Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Boyd vs Murray: Best QB battle in Death Valley history?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Boyd vs Murray: Best QB battle in Death Valley history?

May 6, 2013, 12:13 AM

Boyd vs Murray: Best QB battle in Death Valley history?

Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd and Georgia signal caller Aaron Murray are already being mentioned as potential first round draft picks in next year's NFL draft. Is it the best matchup of quarterbacks in the history of Death Valley? Does it rival the 1977 contest between Steve Fuller and Joe Montana? (Photos: USA Today) Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great article! Go TIGERS!***

May 6, 2013, 12:17 AM

Seriously

May 6, 2013, 12:33 AM

How can you even compare the tow QBs? Murray isn't on the same planet as Boyd.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: Seriously

May 6, 2013, 8:17 AM

A LOT of people like Murray. He's a good college quarterback, but he can't carry Tajh's jock.

Re: Seriously

May 6, 2013, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Seriously ]

I don't disagree. The thing to remember is that Murray has had a great OL in front of him his entire tenure, and TB has had anything but. I do believe our OL will be much improved this year, and there is some pretty good depth, too. This should be a great year for us, IMO. Will the game be a war? Yes, but a winnable one by us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Writer is uninformed with Boyds 2nd half stats

May 6, 2013, 1:06 AM

You can't compare the guy's 1st vs 2nd half stats when he wasn't on the field for being pulled early.

Re: Writer is uninformed with Boyds 2nd half stats

May 6, 2013, 7:03 AM

my immediate reaction, as well. Completely irrelevant.

So more interceptions in fewer snaps is a good thing?!?***

May 6, 2013, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Writer is uninformed with Boyds 2nd half stats ]

Sorry, but you can't top Fuller vs Montana...

May 6, 2013, 1:10 AM

and besides Aaron Murray is overrated, his game doesn't translate to the NFL. Murray's arm strength and accuracy is suspect.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is Aaron Murray overrated as a college QB?

May 6, 2013, 8:05 AM

He seems pretty dang good to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

0-3 vs SCar tells me he's overrated.

May 7, 2013, 2:44 PM

Nm

Re: Sorry, but you can't top Fuller vs Montana...

May 6, 2013, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Sorry, but you can't top Fuller vs Montana... ]

Agree with you...that was and will always be the Classic!! I will never forget that game and how it ended but how sweet it was when we went to Notre Dame and beat them AND got their coach fired!!!! Oh what sweet memories ...Tuttle was a freshman and that was an awesome day!!!

I think at this stage, Boyd and Murray are easily better QBs

May 6, 2013, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Sorry, but you can't top Fuller vs Montana... ]

and Murray is a dang good QB.

Knocking Murray's arm strength and accuracy shows

May 6, 2013, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Sorry, but you can't top Fuller vs Montana... ]

You have no clue of what you speak.

Murray's arm is NFL caliber. No question. He doesn't have the rocket launcher that Stafford had, but who does?

Wrong, it shows I do know what I'm talking about….

May 6, 2013, 10:33 PM

Sorry Murray doesn't have good arm strength, and that has nothing to do with comparing him to Stafford. And by accuracy, I'm talking about pin point precision NFL throws, not college completion percentage. Tim Tebow had a good completion percentage and everybody knows how terrible Tebow's accuracy is. Murray, unlike Boyd has never improved on making pin point precision passes throughout his career. There is about 20-25 college QB's I would take before Murray. Murray benefits from being on a talented team. You put Murray on a less talented team and he might not even have a starting job. Murray is like David Greene, able to do good when surrounded by some of the best players in college.

You couldn't be more misinformed

May 7, 2013, 9:25 AM

Murray has above average arm strength and very good accuracy.

He has excellent mechanics and footwork which allows him to drive the ball and make all the throws the NFL scouts like to see (e.g. the 15 yd out).

As for accuracy, he has the ability to put the ball where the WR can get it, but the DB can't. The evidence here is the back-shoulder throws that he makes to take advantage of the position of the DBs. To the layperson, a QB making a back-shoulder throw looks like an under-throw, but make no mistake, it is a calculated decision. It's a sight adjustment that the QB make by assessing the positioning of the DB covering the WR. It's designed to be able to fit a ball into tight coverage by throwing it where only the WR has a chance to get it. Murray is a master at this.

and what makes you not a "layperson" ? i think you are an

May 11, 2013, 4:56 PM

uga fan- no more no less. your post sounds like a mixture of different blogs rolled into one to get the best description of your starting qb. i still have not seen him perform above average in a big game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Understanding the nuances of the game makes me not a laypers

May 11, 2013, 6:48 PM

I`d be happy to discuss more examples with you, but I have a feeling they'd fall on deaf ears.

Re: Front Page Story: Boyd vs Murray: Best QB battle in Death Valley history?***

May 6, 2013, 7:52 AM

Re: Re: Front Page Story: Boyd vs Murray: Best QB battle in Death Valley history?***

May 6, 2013, 7:53 AM

Jeff Butler? C'mon man!

I was wondering when someone was going to call that.***

May 6, 2013, 9:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Re: Front Page Story: Boyd vs Murray: Best QB battle in Death Valley history?***

May 6, 2013, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: Front Page Story: Boyd vs Murray: Best QB battle in Death Valley history?*** ]

The illegitimate child of Jeff Bostic and Jerry Butler?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Front Page Story: Boyd vs Murray: Best QB battle in Death Valley history?

May 6, 2013, 8:15 AM

Two star studded quarterbacks!

One National stage! One night!

The night....will ultimately belong to the young man wearing #10.
(with the help of #2)

Mark it down!!

I hate when they only use stats like TDs and INTs. You have

May 6, 2013, 8:39 AM

to give those numbers more context. How many times is Boyd throwing the ball in the 1st half vs the 2nd half. What is his completion %? How does our run/pass ratio compare b/t the two halves?

Obviously if we are holding leads in the 2nd half and throwing the ball less it's going to lead to less TDs. Additionally, you can put your QB in more difficult passing situations when you try to bleed the clock and run the ball an abnormal amount of times b/c you inevitably end up with 3rd and longs.

I hate the comparison because the game has changed

May 6, 2013, 12:11 PM

since 1977....it's much more of a passing focus today so of course the stats will be much higher.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fuller vs Montana comes to my mind quickly *

May 6, 2013, 9:35 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fuller vs Montana comes to my mind quickly *

May 6, 2013, 9:58 AM

I was at the game in 1977....and to be honest I dont think anyone knew who Montana was...I think he came in in th 4th quarter and brought them back, but I do not remember a hyped up duel Fuller vs Montana....but I have to admit, he killed us the last 5 or so minutes of the game.

ND just lined up and ran the ball....

May 6, 2013, 1:48 PM

As I remember.... ND forced a Fuller fumble and basically lined up and ran the ball down our throats....Don't think Montana had to do anything but hand the ball off....

Montana kept throwing a little dump pass to their

May 6, 2013, 2:00 PM

big AA TE, Ken MacAfee...very big guy with soft hands...we never stopped it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boyd and Murray are better QBs. They are both seniors and

May 6, 2013, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Fuller vs Montana comes to my mind quickly * ]

a lot of people have high expectations for them this year.

Montana was drafted 3rd round and I believe he was only a Junior that many people weren't super high on.

May 6, 2013, 10:07 AM

I would still have to go with Fuller & Montana matchup. Fuller was a serviceable NFL QB after college and Montana was, well, Montana. While both Boyd and Murray are very good college QBs, to this point they haven't earned Fuller and Montana status.

Agreed.

May 6, 2013, 1:12 PM

Gotta go with Montana and Fuller at this point.

Murray and Boyd have a long way to go to even deserve to be in the same sentence.

May 6, 2013, 10:41 AM

Who is Jeff Butler? I remember Jeff Bostic and Jerry Butler but not Jeff Butler.

He was the Georgia kicker who beat us with the 61 yd field

May 6, 2013, 10:50 AM

goal ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

UGA PK Kevin Butler helped Fuller get the Super Bowl XX ring***

May 6, 2013, 1:42 PM

I'm really excited for this game.

May 6, 2013, 10:57 AM

The last time I was this excited for a game was Bama/Clemson opener. I hope this one has a different outcome!!

um, they haven't played yet***

May 6, 2013, 11:34 AM

Montana is one of the greatest QB's ever and Fuller

May 6, 2013, 12:10 PM

played in the NFL...hard to compare them to two kids who haven't played a down in the NFL. Tough comparison.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's "#### ball," David.

May 6, 2013, 1:10 PM

#### ball.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who is Jeff Butler?

May 6, 2013, 1:36 PM

Oh, JERRY Butler. From a Clemson beat writer, no less.

Both became Super Bowl champs but Fuller as a backup once.***

May 6, 2013, 1:49 PM

Seems odd Clemson never generated a star(ting) NFL QB.

May 6, 2013, 2:10 PM

The only Clemson NFL QBs that I can think of were career backups. Am I missing someone? Off the top of my head I can't think of another big-time football program like Clemson that has had so much success but that hasn't generated at least one consistently-starting (if not star) QB. Even mediocre football schools like Purdue generated several starting NFL QBs including stars like Bob Griese, Len Dawson, Drew Brees, et al.

I wonder why. I hope Boyd, et al change that.

Fuller started for a very bad Chiefs team for a few years***

May 6, 2013, 9:10 PM

Steve Fuller did start some in the NFL, although not a….

May 6, 2013, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Seems odd Clemson never generated a star(ting) NFL QB. ]

career starter.

Re: Steve Fuller did start some in the NFL, although not a….

May 11, 2013, 4:49 PM

He started a game or two in the superbowl season.

Re: Re: Front Page Story: Boyd vs Murray: Best QB battle in Death Valley history?

May 6, 2013, 6:58 PM

And don't forget#1,#25,and#16!!

Re: Re: Front Page Story: Boyd vs Murray: Best QB battle in Death Valley history?

May 6, 2013, 6:58 PM

And don't forget#1,#25,and#16!!

Re: I'm really excited for this game.

May 6, 2013, 7:01 PM

Yeah I remember how bowden screwed that game up, and it will be a different out come

May 8, 2013, 5:07 PM

was at that game, but don't remember montana. but can't forget the ND head coach giving fans the bird after the game.

Re: 0-3 vs SCar tells me he's overrated.

May 8, 2013, 2:13 PM

Can't that same argument be used against Boyd?

we are rivals. throw the record books out. the same can't be

May 11, 2013, 5:01 PM

said for uga and usuc, as much as anyone in the sec wants to promote it. it is a needed game within the sec for both y'alls teams, but the intense hatred is not the same as in the clemson/usuc rivalry. uga fans ( the whole 2 of them at work) are laughed at by both our teams fans.

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic