered so he could pick his position. Spent time hanging out the side of the chopper spraying bullets. Shot down a few times. Shared some crazy military carnage pictures with us as a kid. Hard to remember those times as he's old and lazy now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Started out as a Trucking/Logistics company terminal manager

Jun 20, 2018, 3:07 PM

did that for UPS for a while (even got to drive routes a couple of times when they were shorthanded, no uniform pigs @TXTF) then another company in north Jerz.
Got laid off, did accident investigations (mostly trucking-based) for a lawyer friend for a few years, eventually started his own investigation company, clients are mostly insurance companies.

still does this...or has other people do it for him.

oddly, based in NJ so he does a lot of 'regional' stuff....but he's had 3 'cases' in Greenville Co, 2 of which were in Simpsonville that ALSO coincided with when they were visiting. It was funny hearing him explain that to people he was interviewing. Partly, because of the accent.

I think Tiggity® might do something similar, didn't see how that thread ended up yesterday

New Jersey, Trucking, Logistics...wink wink, we get it, your

Jun 20, 2018, 3:15 PM

Dad is a truckstop hooker.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trucking business in Jersey, bet he can tell some tales.***

Jun 20, 2018, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Started out as a Trucking/Logistics company terminal manager ]

I do something similar.

Jun 20, 2018, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Started out as a Trucking/Logistics company terminal manager ]

Started out doing comprehensibility investigations for insurance carriers, but now do something a bit more difficult. We used to do assigned risk comprehensibility investigations and worked on some of the worst accidents and worst insureds the SC AR carrier encountered. We worked with their best adjusters too. Those were fun. Most other comprehensibility stuff was relatively simple, but assigned risk claims were always a challenge because they typically involved contractors, sub-contractors, and independent contractors. Sometimes there were coverage issues, missing insureds, ghost policies, premium fraud, and all kinds of interesting stuff.

If I told you exactly what I do now, I'd dox myself in all likelihood. Might have already done so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read

Jun 20, 2018, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Started out as a Trucking/Logistics company terminal manager ]

Mafia.

I wish

Jun 20, 2018, 5:02 PM

I'd have much better stories

My father was in the airforce for 17 years

Jun 20, 2018, 3:46 PM

he had to walk to work because we were to poor to afford a car and he had to drag two planes, nine miles, up hill both ways, to and from work. After that he became a lentil farmer so that he could earn a living and feed us at the same time. We typically had lentils somewhere around 15 meals per week. You'd be surprised what you can do with lentils. Lentil soup, lentil stew, rice and lentils, eggs and lentils, boiled lentils, fried lentils, etc.

Eventually he became the world's largest lentil producer and when he passed he left us millions of bushels of lentils each.

ROH

I read

Jun 20, 2018, 4:53 PM

Mark Spitz

Jun 20, 2018, 4:20 PM

my ole man worked there for a little while after Clemson. His brother stayed. He came back home to do other stuff.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2018, 4:29 PM

fergot:

after OC-Aiken, it was mill mobile equip. company, furniture store owner and/or mgr, then telephone company for most of his years.

Where did you grow up?***

Jun 20, 2018, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Re: GITT with what your father did for a living: ]

Re: Where did you grow up?***

Jun 20, 2018, 5:54 PM

Georgetown.

The uncle I’m talking about wound up at KC and retired there.

poor obed,left out again,let's talk about swimming***

Jun 20, 2018, 6:09 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Took me a few seconds.***

Jun 20, 2018, 6:35 PM

...and I'm called the lunge racist?***

Jun 21, 2018, 7:20 AM [ in reply to poor obed,left out again,let's talk about swimming*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad drove an 18 wheeler.

Jun 20, 2018, 8:21 PM

He lived hard and died young, 36 from his first heart attack.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

24 years in the Air Force

Jun 20, 2018, 10:43 PM

Two Vietnam tours. He was a draftsman for Federal-Mogul until Parkinson's forced him to retire. It was about the time CAD systems were taking over. He hated it. He was a pencil and ruler man. I still have some of his tools that I use when planning things around the house. I wish I had kept his desk.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dad was a linesman for SouthernBell

Jun 20, 2018, 11:21 PM

Immune to poison ivy. Tough SOB.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was immune to Ivy until I cleaned up a lot in Six Mile.

Jun 21, 2018, 7:16 AM

We had some Ivy growing on a couple huge Oaks that I wanted to save. The trunks of the Ivy were huge, about 2.5" in diameter. I had a chainsaw but didn't want to scar the bark so I used a drywall keyhole saw to work between the bark and the Ivy.

The milk in the Ivy shot all over the inside of one of my arms but even that didn't cause me issues. The idiot I married picked up some of the cuttings of the Ivy stalks and threw them in the fire. I'm glad none of the kids got in the smoke.

I went to work looking like the Elephant Man and the woman was worse. The Greenville City Director of Facilities gave me the employee of the year award for going to work during my recuperation. The woman looked like a mutant even worse.

Clemson man and regional superintendent for

Jun 20, 2018, 11:38 PM

a utilities company. Kid's grew up tough during his day.

He was pretty busy.

Jun 20, 2018, 11:44 PM

Went to war in Korea, got shot in a B-29, left and graduated from a Textile Engineering School as a TE/ME, had 4 kids, was a VP of an asbestos company, got canned a few years before retirement then went to work for his former coworker, Jerry Zucker, as his mechanical engineer/estimator in the technical end of his slew of companies in the M&A side.

Did more before 30 than I've done my whole life; Died at 67 in his last year of work before he was ever able to retire.

He died happy.

Jun 21, 2018, 7:22 AM

Retirement sucks asz. That's why I'm always finding something productive to do.

Jun 21, 2018, 7:28 AM

He was a civil engineer. I initially enrolled at CU tibfollow in his footsteps. But I soon found out I liked the math much more. So I changed to a math major later on.

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

My dad was a carpenter

Jun 21, 2018, 9:46 AM

Built houses from the time he dropped out of high school until he had to give it up in 08

Ayejoe Senior was a Nuclear Electrical Engineer

Jun 21, 2018, 10:36 AM

He trained in the Navy and then moved to the private sector. He was on the team that designed and built the Seawolf class submarines. There we 6-8 month periods at a time when I was in middle and high school that we were not allowed to know where he was. Turns out he was in Kings Bay, GA and New London, CT working on the Seawolf project.

Textile mill supervisor

Jun 21, 2018, 10:43 AM

Yankee, moved south when a large carpet manufacturer opened up a plant in the upstate. I thank God many times when I think I could have grown up in upstate NY. He died young at 53 - 2 pack a day smoker with heart issues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Came back from WW2 and became a lineman. Very dangerous

Jun 21, 2018, 11:39 AM

(but high paying) job back then. He was electrocuted in 1958 when I was 15 months old, so no memory of him. Mom was 8 months pregnant and lost the baby a couple weeks later, either from the trauma or sedatives or both. Obviously a very tragic event in my life, and hers...

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Jun 21, 2018, 11:48 AM

My dad worked in the space industry at Cape Canaveral
He was on some of the crews that put heat shields on the
Gemini and Apollo capsules back in the day.
Got out of that and owned a hardware store for 30 years

Chief Petty Officer stationed in San Deigo during the

Jun 21, 2018, 11:51 AM

Korean conflict.

Went on to sell industrial drills and steel/concrete anchors.

Died in '83 from cancer at 51.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Replies: 76
| visibility 1,359
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic