Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
joe, I can't let this one stand, and the thread got too
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 693

joe, I can't let this one stand, and the thread got too

Oct 30, 2018, 3:56 PM

diluted to reply in it.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/I-use-it-too-because-thats-what-it-is-to-me-Some-24368018

Naw man, some people enjoy the act of driving and want it to be at least interesting. A Camry drives differently than a car intended to be more sporty.....accelerates differently, handles differently, brakes differently, you name it.

Nuthin wrong with a Camry....it gets you from point A to B, you put gas in it, and it works. That's all some people want from their car, and that's fine.

But that's like accusing a professional guitarist of being insecure or poorly endowed if he doesn't play an entry-level Epiphone. I mean, why do you need a nice guitar, the entry level one plays chords and works.

Now SUV's, yeah, they're stupid if you're the type who never uses 4WD or tows anything. You really should have gotten a station wagon.

I look at it this way...it's the second biggest purchase that most people routinely make. You should like it on some level, and if you really do it right, you should turn around once in a while to get a second glimpse of it as you're walking away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Considering there are almost no true SUVs left...

Oct 30, 2018, 4:00 PM

everybody in America is now pretty much driving a station wagon.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True, true.***

Oct 30, 2018, 4:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this has been my stance for awhile, oft ridiculed***

Oct 30, 2018, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Considering there are almost no true SUVs left... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh yeah, and I was late to the party on your QX56 question.

Oct 30, 2018, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Considering there are almost no true SUVs left... ]

They're solid vehicles....look around, you can now find 2016 Nissan Armadas (QX80 Clone, virtually no differences except the price, seriously) for about the same as a 13-14 QX56/80.

Due to being on the Patrol Chassis, they're built to a pretty high standard and don't seem to have any serious flaws.

I helped Pops pick up a 2017 earlier this year with 8k miles for a steal.

Of course he called me 3 months later and told me he had traded it on a 2018 Suburban because the seats were uncomfortable and he couldn't figure out the electronics. That was a $5k facepalm.

Consumer Reports doesn't hate 'em either, which is a plus.

Oct 30, 2018, 4:35 PM

Nissan is not what they used to be, but they do still turn out a capable SUV once in a while. I'm pretty well down to the QX56 and Lexus GX460 in my search. The gas mileage is slightly better in the Lexus, but the Infiniti is a living room on wheels in comparison. Just depends on finding an older model with reasonable mileage. Rock Hill isn't exactly a mecca for luxury vehicles in ANY capacity, but especially not good used models. It's hard for me to get too far out of town during football season, so that's probably going to be the focus after I get back from the Natty.

we have a QX56.

Oct 30, 2018, 4:54 PM

Seats are uncomfortable
3rd row doesn’t lay flat and is a pain for tailgates

On the plus side, I plan to keep it forever, and think it will only look cooler with age, kind of like the old land cruisers
The 400 hp is sweet as well

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I think the style is very much a love it or hate it design.

Oct 31, 2018, 8:22 AM

I'm in the love it camp, but you're not the first I've heard say the seats are uncomfortable. But, I think ALL car seats are when you get past 3 hours in it. The Mazda CX-5 is comfy for about 30 minutes, then you realize you're slowly being anally violated with a steel rod. By the end of a really long drive, I'm ready to set it on fire.

Both of my parents owned Mercedes

Oct 30, 2018, 4:13 PM

They spent a mint on them over the years. They came from the yuppie mentality of the 1980's when American cars sucked and Mercedes lasted 200K miles. The maintenance on them was staggering. Even routine stuff.

I'm on my third Camry. It has leather seats, power windows, navigation (Garmin), CD player. AC/heat. Backup camera. Etc. Paid $20k. 130K miles and spend $400 on maintenance. Mom has a Mercedes. Has same mileage. She's spent 6K on repairs. It has absolutely NOTHING my Camry doesn't have. Oh, less gas mileage too. Same room. When mom's car dies, she's getting a Camry. I have convinced her.

If you want a sports car, fine. A truck. Fine. But for the average person who wants reliable transportation, I just don't get the mercedes/bmw/lexus/etc. crowd. It's money down the drain IMO.

Let's put it this way, my parents could have paid my tuition through Clemson with the money saved from their last two Mercedes if they bought Camry's. EVEN back in the 1990's.

And some guys just want to take a nicer vacation, buy furniture, hardwood floors, granite counter tops, or pay college tuition.

BUT THE WORST is when you see an $80K luxury car parked in front of a run down trailer. I've been in run down trailers with a shiny new Yukon XL Denali parked in front. Also had a 80-inch HDTV and satellite. And sagging floors, holes and leaks in the roof, and children with horrible clothes and otherwise living in total poverty. Favorite was the little old lady, about 80yo, who's husband died. She took the insurance benefits and bought a Corvette convertible. Probably 80K. He of course had 8 children with 6 other women, and two with the wife, all while remaining married for 40 years. She got her revenge I guess.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You cannot lump Lexus in with BMW/Mercedes

Oct 30, 2018, 4:17 PM

I agree about the Mercedes, I've never really driven one that I was impressed with.

BMW though, now those are some awesome driving machines. I still wish I could have traded Obed my LJ for his E46 M3.

I guess it's kind of like the people who think boats are just a waste of money. A) They probably didn't make an informed purchase to begin with and B) Boating just isn't a high priority for them

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this post

Oct 30, 2018, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Both of my parents owned Mercedes ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

anecdotal evidence isn't the best evidence.

Oct 30, 2018, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Both of my parents owned Mercedes ]

I'e owned a crap ton of cars. In general, the German stuff was just as reliable as the Japanese stuff, although parts usually cost more. I bought an E-class when I was a road warrior, and it turned out to be one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned....not a single issue in 100k+ miles, just routine maintenance. But you know what the difference was? After 6 hour drive in that car, I felt great and my back didn't hurt, whereas in a Camry or similar I would have been ready to check in to a hotel and crash.....road noise, seat comfort/quality, steering feel....there are differences in little things like that between more and less expensive cars...if you appreciate them, they'r worth it...if you don't, you don't and congrats, you saved some $$$.

The Swedish cars....don't get me started...Volvo and Saab can come up with new and creative ways to make a car break. Despite my better judgement, I've also owned British stuff multiple times (including currently)....their build quality is flat-out terrible, but I know that going in and I enjoy the anachronistic driving experience they offer---wouldn't have one as a daily driver though.

As a driver of 40K miles or more a year

Oct 30, 2018, 4:26 PM

Who has only driven 8,000 miles in the past month, in a Camry, I can tell you right off the bat that I would be dead if I drove my mother's Mercedes all those miles. The bumpy road, road noise, seats, etc. KEEP ME AWAKE. I've #### near died driving my mother's car on long trips before.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I give you credit----you're a glass half full kinda guy.***

Oct 30, 2018, 4:27 PM

Man, as someone who is about to roll over 35k for the year

Oct 30, 2018, 4:30 PM [ in reply to As a driver of 40K miles or more a year ]

You crazy AF driving something like a Camry that much with today's average driver. It's only a matter of time before someone hits you, and you're going to want some extra mass when they do.

I've gone through three rear bumpers on my truck due to people rear ending me, although only once was on the interstate. One was a Dodge Magnum, probably similar size to yours. My trailer hitch went into his engine block.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, I totaled one. I walked away. 15yo girl in the full

Oct 30, 2018, 4:36 PM

sized Toyota Tundra pickup left in an ambulance with a broken leg. Hit her almost head on at 45mph.

There's more to that story than just that

Oct 30, 2018, 4:40 PM

I've seen pickup truck and sedan accidents, they don't ever favor the sedan.

Nope. I had a bruised sternum, but that's normal.

Oct 30, 2018, 4:44 PM

Didn't even go to the doctor. Airbags deployed. The Tundra was derivable, at least to get it off the road. Mine wasn't. I had a lot more damage. She had the broken leg. Walked up and asked if everyone was alright. She was groaning and her boyfriend said it was her leg. I called 911.

Her mom called me later and said her leg was broken. She was driving after dark on a beginners permit. Strike one. Pulled out in front of me and gunned it trying to beat traffic. Strike two. I never even saw her coming until we hit. That probably worked in my favor big time as I didn't have time to tense up.

Off the top of my head, I recall the bumper was toast. Radiator. Grill. Hood. both headlights. Left front fender, tire/rim. Frame bent. Engine mounts bent. But the kicker, I was told was the ABS control panel was crushed. Like 3-4K to replace that. Then the airbags. Transmission issue finished it off. Somewhere around 14K and some change to repair. Was just over 70% ACV at the time. Stuck a fork in it.

Went back to dealership, slapped down my payout as a down payment, got same exact Camry again new, and started off with payments with the same amount left to pay off. Didn't miss a beat. Literally came out the deal within $50 of where i would have been on payments and owed.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

I drive like 8k miles tops per year

Oct 30, 2018, 6:03 PM [ in reply to As a driver of 40K miles or more a year ]

Still love cars and don't think of them as just people movers.

Right now, I'm seriously considering getting the AWD Alfa Romeo Giulia as my next car. It's relatively inexpensive, and Motor Trend named it their car of the year for 2018. My practical side says it'll probably cost an arm and a leg to repair, though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Both of my parents owned Mercedes

Oct 30, 2018, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Both of my parents owned Mercedes ]

Ok, so they save that money and do not drive Mercedes. Do they go on more vacations? Buy a larger home? Do they buy expensive shoes?

I get saving for retirement and your kids' education, but I work too darn hard to sit back and think that if I didnt drive my Wrangler and gotten that lift kit I would have saved a whopping $8k. It means that much to me. Doesn't take away from my happiness, it adds. It doesnt take away from my kids or my wife....life is great. So I just do not understand the logic.

Now strippers and booze....yes, that does takeaway and I cannot accept any dollar spent on those two in conjunction.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Driving a Z4 put a smile on my face every single day

Oct 30, 2018, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Both of my parents owned Mercedes ]
z4crunch.JPG(119.0 K)

Could accelerate quick, zip through traffic, top down for sun, seats were snug and gas mileage wasn't terrible. Went head-to-head with an 18-wheeler and car absorbed all the impact. I walked away with only a few cuts and sprained thumb.

Without kids, I would buy that car again in a second.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the kinda model I take a second look at!

Oct 30, 2018, 4:30 PM
LBOD.jpeg(185.0 K)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hrrrrrng

Oct 30, 2018, 10:30 PM

Wood SIIHB

Rear end looks nice, probably could take a pounding. The

Oct 31, 2018, 9:44 AM [ in reply to This is the kinda model I take a second look at! ]

headlights appear to be nice too and I like that shade of paint. To be honest, I would like to bring that one home. Do you know where I can purchase one?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More power to you brother. I just don’t get it. I wish

Oct 30, 2018, 4:52 PM

I didn’t need a car, especially the expense. Insurance alone for my wife, daughter, and I is around a $550 a month. I’d prefer to have subways and super trains to take me every where.

Maybe if I was super rich and could afford anything I would.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get the mindset, and the world is moving in your

Oct 30, 2018, 5:25 PM

direction.

I just hope I'm dead and gone before internal combustion engines are banned.

New cars are getting so expensive that I kind of understand

Oct 30, 2018, 5:29 PM

that.

I don't understand it to the point of staying inside and playing video games for days on end or spending my life glued to a cell phone, but I understand it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you Jeremy Clarkson?***

Oct 30, 2018, 6:02 PM [ in reply to I get the mindset, and the world is moving in your ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best thing about living in Baltimore for 8 years.

Oct 30, 2018, 5:46 PM [ in reply to More power to you brother. I just don’t get it. I wish ]

I put maybe 7k miles a year on my car. I drove it to work, and drove it home. No problem walking whereever I needed to go after work. Grocery store, bar, haircut, everything was in the neighborhood.

We'd take an occasional road trip on the weekends, but usually once I got home from work on Friday, that car didn't move till Monday morning. If there had been a half decent transportation system that I wasn't in fear of getting stabbed on, I might have gotten rid of the thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fyfiddy on inshownce?

Oct 30, 2018, 7:01 PM [ in reply to More power to you brother. I just don’t get it. I wish ]

Da hayull? For tree of yous?

Teenage females are very expensive.***

Oct 30, 2018, 7:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 693
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic