Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Future of college
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Future of college

May 3, 2020, 8:03 AM

I teach at a university. We have been online since mid March. I honestly could get used to Zoom and working from home. I have noticed same trend in students as on campus. Students who want to succeed do succeed and others struggle. I am moving to industry soon so I am not pushing anything.

For those who don't know, enrollments for the fall are way down. They may pick up as uncertainty lifts, but they've been trending down for years most places. Something like 20% of schools, mostly small private liberal arts, were predicted to close in 10 years. Pandemic ia going to accelerate that. I have always said tuition at this level is unsustainable. This is one reason I am leaving. I see long term problems, and I will probably make double salary in 10 years from now.

The question is are major universities at risk now that there is a proven way to take classes at home? This would be very low overhead for whoever creates an online reputable program so very low tuition. Meanwhile, traditional colleges are swamped in debt from five star dining facility projects, etc.

Too many people go to college currently as evidenced by their lack of effort, but I would hate to see places like Clemson having serious ruin. I also dont want it to be a place only the rich can go.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, you're just the kind of Professor we want at Clemson

May 3, 2020, 11:40 AM

he said sarcastically! Dad taught at Clemson for 38 years and I can tell you he didn't do it for the money, he did it for the love of the students, molding them into the next greatest generation of Clemson students. Online classes are no substitute for classroom interaction. Poorly run colleges will fall by the wayside while others will flourish. Best wishes for a speedy transition into industry.

Re: Wow, you're just the kind of Professor we want at Clemson

May 3, 2020, 11:49 AM

I had wonderful teachers at Clemson. Maybe your dad was one of them (as long as his last name isn't Bishop). ;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^Which 'Bishop'

May 3, 2020, 1:55 PM

:)
I had both!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^Which 'Bishop'

May 3, 2020, 6:29 PM

I had one , but I heard they both sucked .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did it for six years and won two teaching awards

May 3, 2020, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Wow, you're just the kind of Professor we want at Clemson ]

I can't raise my family on this income. It is nice connecting with students but most of the time they do not care at all and you play defense on cheating.

At major schools, professor livelihood is tied to research money. They get paid more for that but teaching really gets in the way then. My point is it's a broken system, and cheaper alternatives can swoop in. I did six years of service. I would love for you to do the same.

Re: Future of college

May 3, 2020, 11:43 AM

A couple of thoughts:

I'm not sure the reason why the number of students committing to traditional colleges is because they are enjoying the online experience. I think it's because of their families economic uncertainty and because they don't want o commit to a school that will only be offering online in the fall. It's cheaper to attend tech schools online for a semester.

I think the overwhelming number of students still want the traditional college experience. However, I do think most colleges will expand their online offerings in the future but not at the expense of getting that dorm, meal plan, and athletic money.

I think colleges/universities like Clemson and other large public schools will be fine. They may lose some students during this health and economic crisis but there will be a bounce back in enrollment just like after 2008/2009. Remember, Clemson was set to grow their enrollment prior to this crisis. Smaller liberal arts colleges may suffer more as students seek more technical or medical degrees (based on who is hiring).

Last, it is interesting having this conversation at a time when (pre-pandemic) all the politicians were talking about how to manage student debt.

Just a few thoughts - Stay healthy Tigers

May 3, 2020, 1:33 PM

I agree with professor. campus will be for the affluent and well to do. I am so happy I was able to get an education at such a wonderful school. I hope you youngsters will emerge from challenging times. Keep safe and take care of your old folks.

May 3, 2020, 1:43 PM

Plus, a lot of people are realizing that graduating with degrees in most of majors is an absolute waste of money and leads nowhere.

For some of the degrees, you are correct!***

May 3, 2020, 1:56 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Intersectional Womyn’s Justice Studies for the win!***

May 3, 2020, 3:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Pheonix is on it***

May 3, 2020, 1:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope that's not the case. Especially with the youth of

May 3, 2020, 1:55 PM

today with all the home schooling, they need SOMETHING to teach them how to fend for themselves away from the pouch of their childhood home. The college experience covers lots of learning, and not just academic knowledge. The learn how to live mostly on their own, how to interact with new people, how to manage money and time, and in total (hopefully) how to be self-sufficient. The college experience is NEEDED by a lot of our youth today. I hope they don't become "on-line" until they are 21 or so, and then head out into the world on their own.

Re: I hope that's not the case. Especially with the youth of

May 3, 2020, 3:23 PM

College is a complete waste of time and money for many. We absolutely do not need every kid going to college. For the serious student who has goals and direction , then by all means go to college.

Re: I hope that's not the case. Especially with the youth of

May 3, 2020, 3:39 PM

Parents want to see their kids go to college and be successful.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree! Plenty of kids will not apply themselves at college

May 3, 2020, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope that's not the case. Especially with the youth of ]

and either will not make it or will major in something that does not significantly enhance their employment prospects or pay level. There are likewise PLENTY of occupations that kids can learn either in vocational school while still in high school or with shorter, concentrated education afterwards. Welding, mechanics, HVAC tech, etc. are great jobs that don't need a college degree.

Re: Agree! Plenty of kids will not apply themselves at college

May 3, 2020, 3:53 PM

Absolutely agree. Parents want their kids to be successful of course. Some can be more successful by going to college. Others can be more successful by avoiding college. The notion that you must go to college to be successful is hogwash.

Agreed. Former adjunct here. Here’s how I see the future:

May 3, 2020, 6:49 PM

Online plus local tutors for the majority of majors.

Some still attending traditional schools for some degrees - engineering, architecture, etc.

A greater widening of the haves vs. have nots with the highly selective schools.

Small schools, as you say, closing in droves.

Most kids no longer having the 4-year personal growth college experience that we imagine as the ideal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic