Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
GITT if your kid does or did play a "travel" sport
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 367

GITT if your kid does or did play a "travel" sport

Dec 6, 2018, 8:29 AM

1. How many years did they play it ?

2. How much money per year did it cost ?

3. Regret it ?

Full disclosure, I coach a "travel ball" team. My kids played the same sport. My youngest wants to play club volleyball and the cost is about $2400 a season and that shocked me.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

outrageous

Dec 6, 2018, 8:31 AM

Is it worth driving all over the south east and paying thousands of dollars to watch some sub amateur sports?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet thats what the coaches at the Citadel say

Dec 6, 2018, 9:19 AM

HAYYY-OOOOOOO

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's certainly what the cadets say***

Dec 6, 2018, 9:38 AM

Hi, I'm just here to find out about travel sports, and how

Dec 6, 2018, 8:34 AM

I CAN AVOID EVER EVER EVER DOING THIS

Teach your kids to fish or hunt

Dec 6, 2018, 9:29 AM

I hate hunting, but if I have a son that ever shows the least bit of interest in it my ### will be freezing in a deer stand somewhere because it's better than the alternative.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not in to hunting at all, and enjoy fishing in the rare

Dec 6, 2018, 9:34 AM

occasion I get to, but I'm hardly a fisherman.

I'd be down for picking it up together w/ the kid(s). My dad's big into inshore/offshore fishing, but he and his boat are in NJ, so I only get out on it once or twice a year. Neither of the LilGUAR's have ever come out on the ocean with us

When I was probably 6 or 7, my grandpa bought a

Dec 6, 2018, 9:41 AM

old beat up jon boat with a 1970's 9.9 Merc on it for like $400. We'd go out fishing in it every weekend. The fishing didn't stick, but the riding around did. I added drinking copious amounts of cheap beer to the equation a few years later and never looked back.

Could be a good option for you to see if tickles your kids fancy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every kid should learn that and other basic outdoor skills.

Dec 6, 2018, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Teach your kids to fish or hunt ]

I've seen kids that couldn't start a freaking campfire, and that's downright sad.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously? All you need is gas and a match***

Dec 6, 2018, 9:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

and old outdoor foam patio cushions***

Dec 6, 2018, 9:47 AM

Yep, i brought my 10yo daughter camping in October...luckily

Dec 6, 2018, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Every kid should learn that and other basic outdoor skills. ]

(and selfishly) she loved it and wants to go again. Son (6yo) is a ######## when it comes to making any effort for anything (we hiked in a couple miles) like that, so I'll give him a few more years.

I've taken them on two hikes, and he's liked it eventually, but both started out REAL rough

They'd love going out to an island and camping for a night

Dec 6, 2018, 9:49 AM

then, I bet. I see a lot of families set up shop on a Friday afternoon and stay until late Sunday.

and it's really easy with limited gear and especially

Dec 6, 2018, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Teach your kids to fish or hunt ]

because kids are so good at sitting still and being quiet.

Re: GITT if your kid does or did play a "travel" sport

Dec 6, 2018, 8:37 AM

That sounds awful.

#### each and every one of these and the parents who do this

Dec 6, 2018, 8:37 AM

entitled little ###### who think that because they spent all of this money on their precious little Mason Jeddidyah he is suddenly going to get drafted in 8th grade but that mean ol' JV baseball coach doesn't know what he's doing because daddy won a couple of travel ball games and would obviously be playing in the pros if it wasn't for that arm injury in 85.

#### these people.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

that's a lot of salt for breakfast, bruh***

Dec 6, 2018, 8:39 AM

Son of played travel baseball 1 year

Dec 6, 2018, 8:40 AM

I think I enjoyed it more than he did. After that he just played rec league ball. Always helped coach so I could get out there and play. But that one year it was just way too #### hot which I guess it is every year in June and July and August. That part of it sucked. And yes it gets expensive.

I have one in gymnastics now. I am ALL IN with regret.

Dec 6, 2018, 8:44 AM

Travel all over the state. SHITTONNES of money. For what? Middle school girl drama and a few medals?

Mrs. PAW and I seriously want her to quit, but we won't tell her to quit. Instead we're encouraging other things and hoping she will get interested.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wife works with a lady whose daughter did Gymnastics and

Dec 6, 2018, 9:04 PM

swim. She just quit both within the last year and says she feels SO MUCH BETTER at school and alot less pressure. That girl is probably 10. If'n you follow me on buddybook, she is the little girl that ran the Reindeer Romp with my wife last weekend.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dang, that girl is young for all that pressure

Dec 6, 2018, 9:20 AM

and all i can think about when seeing pigs of mrs greenr is

I don't get that reference

Dec 6, 2018, 9:30 AM

and am a little offended.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i was just being polite

Dec 6, 2018, 9:32 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/I-like-to-keep-my-lady-fresh-in-the-latest-fashionable-24632847

really i am thinking dirty stuff

lulz***

Dec 6, 2018, 9:33 AM

IN

Dec 6, 2018, 9:02 AM

this thread so I can laugh at you guys who pursue your ballfield glory through your 7 year old pee-wee football kids.

You really should let her play.

Dec 6, 2018, 9:02 AM

Because one day, she's going to be sitting in her billion dollar mansion bought with all of that sweet National Volleyball League money from her fat contract, all due to the fact you sacrificed everything to walk back and forth to work and live in a cardboard refrigerator box in a vacant lot under a bridge by the river so she could could excel from the awesome coaching she got at an early age from some schmuck that always thought they could be the next Nick Saban.

teach your kid to be a golfer

Dec 6, 2018, 9:09 AM

golf is the only sport that pays dividends for the rest of your life. Unless kid is that .001% that has pro potential, don't waste the time. Take him around and play nice golf courses so YOU get the fun out of it as much as he does. He'll thank you one day for teaching him the game.

Because you can play golf your entire life, plus it pays off in the corporate world, esp if you get in a wheeler/dealer type industry. Many benefits.

The other obvious benefit is that it gets you away from the wife for 5-6 hours at a time, so you are not dragged into antique shopping or cooking your hide on some beach.

It baffles me that all men don't use golf to their distinct advantage throughout life.

When Joonyer was a freshman in high school...

Dec 6, 2018, 9:29 AM

he tried out for the baseball team and got cut. Only 2 9th graders made JV that year because both the JV and varsity team was loaded. He had played almost year around rec ball from the time he was 10 years old, but never wanted to do the travel ball thing (which I was happy about). I asked him what he was going to do until rec ball started up, and he said he and a bunch of his pals were going to try out for the golf team as lark, hang out hitting balls at the country club for a week. I laughed and said sounds good, knowing the kid had never played golf in his life. On Friday, I leave from work to pick him up from try outs and the coach comes over and asks if I can bring him back Monday, because he and another kid were going to play-off for the last slot. I was shocked...he had no clubs, no shoes, no golf gear of any kind, but he was a natural.

Joonyer goes out Monday and earns the spot (my Dad spent the entire weekend trying to crash course the game with him, LOL) and actually ends up playing in a couple of tournaments, and spends the season learning the game. Sent him to a golf camp that summer, and he ends up lettering all 4 years and finishes his senior year in the number 2 slot on the team.

The crazy thing is that he could play in a golf match after school, leave the golf course and come to the baseball field and play a baseball game without one sport having any impact on the other. The kid could always swing a bat. I would ask him every year of he was going back to try out for school baseball, and he would always so no, he would play golf at the school in the spring and play rec ball all spring and summer because it was the only way he could do both. And he did that all 4 years of high school.

The one thing I do remember was that the school did a spring sports team introduction event one night in the gym before the season kicked off, and the golf coach said in his little speech that more parents should look into golf and tennis as alternatives for their kids, but many times those scholarships were not always filled at colleges, where football/basketball/baseball schollies were filled quickly because the recruits were identified a couple of years before the kids graduated. He said colleges got more out golf and tennis kids over their lifetime than they ever did from the three major sports in terms of lifetime commitment to the colleges. That always stuck with me.

1.Daughter played travel volleyball for 5 years.

Dec 6, 2018, 9:10 AM

2. Counting all the travel all over the country. I’d guess it cost about $10,000 a year because my wife and I never missed a tournament.
3. No, don’t regret it at all. I know I hope I never go to Orlando again as we used to go there 3 times a year. Plus, Tampa and Miami once a year. We also traveled to Denver, Indy, New Orleans once each, and the ATL once a year. We made some lifelong friends as did my daughter. We also met some of the worst sports parents ever who were forever harrrassing the coaches over playing time.

We never took a real family vacation during these years as we were traveled out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this basically explains my childhood

Dec 6, 2018, 9:23 AM

i played soccer on a travel team.

family vacation was driving all over creation to watch me play. longest trip was Houston and we made several stops along the way. We were in a little hotel in Mobile on the way home and got to watch the OJ bronco chase.

i made friends that i still hang out with now

my parents made some friends

i think my poor sister is the one that got the shaft. she had to come along on everything and was probably bored to tears. we were at a tournament in tampa and she did get to go to busch gardens while i played, so there was that one good thing for her.

it wasn't as asspensive back then i am sure, but there was a shitton of time and money from 1992-2000

I travel a few times a year to Clemson to watch football

Dec 6, 2018, 9:20 AM

Thats all I got.

I don't have kids, but I played travel soccer until I was 15

Dec 6, 2018, 9:26 AM

Regret staying with it as long as I did. I was burned out a year or two before I finally quit. I missed the 2003 FSU/Clemson game because of a tournament and I think that was truly the last straw.

FWIW I want to say I played a total of 5 or 6 years. Enjoyed playing on my high school team immensely more, didn't have the pressure.

My sister did competition cheerleading for a couple of years. Everyone in the family regrets that shideshow. Not a worse group of people on the planet.

I knew some dudes who were into the competitive cheering

Dec 6, 2018, 9:30 AM

They were cheerleaders at Clemson. Holy crap..it was like an never ending soap opera.

I think you have to be mentally ill to stick with it***

Dec 6, 2018, 9:37 AM

One of them did it until his mid 20's

Dec 6, 2018, 9:49 AM

He was flying all over the place doing as an instructor or something.

I played AAU baseball all through my youth,

Dec 6, 2018, 9:34 AM

and look how I turned out.

I highly recommend!!!

Replies: 35
| visibility 367
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic