Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There IS prejudice going on in our country today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 5,079

There IS prejudice going on in our country today

Jul 27, 2020, 8:17 AM

and it affects many people in here including me.
Name one person with a southern accent that is a prominent national news or tv personality other than a sports personality or country music singer. There are no prominent actors, economist, TV news anchors or weathermen/weatherwomen who have a southern accent. Heck even country music radio host Bobby Bones was told he would have to lose his southern accent if he was to be accepted nationally. Our own Shawn Weatherly moved to LA to pursuit acting and was told she had to lose her southern accent. The list goes on and on and it is worse now than it was a few decades ago. Back then we had Burt Reynolds, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton as National figures with a southern accent. Even NASA had people with southern accents but not now. Do yankees, mid westerners and west coast folks associate a southern accent with low intelligence?
Excuse me while I organize a few protests and burn down a few buildings. Who's with me?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said

Jul 27, 2020, 8:24 AM

Prejudice is everywhere.

However, you can only say it exists if it impacts one group(s)

Now, I’m mad. Gonna go burn down a building.

Great, you can start with Sanford stadium...

Jul 27, 2020, 12:54 PM

and those crappy hedges.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There IS prejudice going on in our country today

Jul 27, 2020, 8:43 AM

There is certainly a nose up attitude towards Southerners in general as many in the corridors of power see southerners as ‘gun and bible clinging hayseeds’. However, they are out there. Its harder to identify in the news world because journalists (if you can actually call them that these days) are taught to use a ‘neutral’ accent. I think Midwest accent is considered ‘neutral’ so thats the pronunciation they push in training. I do think it is more of an issue in Hollywood. You wouldn’t believe how many Southern roles are filled with Brits and Aussies these days. They do a pretty good job convincing, but you’d think they could find some actual people from the South to fill those rolls.

You'd think they could find Southerners to fill those roles.

Jul 27, 2020, 1:04 PM

But then there is the issue of being able to read the $cript. I kid, I kid!

Message was edited by: PACIFIC BEACH TIGER®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of all words, why is $cript censored?***

Jul 27, 2020, 1:05 PM

Daniel Craig sold the Southern accent in "Knives Out"***

Jul 27, 2020, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: There IS prejudice going on in our country today ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jul 27, 2020, 8:43 AM

There is certainly a nose up attitude towards Southerners in general as many in the corridors of power see southerners as ‘gun and bible clinging hayseeds’. However, they are out there. Its harder to identify in the news world because journalists (if you can actually call them that these days) are taught to use a ‘neutral’ accent. I think Midwest accent is considered ‘neutral’ so thats the pronunciation they push in training. I do think it is more of an issue in Hollywood. You wouldn’t believe how many Southern roles are filled with Brits and Aussies these days. They do a pretty good job convincing, but you’d think they could find some actual people from the South to fill those roles.

Fully agree! And notice how if someone on......

Jul 27, 2020, 8:58 AM

TV speaks to someone from the South how they tend to make fun of their accent. But it they speak with somebody from Boston, Chicago, Brooklyn, Minnesota, etc. they never make fun of their obvious accents? You hear people with these non-Southern accents ALL THE TIME on TV shows, in the movies, in commercials , etc. This is a BS double-standard.

I’m hearing Y’all..

Jul 27, 2020, 9:31 AM

You hear!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think people unfairly associate Southern accents with a ...

Jul 27, 2020, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Fully agree! And notice how if someone on...... ]

lack of intelligence.

Having Mississippi around isn't helping things either.

SAM

Jul 27, 2020, 9:32 AM

Southern Accents Matter?

AAM!! ;-)***

Jul 27, 2020, 12:51 PM

On that note, one of my nieces got a PRTM degree at Clemson

Jul 27, 2020, 9:36 AM

a couple of years ago and ended up in a swanky hotel around LA. They told her she couldn't use the term "y'all" because it was too redneck.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lulz. Not with you.***

Jul 27, 2020, 9:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2020, 9:41 AM

There aren't people with Minnesota accents either.

I started taking private speech courses while

Jul 27, 2020, 10:06 AM

in high school in 1954. I went into broadcasting in 1959 and stayed in the business for over 40 years. Those of us from the South worked hard to lose our southern accent or you couldn't get jobs at the bigger stations. I was always a little jealous of the guys from the midwest because they did not have to worry about it. Jim Phillips was a perfect example.

Message was edited by: leo®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I Think Dan Rather Was As Close As It Gets ---

Jul 27, 2020, 10:17 AM

You can hear that Texan in him.

Jul 27, 2020, 10:22 AM

We talk real funny down heah
We drink too much and we laugh too loud
We're too dumb to make it no Northern town
We're keeping........

Jul 27, 2020, 10:51 AM

Randy Newman lives! I personally could care less what non Southerners think. My accent is not particularly thick, but I like being underestimated by those in the past who thought I might be a bit slow due to my origins. Being a quiet gunner is very satisfying.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Burning & rebuilding buildings may be in your self interests

Jul 27, 2020, 11:00 AM

Your point on accents has some merit.

Of course Country (and Bluegrass) music is an exception.

Jul 27, 2020, 11:12 AM

Matthew McConaughey is the only one I can think of off hand.

Matthew McConaughey

Jul 27, 2020, 11:18 AM

Woody Harrelson, Morgan Freeman, to name a few in entertainment.

Every southern governor and senator lays it on thick (except maybe Flaaahrida/Floooriduh). I haven't heard a Georgia accent like Brian Kemp's in nearly two decades. When you are represented at the top of the power structure, it's kind of difficult to claim prejudice.

Big difference in a southern accent

Jul 27, 2020, 12:42 PM

and a ‘country’ accent. I work with folks from all over the world and a southern or ‘folksy’ accent (I have a slight accent) doesn’t seem to solicit any negative response...in fact, I find it can be quite beneficial.

On the other hand, a thick country accent/drawl can be cringe worthy...and although certainly no indication of a person’s intelligence, I’ve not met one person with such an accent in any customer/corporate role in my almost 30 year career.

Re: Big difference in a southern accent

Jul 27, 2020, 3:41 PM

Now William Jefferson Clinton is a case study. Arky Po White Boy, somehow gets the scolly to Georgetown, Oxford and Yale Law...and still sounds just like me,(except i don't do the ah hu, ah hu, ah hu)laugh...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really do understand your point.

Jul 27, 2020, 12:49 PM

However, I think that most news organizations, for example, prefer more neutral voices for obvious reasons and nothing sinister.

I think it's for clarity. You don't see many thick accents in a lot of media and not just Southern ones.

The Latin news channels including ESPN South America I know prefer Colombians because they have clear more neutral accents and don't like Argentinian broadcasters because of their thicker accents.

The post is a little snowflakish, sorry.

Not really sure how famous this guy is,

Jul 27, 2020, 1:04 PM

but he has a STRONG Southern accent and is consulted often.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_S._Taylor

Also, Jeff Foxworthy is pretty well known. Tyler Perry, Steve Harvey, etc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jul 27, 2020, 1:49 PM

Put briefly, prejudice is the refuge of an insecure person--but sometimes it's better than the alternative. That's why prejudice is impossible to eliminate altogether.

Back in the 80's, I was interviewing for hourly jobs in the SF Bay Area because that'swhere my GF's family lived. I can't tell you how many interviewers made fun of the fact that my college degree and I were from the South. I wasn't applying for IT jobs in Silicon Valley, just common jobs. These prejudiced HR-wannabes seemed to think that having Stanford in their back yard raised the overall IQ level of the entire metro area. I cannot tell you how many of them I refused to work for. When I finally settled on the job I wanted, they gave me a raise every month for the 15 months I worked there. I guess Southern boys can do ok work, after all.

And I don't even speak with a Southern accent. I'm a Pennsylvania transplant, so it was not too difficult to eliminate my SC accent.

But unfortunately, I practice the prejudice, too. I have 5-600 sermons downloaded onto a jump drive in my car. They are from extremely diverse sources, denominations and regions (including outside the US). When I hear a preacher with a strong Southern US accent, it still surprises me later to hear him use proper grammar, good logic and build strong coherent arguments in his presentation; I'm just expecting to hear something on the 3rd grade level come out of his mouth. So I'm guilty, too, even though I am well aware that my prejudice can be wrong and I am always willing to listen and judge someone by the content of their character and the coherence of their thinking, not their regional affiliation or ethnicity.

Hi

Jul 27, 2020, 2:09 PM

Howdy Y'all
says "Hi" or maybe its "Howdy y'all"

There is the Caitlin woman on CNN from Alabama

Jul 27, 2020, 2:44 PM

But it is rare.

Ainsley Ernhardt

Jul 27, 2020, 3:12 PM

On Fox and Friends went to Coot U. I think she's from S.C.. Her voice is fairly neutral as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2020, 3:33 PM

I'm like Dirty Harry..Remember Fatso?.."Harry hates everybody..." and then reeled off everybody but White Samoan's... Then Harry winks...Subtle humor is lost today....

Yall just lissen up here a minute

Jul 27, 2020, 3:48 PM

There's nothing more disarming and powerful than a brilliant man sporting a southern accent. They get far in life using brains only idiots would deny they have.

LOTS of successful lawyers come to mind. They disarm you with their accent, make you think they're dumb, then use you for all you're worth. And in the legal profession, dismiss the lawyer with a thick southern accent who acts like a dumb country bumpkin....at your own risk.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yall just lissen up here a minute

Jul 27, 2020, 4:04 PM

Yes sir! Senator Sam Ervin from NC had a sloooow Southern drawl. He was a Harvard Law grad and was a big player during Watergate. Sly as a fox.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2020, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Yall just lissen up here a minute ]

And if said lawyer can bring up a little tear in his eyes at will , then he really has a recipe for success .

Jul 27, 2020, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Yall just lissen up here a minute ]

And if said lawyer can bring up a little tear in his eyes at will , then he really has a recipe for success .

Jul 27, 2020, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Yall just lissen up here a minute ]

You are referring to individuals who already have a right to be heard. They are free to color their manner of speech however they want; more power to them.

A professor in class, a lawyer in court, a Senator in session all have to be listened to; regardless of how prejudiced the listener is, he ignores those speakers at his peril.

But the rest of us have to keep the channel from being switched or the TD from being triggered, so we try to modify ourselves a little bit.

Replies: 38
| visibility 5,079
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic